The 4 hour threat of a fine

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The 4 hour threat of a fine

Postby mairead » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Unfortunately, I am not able to organise my life around football matches, but anyway, I only used that as one example.
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:25 pm

mairead wrote:Unfortunately, I am not able to organise my life around football matches, but anyway, I only used that as one example.

I trust you're not suggesting they organise fitba' matches around your life????????????
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:38 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
mairead wrote:Unfortunately, I am not able to organise my life around football matches, but anyway, I only used that as one example.

I trust you're not suggesting they organise fitba' matches around your life????????????

*Briiing, briiiing*

Mairead-"Aye, hullo, is that you Watty! Listen, ah wiz plannin' oan gaun oot fur ma messages next Wednesday. Gaunny put that gemme against Barca back tae Thursday fur me?"

Watty- "Obviously, in particular, we were going to 'phone you first Mairead. Obviously, just to check....in particular, that it was fine for yourself "

Mairead- "Aye, ye fu)k!n' knew better!"

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:52 pm

I don't know a thing about football other than - you kick a ball with your foot - so apologies

If we assume your local squad plays Away every alternate weekend we could reasonable assume your shopping trip might be hampered 26 saturdays out of the year.

So we'll assume there is a delay getting folk in, the game, half time, the rest of the game, getting folk out. We'll be nice and say 4 - 5 hours tops. So 130 hours a year

Asda and Tesco are open for about 8700 hours.

Not much of a complaint
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:07 pm

dave3009 wrote:I don't know a thing about football other than - you kick a ball with your foot - so apologies

If we assume your local squad plays Away every alternate weekend we could reasonable assume your shopping trip might be hampered 26 saturdays out of the year.

So we'll assume there is a delay getting folk in, the game, half time, the rest of the game, getting folk out. We'll be nice and say 4 - 5 hours tops. So 130 hours a year

Asda and Tesco are open for about 8700 hours.

Not much of a complaint

The football season runs from August to April (not all year), only half the games are on a saturday the rest are a sunday, with the odd wednesday game thrown in for cups, therefore it is not even 26 saturdays a year but less.

Personally if I am going anywhere near a major football ground, I always check if there is a home game on and go a different day if possible. I certainly don't complain about the lack of parking when I know before I go out there is going to be a lack of parking for this very reason. I don't understand why some people can't just buy there shopping either a day earlier or a day later!
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mairead » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:31 am

I was not intending to open a football discussion.
The only point I am trying to make is that when non-shoppers in general (not just footie fans) fill up store car parks, they are taking up spaces meant for shoppers.
Maybe if some of you guys had to struggle a distance loaded with heavy shopping bags because you couldn't get into the store car park for non-shoppers vehicles, you would take the point.
These car parks are owned by whichever store for the use of their customers only, and are not, stricly speaking, public car parks.
How many of the football stadiums provide car parks sufficient for their fans?

PK
Your rudeness is not very nice. Are you always so nasty to folk who don't share your opinion?
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:42 am

mairead

I do all the shopping for our home. I take my children with me. I struggle to push my trolley to my car then I lift the heavy bags out of my trolley into my boot.

If you have an issue with your supermarket just change locations. I doubt you'd be more than about a mile to the next one.

In this case folk are complaining about Tesco Silverburn - So go to Asda Govan, OK it is more likely to suffer via the beautiful game. So why not go to Sainsbury's at the next junction, or Asda at Newton Mearns. Goodness if Glasgow is that bad Kilmarnock is a 5 minute drive and it has an Asda and a Tescos directly off junctions.

The time you'd sit in your car finding no space and whinging about it you'd could actually drive to Port Glasgow and do your shopping in Europes largest supermarket. It is a mirror image of the one at Silverburn except is a bit bigger
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:04 am

mairead wrote: Maybe if some of you guys had to struggle a distance loaded with heavy shopping bags

Well I can't drive so I've never had a choice. :(
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:39 am

Mark N wrote:
mairead wrote: Maybe if some of you guys had to struggle a distance loaded with heavy shopping bags

Well I can't drive so I've never had a choice. :(

I have a driving licence but no car. It's been that way for a long while now. Some years ago, when my partner and I were on the "broo" (do I have that right?) and living in the middle of nowhere, we couldn't afford the bus fare to the nearest town. The only shop in the village charged exorbitant prices for everything. There was only one thing for it: the wheelbarrow. Once a fortnight, I'd push the blighter all the way to Tesco, fill it up and drag it home again. Ten miles there, ten miles home. One winter evening, I was nearly home when our local Plod came down our road and stopped to take the piss.

"Well, you can't exactly nick me for speeding, can you?", I suggested.

"True, but you've got no lights and an unsecured load..."

The psychiatrists assure me I'm not mad.
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:48 am

Broo is fine but it sound better as buroo.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:21 pm

mairead wrote:I PK
Your rudeness is not very nice. Are you always so nasty to folk who don't share your opinion?

Aplogies if it came across that way.It was not my intention to have a go at yourself. It was only ever meant as a wee jokey post. I'm sorry if you saw it from a different angle.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mairead » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:14 pm

No problem PK. Thanks for apologising, I probably took your comment too seriously.
I am a somewhat elderly lady who lives in a very isolated spot in Argyll, and only have 2 small supermarkets near me. Both 15 miles away, and with very small car parks, and I do find it irritating when folk park in these and go off for the afternoon elsewhere, thereby limiting the spaces for customers.
I have had to park on more than one occasion, some distance away from these stores at pay car parks, so perhaps you can understand my annoyance. It's very difficult for me to carry my weekly shopping very far.
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby big/davie » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:04 pm

mairead wrote:No problem PK. Thanks for apologising, I probably took your comment too seriously.
I am a somewhat elderly lady who lives in a very isolated spot in Argyll, and only have 2 small supermarkets near me. Both 15 miles away, and with very small car parks, and I do find it irritating when folk park in these and go off for the afternoon elsewhere, thereby limiting the spaces for customers.
I have had to park on more than one occasion, some distance away from these stores at pay car parks, so perhaps you can understand my annoyance. It's very difficult for me to carry my weekly shopping very far.
just a wee suggestion,could you not maybe see if one of the supermarkets do home delivery for you to save you all the hastle.
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stevoknevo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:44 pm

big/davie wrote:
mairead wrote:No problem PK. Thanks for apologising, I probably took your comment too seriously.
just a wee suggestion,could you not maybe see if one of the supermarkets do home delivery for you to save you all the hastle.

Not a chance Davie. Being a frequent visitor to Argyll (Mid) myself, the only supermarkets are the co-op or Tesco. Both dont offer the service (at least in Lochgilphead they dont).
stevoknevo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)