Part time policing?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Part time policing?

Postby Morroccomole » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:20 am

Josef wrote:
Morroccomole wrote:The average salary for an A&E nurse is around £23000, although I stand to be corrected.:roll: This is well above being half the salary of a Police Officer as mentioned.

Point taken, but.. you'd have to be a really incompetent numpty not to make it above Constable level in thirty years.

I suspect your now at the wind - up with that last assumption :D
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Morroccomole
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:30 am

Morroccomole wrote:
Josef wrote:Point taken, but.. you'd have to be a really incompetent numpty not to make it above Constable level in thirty years.

I suspect your now at the wind - up with that last assumption :D

Perhaps a bit.

Although I will point out that of all of the friends 'n' family that have ended up in the service, the one and only person that I know of that remained a Constable all his days was a Highland bampot with a penchant for sticking the nut on neds that he happened to disagree with.

Excellent piper, mind.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Morroccomole » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:47 am

Josef,

following your train of thought then, any A&E nurse not promoted during their career must be an incompetent numpty. 8O
Morroccomole
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:03 am

They seldom last that long. Most of them probably sod off to the Police for an easy life.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Morroccomole » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:07 am

Josef wrote:They seldom last that long. Most of them probably sod off to the Police for an easy life.

::): ::): ::):

And a better pension!
Morroccomole
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:33 am

I don't know where Josef is getting his figures from but they don't appear correct.
Looking at the AfC payscales lets assume the A&E nurse is full time (many are not) and doesn't progress beyond band 5 (probably unlikley in a 40 year career), and I'm not taking into account shift premiums.
The nurse would come out with a pension of circa £13,800.
Nurses can retire at 55 at the moment (again recogntion of the type of work) but will suffer an acturial reduction if they don't have 40 years service at age 55, and many of this generation don't, having had to take unpaid career breaks for children in a way which wouldn't happen now.
Hardly a kings ransom.
They contibute 6.5% of their salary for this.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:03 pm

RDR wrote:I don't know where Josef is getting his figures from but they don't appear correct.
Looking at the AfC payscales lets assume the A&E nurse is full time (many are not) and doesn't progress beyond band 5 (probably unlikley in a 40 year career), and I'm not taking into account shift premiums.
The nurse would come out with a pension of circa £13,800.
Nurses can retire at 55 at the moment (again recogntion of the type of work) but will suffer an acturial reduction if they don't have 40 years service at age 55, and many of this generation don't, having had to take unpaid career breaks for children in a way which wouldn't happen now.
Hardly a kings ransom.
They contibute 6.5% of their salary for this.

Which bit are you taking issue with?

I've generalised, but I think the figures I've quoted are largely accurate, albeit it's a few years since I was forcibly privatised out of the NHS.

RDR wrote:Looking at the AfC payscales lets assume the A&E nurse is full time (many are not) and doesn't progress beyond band 5 (probably unlikley in a 40 year career), and I'm not taking into account shift premiums.

It's final-salary based, no? So premiums are nice whilst you're working but irrelevant in pension terms.

RDR wrote:Nurses can retire at 55 at the moment (again recogntion of the type of work) but will suffer an acturial reduction if they don't have 40 years service at age 55

Really? I thought 60 was the retirement age for NHS staff full stop, although you could always retire earlier than that with, as you say, an actuarial adjustment for age. Years of service were irrelevant.

The NHS pension operates on a 1/80th (1.25% PA) basis. The Police service is slightly over 2.2%. As has been pointed out, the Police officer will, as of next year, pay twice the pension contribution, which broadly tallies.

However, the NHS pension, based on the average UK male lifespan, is collected for up to 18 years, the Police one for up to 40.

So with 30 years service, an NHS employee will in retirement be paid 6.75 times their final salary; a police officer will be paid 26.4 times theirs.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:11 pm

The bits I had issue with was the suggestion a nurse would be on half of what a PC earns and couldn't retire until 60.
As its based on a final salary scheme, it is relevant what allowances are paid within the normal 37.5 hours working week (not overtime), because the calculation looks at the last three years of service.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:24 pm

RDR wrote:The bits I had issue with was the suggestion a nurse would be on half of what a PC earns and couldn't retire until 60.
As its based on a final salary scheme, it is relevant what allowances are paid within the normal 37.5 hours working week (not overtime), because the calculation looks at the last three years of service.

If allowances over and above the basic salary are included in the final-salary then I apologise, I got that wrong. I believed that the pension related to base salary rather then pay-packet.

Retiring from the NHS before 60 - that's semantics, basically. Whilst you can retire before that age, your pension will be reduced to account for the fact that you're not 60 yet, so to all financial intents and purposes you can't.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong on the relative salaries of Policemen (note : not PCs - that's a different thing) and NHS staff, but my guess is that the median wage of Policemen is broadly twice that of NHS staff.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:38 pm

On salaries that's a difficult comparison.
I'm not sure on the police wage scales but you would need to decide on what a like for like comparison consisted of given the complexities of the NHS pay structures. I would have agreed with your hypothisis about 15 years ago, but since then the salary of a basic level nurse versus a policeman has caught up, though I would agree there is a differnce still, just not as stark as you are suggesting.

Any allowance within the normal working week is counted for NHS pension purposes.

The employer cannot block any nurse who wants to go at 55, though I understand your issues with the financial side of it. Some nurses, in mental health, would not be finanacially compromised by going at 55, as there service is counted as doubled for pension purposes for as long as they have worked in that field (Boxer 6 should be able to confirm that).

Moving aside from pensions, privatisation of the police service also impacts on nursing staff, as some police forces employ them in custody suites.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:53 pm

Josef wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:.... unless you didn't want to. Many don't.

There's also the issue that the promoted post profile of police forces has changed a lot in recent years. It was something of a pyramid. It's now more of a pin and this process will only get more pronounced post single force restructuring.

first point accepted.

I genuinely don't know what your second point means. 'pin''?

Sorry, that started out as drawing pin by which I meant a wide base (head) with a long, thin point sticking up.

Where previously there might have been (rough numbers) 100 constables overseen by 15 sergeants with 6-7 Inspectors above them and 3 Chief Inspectors above them and so on up to 1 Chief Constable, it now looks as if there'll be 4-5 sergeants for that 100 constables, maybe 2 Inspectors above the sergeants (assuming the rank of Inspector survives) and a matching reduction all the way to the point where there's 1 'Chief Constable' for the whole of Scotland.

That's going to make promoted posts harder to find and increase the likelihood that eg an ambitious constable with experience of the streets of Govan or Partick might have to move to Skye or Selkrk to find a sergeant post.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:30 pm

RDR wrote:On salaries that's a difficult comparison.
I'm not sure on the police wage scales but you would need to decide on what a like for like comparison consisted of given the complexities of the NHS pay structures. I would have agreed with your hypothisis about 15 years ago, but since then the salary of a basic level nurse versus a policeman has caught up, though I would agree there is a differnce still, just not as stark as you are suggesting.

Any allowance within the normal working week is counted for NHS pension purposes.

The employer cannot block any nurse who wants to go at 55, though I understand your issues with the financial side of it. Some nurses, in mental health, would not be finanacially compromised by going at 55, as there service is counted as doubled for pension purposes for as long as they have worked in that field (Boxer 6 should be able to confirm that).

Moving aside from pensions, privatisation of the police service also impacts on nursing staff, as some police forces employ them in custody suites.

I replied to this point, and it disappeared! :evil:

Anyway ….. MH nurses used to have Mental Health Officer status, which meant the first 20 years counted as 1:1 for your pension, then 2:1 thereafter. Normally that would add up to 40 years and full pension, but you couldn't get it until age 55. Hence, when my OH retired at age 55, she had 33 years actual service, with the last 3 years making no added contribution to her final pension, though it did increase her lump sum by a couple of hundred pounds.

However since approximately 1992 (I think, could be later), qualified Mental Health nurses no longer qualify as Mental Health Officers, and hence are now required to work til full retirement age - 65 for most, at present, though no doubt older than that in due course, in line with any other nurse in the NHS.

I'm not as au fait with the actual figures as I could be, as along with many others, my ex-wife and I (she was a psychie nurse too!) opted out of the NHS pension scheme at an early stage, on advice from the then COHSE union reps, and so am in a private pension scheme.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Boxer6 wrote: along with many others, my ex-wife and I (she was a psychie nurse too!) opted out of the NHS pension scheme at an early stage, on advice from the then COHSE union reps, and so am in a private pension scheme.

Seriously? How's the projected pension coming along?

My frozen residual NHS pension looks like it's going to be the only thing between me and raking the bins outside Greggs, frankly.

Between me and the current employer I now pay 16% of salary into a Money Purchase pension, and the projected pension has actually decreased almost every year for the last three or four. It's currently projected to pay out a can of Irn Bru and a deep-fried pizza supper per month.

I exaggerate only slightly.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:55 pm

That pension's gone the way of COHSE.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Morroccomole » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:59 pm

Josef wrote:
RDR wrote:The bits I had issue with was the suggestion a nurse would be on half of what a PC earns and couldn't retire until 60.

If allowances over and above the basic salary are included in the final-salary then I apologise, I got that wrong. I believed that the pension related to base salary rather then pay-packet.

Retiring from the NHS before 60 - that's semantics, basically. Whilst you can retire before that age, your pension will be reduced to account for the fact that you're not 60 yet, so to all financial intents and purposes you can't.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong on the relative salaries of Policemen (note : not PCs - that's a different thing) and NHS staff, but my guess is that the median wage of Policemen is broadly twice that of NHS staff.

A very difficult comparison to make however the average Police Sergeant salary in Scotland is £38778. The nearest equivalent in the NHS, say a junior sister band 6, is £28858. Not exactly half as Josef suggested!!
Morroccomole
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)