Gay Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Gay Glasgow

Postby Peetabix » Thu May 14, 2009 9:34 pm

Mori wrote:Was it a gay bar or was this guy just tryin to joby jam me?

Jobby/joby jam has not been defined in the Urban Dictionary. Get defining people.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu May 14, 2009 10:06 pm

Please don't. I'm sure we can guess.

Duck, I think this earlier exchange about covers it. A misconception that is perhaps shared by more than just me. Must be the name. :)

Josef wrote:I have, without ever having been in the place, been under the impression for a good couple of decades that The Muscular Arms was a gay bar. Only to be informed this very evening that this was, in fact, a delusional impression. Anyone able to confirm either way? :?
Dexter St. Clair wrote:Whilst I'm sure some gays drank there it was more of a watering hole for accountants who always had the right money for a drink and women interested in accountants because of their imagined big wallets. It was even less of a gay bar than Tennents.

Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu May 14, 2009 10:27 pm

Whilst as a taxi driver I had two girls in the car doing thier upmost to shock me as they kissed and cuddled in the back, as I was not giving a fuck we all got talking and I asked to define what a lesbein was." Licking" they said. Is that right I said., ""well my wife has been a lesbbein for the past 15 years girls". Turns out they were just at it trying to get a free fare up to spam valley.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 14, 2009 11:00 pm

duck wrote:I'm intrigued by the several mentions of The Muscular Arms as a gay pub; in all the time I was on the scene it was never known as such.

Given it was the first sort of theme bar with a bit of colour in it what else could it be to the overtly heterosexuals of the time. Mind you this was the same mob that thought Freddie Mercury was straight.
They imagined that every pink shirted guy was going to get them drunk and bugger them.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Fri May 15, 2009 4:23 pm

Nice one Dex. The sad thing is that this same mob could not get it into their thick skulls that just because they had the "right equipment" didn't mean that we we were going to lust after them. Even sadder thing is that, in the case of most of them, no self respecting gay would have touched them with a barge pole!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark N » Fri May 15, 2009 6:54 pm

duck wrote:The sad thing is that this same mob could not get it into their thick skulls that just because they had the "right equipment" didn't mean that we we were going to lust after them.

Ain't that always the way :roll:

duck wrote: Even sadder thing is that, in the case of most of them, no self respecting gay would have touched them with a barge pole!

Ain't that always the way too ::):
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Caltonboy » Sun May 17, 2009 9:03 am

:D
Caltonboy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Sun May 17, 2009 7:11 pm

Talking of allegedly gay bars, I was recently told that the Three Judges in Partick is now gay after 7PM. I can't believe this is true! 8O
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun May 17, 2009 7:57 pm

I think there is a slight difference between an all male Bar (Glasgow tradition) and a gay bar (another Glasgow tradition). You may care to know there's an all private members male club in Riddrie. It might be gay too, then.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Raddled_Old_Queen » Sun May 17, 2009 8:08 pm

JumpingAtTheWoodside wrote:Talking of allegedly gay bars, I was recently told that the Three Judges in Partick is now gay after 7PM. I can't believe this is true! 8O

Hmm, must remember not to grope anybody at 6.59pm then.

Another establishment which "turns gay" at a given time each day is, of course, the Court Bar in Hutchison Street. Courts and Judges eh? -just as I always suspected!

The Court Bar has from the 80's "turned gay" at 8pm, whereupon not only did the staff change, but an alternative and HIGHER Price List was fetched from under the counter and affixed to the wall! The pink Pound indeed! This dual pricing practise only ceased when the licensing board prohibited "happy hours" by insisting that the same prices must apply from opening time to closing. I cannot confirm that Cllr Stephen Purcell had a hand (or anything else)in it.

::):
Raddled_Old_Queen
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Peetabix » Sun May 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Peetabix wrote:
Mori wrote:Was it a gay bar or was this guy just tryin to joby jam me?

Jobby/joby jam has not been defined in the Urban Dictionary. Get defining people.

Defined.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... obby%20Jam
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun May 17, 2009 8:48 pm

I always thought it was a made up phrase... ::):
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun May 17, 2009 9:01 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Sun May 24, 2009 11:06 am

Sorry, that video doesn't tell the whole story of the gay scene in Glasgow! They should have filmed karaoke at the Court Bar, or kicking out time at Bennett's. Or the swarms of fag hags in Delmonica's.
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Raddled_Old_Queen » Fri May 29, 2009 9:17 pm

JumpingAtTheWoodside wrote:Sorry, that video doesn't tell the whole story of the gay scene in Glasgow! They should have filmed karaoke at the Court Bar, or kicking out time at Bennett's. Or the swarms of fag hags in Delmonica's.

Not enough space to get a film crew into the Court Bar.

::):
Raddled_Old_Queen
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)