Jobs with Glasgow City Council

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Sat May 13, 2006 7:13 pm

I'm on the verge of giving up applying for anything with GCC, I can't even get an interview.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:57 pm

glasgowken wrote:I'm on the verge of giving up applying for anything with GCC, I can't even get an interview.

Your reputation procedes you my good man. ::):
Hows the job front anyway gk.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:37 pm

Funnily enough, just this morning I was looking at the sites of Glasgow, Renfrewshire and North Lanarkshire councils to see if there was any jobs going. Sadly not, at least none I'm qualified for. It's all social/health care or things like lifeguard! I've never applied for a job with them, nobody in my family has ever worked for them. I quite fancy working in a library, or doing some sort of research/archive job.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:51 pm

hazy wrote:
glasgowken wrote:I'm on the verge of giving up applying for anything with GCC, I can't even get an interview.

Your reputation procedes you my good man. ::):
Hows the job front anyway gk.

I gave up with GCC hazy, but still trying other organisations :( It's not easy at this time of year. very few places seem to be hiring.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:34 pm

GCC has a jobs freeze on at the moment but they're looking for Car parking attendants/school crossing patrollers.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:22 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:GCC has a jobs freeze on at the moment but they're looking for Car parking attendants/school crossing patrollers.

:( My dream job :cry:

:)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:51 pm

i recently got knocked back for a joba s a green meanie :D im now waiting to hear about my application for a job as a community safety patrol officer, my brother worked there for years as a park ranger and the only reason he got in was because a mate got him in so the myth might be true
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:15 am

I've applied many times and have never had an interview.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:20 am

Really? Howsabowt stating a umumumum entitled "Ask Dex" :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:34 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:GCC has a jobs freeze on at the moment but they're looking for Car parking attendants/school crossing patrollers.

The Work Benefits & Pay Review has alot to do with the job freeze at the moment, even the Council Insider has very little vacancies listed. After 'the review' has blown over the job opportunities will start to increase I think.

I benefited out of the review...for the meantime anyway.
"Ma kin ah dae a jobby?" Jobbies, jobbies are funny a bit.
Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:37 pm

I managed to get an interview on a recent application as a research assistant for the new transport museum.

never got in :( 128 people went for the 1 job.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bonz » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:11 pm

crazygray23 wrote:my brother worked there for years as a park ranger and the only reason he got in was because a mate got him in so the myth might be true

Hey all,

I've worked with the 'Corpy' now for two years and i've not seen any nepotism.

I knew nobody working with the Council when I joined.

I underwent two interviews for the position (one in particular at the Service's HQ was very intensive).

There may have been nepotism in the past, however in my opinion things have turned the full circle and I have found that there's less nepotism in GCC than any of the private sector employers i've worked with in the past.
Bonz
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Jobs with Glasgow City Council

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:27 am

Evening Times

Talks over future of another 8000 jobs

ANOTHER 8000 Glasgow council workers could be transferred to an arms-length company to curb what bosses claim is the threat of privatisation.
Council bosses are holding talks with unions over the creation of another limited liability partnership to run its home care, cleaning, janitorial and catering services.
The council also plans to reshape its land and environmental services department which could see cemeteries and crematoria, on-street parking, waste disposal services and disabled transport run by either private firms or arms-length companies.
The move follows claims that 10,500 council jobs were under threat from being put out to commercial tender as two departments failed to meet their three-yearly rolling financial targets.
Council leader Steven Purcell said: "If no action was taken by the council, it's likely that we would have been forced to put these services out to competition, and winning contracts would be very difficult."
But Alex Dingwall, the SNP's personnel spokesman and a Unison official, said: "Why are they rushing into a process the government is reviewing and could do away with, rather than await the outcome?"
The council has created about half-a-dozen LLPs, including City Building.

Publication date 15/04/08
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:06 am

Mori wrote:Evening Times

Talks over future of another 8000 jobs

But Alex Dingwall, the SNP's personnel spokesman and a Unison official, said: "Why are they rushing into a process the government is reviewing and could do away with, rather than await the outcome?"

Publication date 15/04/08

No wonder he's known as Dingbat.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:11 pm

Strathclyde Region won most of the contracts put out to tender under Conservative regulations. They lost two cleaning contracts due to corrupt methods employed by the winning bidder. That bidder ended up employing cleaners who were signing on , or pupils of the school they cleaned. The contracts were eventually taken back by the council and the winning bidder retired to Australia. His background was in scrap metal not in cleaning.

Steven Purcell is Nicholas Ridley with hair.

Liverpool's servcies were handed over to so called "arms length" companies by the ruling Lib Dems. Public services have not been improved nor council tax reduced but several individuals can now afford to support Manchester United.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)