Incident on Argyle Street today....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Incident on Argyle Street today....

Postby LostSoul » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:26 pm

There was a bus was sitting with it's engine running on the turn from Argyle Street into Queen Street, entirely cordoned off with Police tape, with various Police and First Service folks both on the bus and around it - Argyle Street completely closed off to traffic at the other end and more Police standing around. Anyone have any idea what was going on ??

I initially thought someone had been knocked down but no sign of an ambulance, bus seemed un-damaged so don't think there was a collision with another vehicle. Maybe some sort of violent incidence on the bus itself ?
FIR F**K'S SAKE....S E A R C H
LostSoul
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:35 pm

poss someone been knocked down and already away? happens somewhat regularly at that corner, even though they have the countdown on the lights there.
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby LostSoul » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:51 pm

Maybe, whatever it was it must have happened a good half hour or so before i walked past. That is a bad corner for folk throwing themselves in front of moving traffic, and i assume it gets a lot worse with all the Christmas shoppers around.
FIR F**K'S SAKE....S E A R C H
LostSoul
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby McShad » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:58 pm

It was alot worse when most of the buses turned down the side of Debenhams. First person to be killed on that corner was in my year at school.... not a close friend, but a friend.
The current traffic lights change quite rapidly in favour of pedestrians and they include a countdown between the red and green men until it goes green
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:41 pm

If it's something serious it's bound to be in the ET.

When I came home on Fri night/Sat morning, about 2am, there was a police car and a police minibus sitting lights flashing on QM Drive, just past the bridge opposite the pharmacy on the Maryhill side. Two police in the police car, 6 (?) or so police standing outside the bus, a small car parked on the road (not sure it had anything to do with whatever the incident was) and one guy speaking to them - not like a suspect though, more as a witness. There was nothing cordoned off but seemed really bizarre to have such a huge police presence there with no sign of anything having happened, unless it was an assault or something. When there was an attempted armed robbery at the pharmacy in August they had it all sealed off for ages so would have expected similar had it been a crime scene. Don't suppose anyone knows about this though?
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:30 pm

McShad wrote:It was alot worse when most of the buses turned down the side of Debenhams. First person to be killed on that corner was in my year at school.... not a close friend, but a friend.
The current traffic lights change quite rapidly in favour of pedestrians and they include a countdown between the red and green men until it goes green

I was always annoyed they closed that off- take buses on a looong diversion.

Always amazed at the disregard some people have at that corner- it's been bad for some time, yet whatever they do it doesn't seem to work
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:48 pm

Darwinism at work thinning the herd :twisted:

J
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:26 pm

All this public transport chat reminds me I haven't seen a good bus-engine fire in ages.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby McShad » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:29 am

Field Marshall Shug wrote:All this public transport chat reminds me I haven't seen a good bus-engine fire in ages.

Gone are the days of sitting near the back of the Atlanteans, getting your skin burnt off by contact with the leather seats directly against the laboured engine
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:07 pm

Field Marshall Shug wrote:All this public transport chat reminds me I haven't seen a good bus-engine fire in ages.

Was one on Paisley Road West on Monday afternoon, opposite Harry Ramsdens, back end of a bendy bus very melted.

All the city bound traffic was diverted through the Quay car park.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:27 pm

yeah, saw that as I went past in the evening.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:00 pm

McShad wrote:

Gone are the days of sitting near the back of the Atlanteans, getting your skin burnt off by contact with the leather seats directly against the laboured engine

Aye, and the stink of diesel fumes :)
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)