Irn Bru trucking?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Irn Bru trucking?

Postby Apollo » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:56 pm

Glasgow shopkeepers have been exposed for using glass Irn Bru bottles to lock-in their customers by refusing to return the refundable 20 p glass bottle deposit. Instead, they are offering their customer's 20 p credit per bottle, refundable against further purchases from their store.

The council's trading standards office seems unable to offer any useful advice, noting that the customers are entitled to have their deposit returned from the shop they purchased from, but also that there may be issues about proof of purchase.

Barr's say they encourage shopkeepers to return the 20 p deposit, but shopkeepers say it's not clear if the refund should be in cash or in kind.

All in all, a bit of a sad tale to originate in the home of the world famous drink, and not much of an advert.

(trucking - truck shops were owned by factories, and sold food and provisions. Factory workers were paid in tokens, which were only accepted at their factory's truck shops. The owner got his money back, plus whatever profit was levied as the workers could not spend there tokens elsewhere. Yes, pubs were included too, so the owner got nearly all the wages back from the workers).
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Margaret » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:35 pm

This has been an issue for as long as there has been a deposit on bottles.
Shops and pubs used to stamp the labels and would only take back bottles with their own stamp and as any good midgie raker could tell you torn labels were not acceptable...
Margaret
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:54 pm

The guy in the shop downstairs from me insisted upon getting a purchase out of me - I wasn't best pleased. I save the bottles up now and put it towards my Sunday paper!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:04 pm

Margaret wrote:This has been an issue for as long as there has been a deposit on bottles.
Shops and pubs used to stamp the labels and would only take back bottles with their own stamp and as any good midgie raker could tell you torn labels were not acceptable...

The Hillpark shops used to do that. It was a wee snowflake type thing.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tarzan-bridge » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:09 am

Margaret wrote:This has been an issue for as long as there has been a deposit on bottles.

We used to make counterfeit stamps from potatoes, you'd just carve out something similar to the shop's stamp and smudge it on the label.

In California to return refundable bottles you take them to a collection point and fill a form with your name and address, the amount of bottles, colour etc.The bottles are returned to the supplier and, I assume, the money gets to you.
We just made out our receipts to the guy working at the collection point, a container situated in a shopping precinct, I had the impression he lived in it.
Life's too short.
tarzan-bridge
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:01 am

We used to take them from the back of a cafe in the south side and take them round the front and purchase ice cream with their own empties.If asked if we had got the irn bru there at least we could be honest about that. :wink:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:07 pm

This has been going on for years, shops around where I live have never given you cash, always "you need to buy somthing".

Anyway, don't buy Irn Bru. If it looks like pish, and smells like pish, it must be pish.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:10 pm

8O Get the gallows ready!!!

(Secretly agrees)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Linda » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:26 pm

We used to go around and collect bottles from our neighbour's and anywhere else you could find them and then spend the whole lot on sweets. We never came across stamps or anything like that.

Cumbo...the cafe on the Southside and the Royal Burgh of Rutherglen sound awfy familiar!

Linda
Linda
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:36 pm

:oops:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)