Portkil and Rosneath

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Portkil and Rosneath

Postby Apollo » Tue May 11, 2004 8:23 pm

Had a quick search on Portkil and Rosneath in here and nothing come up, so this may be of interest.

Check the War & Defence section at http://www.coveandkilcreggan.com/histor ... enulevel=8

Although nothing remains of the Rosneath naval base pictured, a small unsigned single track road to the left, a few hundred yards before the Kilcreggan ferry pier leads to the hamlet of Portkil (it's the residents only access, so be kind and walk the last part or you'll have to park in their gardens :) )

At the end you will be rewarded by the gun mounts for the Portkil battery, integrated into the houses that are there now. Below these is e deep trench with recessed doors leading under the battery. On the approach to the battery, I recall there may have been a store or larger entrance, but the weather was traditional Scottish and detailed vision was beginning to suffer, and it seemed to keep the local well bolted indoors too.

Sorry I can't post any pics at the moment as this was a whle ago and I have prints only and no scanning capabilities up at the moment, but seems a shame not to let anyone know that's maybe interested.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue May 11, 2004 8:42 pm

I walked that path a few years ago but didn't notice any of the interesting stuff :oops: We were on a pub mission from Rosneath that day.

I'll need to go and check it out. :D

Cheers for the link Apollo. Nice 1
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue May 11, 2004 9:04 pm

Perhaps the pub excuses you ::):

The interesting stuff is quite literally at the end of the road, I made the mistake of driving there and ended up driving into someone garden/front yard, then having to do a 3 (10) point turn in a single track road with grass/mud at the edges :twisted: .

Best idea is to abandon the wheels somewhere around Ensign Motifs factory building, good bit only about 50 yards further on.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)