Dealing With Neds, Junkies, Polis and Security

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Dealing With Neds, Junkies, Polis and Security

Postby Strike Team » Thu May 06, 2004 7:57 pm

About 10 years ago I was trying to unwind during the break between 2 exams, so I decided to explore the Kirklee line. I traced it on the surface from Kelvinbridge, through Botanic Gardens to what was Kirklee station, and is now a block of flats. I spent a while wandering around the flats, on public ground, figuring out where everything used to be, when a cop car arrived. Obviously someone had thought I was a burglar. The cops sat in the car and stared at me, and I stood and looked at them back. This continued for several minutes until the cops decided I was no threat and they drove off. (This wasn't my first contact with the polis that day - some eejit ran into the back of my car on Queen Margaret Drive that morning, just what I needed before an exam. The police underwater unit was passing, and they stopped to check no-one was hurt, then went on their way. Turned out they were on their way to fish mortar bombs out of the Clyde.)

A lot of the old buildings are ned-infested, with the odd junkie too. The question is, how do folks handle/avoid the cops, neds, etc. they might come into contact with? I noticed that there are a few piccys of neds posing for the camera on hiddenglasgow.com, I wonder if taking taking thir piccies is a good "de-escalation technique" to stop them causing problems?
Strike Team
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri May 07, 2004 7:25 am

well, so far the only neds that i've actually came accross have really just been kids. And once they have ascertained you arent a threat to them are just curious about what you are doing... "a project" is usually a good answer to give, kids understand projects.

How to handle the buckfast swilling, glue sniffing variety??? Well, hopefully I wont have to!!!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby duncan » Fri May 07, 2004 9:21 am

don't think i've ever had a run in with the police, surprisingly. your tactics at the time sounded good. i'd suggest cooperation with the law is probably the best strategy, otherwise you open yourself up to all kinds of risks.

similarly with security - the best thing is obviously to avoid them and not get spotted in the first place. but if you do, don't run off or anything like that - try and keep the head and act as if you're not doing anything wrong. sometimes they'll be cool if you're just taking photos, other times they might ask you to leave, so do that (but plan on getting back later).

neds are just young boys, nothing to fear from them. they're usually up for a laugh, and if they see you taking photos they'll usually try and pose for you without needing to be asked! also they can sometimes have useful info with regards security, cool things to see in whatever building you're in, etc.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri May 07, 2004 9:24 am

there was a quote in those infitration fanzines

"security are like bears, if you run they will chase you!"

or something like that.

Always make sure you dont appear to be a threat, and they wont try to zap you with their tasers!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby duncan » Fri May 07, 2004 9:24 am

also, i've never encountered junkies or homeless guys while exploring. often see signs of skippering in various places i've explored, but never actually seen anyone at these places.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Fri May 07, 2004 9:43 am

I encountered a junkie once - at Killie Old Infirmary.

He was ok.. Well; he calmed down after we broke his nose.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Fri May 07, 2004 11:24 am

What is 'skippering' ?
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Fri May 07, 2004 12:07 pm

slang for sleeping rough
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri May 07, 2004 5:15 pm

Im my expeirence od dealing with the buckfast lot, is keep them at arms length and just tell them what they want to hear, Neds are usually scared of you, which is why they act the way they do, if get them involved, sometimes they can be a wee bit helpful, just be wary, and never go on your own.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sat May 08, 2004 7:11 pm

oiiiiiiii i was a security guard and i ant a bear :cry:
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)