More Flats....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Flyingscot » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:35 pm

Newlands was a tram depot, and was a fantastic sight I am told. As you enter Morrisons, you can see pitures of the depot and frosted into the Glass is a outline of trams.

Possils out of use IIRC. Parkhead, Scotstoun, Larkfield and Motherwell are First's Garages. Larkfield's new garage is watch this space. Some say it is on the printing works further towards the city, other folk have told me Cathcart Road at Crown Street. Deffo South Side though from the rumour mill.

A new garage is also meant to be built in Bellshill too but not much use for the south side of Glasgow. I had seen a bit about First World HQ in Aberdeen that was causing an almightly row with residents.

Larkfield went for £9 million if your interested and is a huge site, if you've been never been past it. It's buildings are a bit decayed now, but are an interesting style. But it's easy to get residential permission, brownfield after all!

I was involved in this project to a limited amount, infact didn't do much but read a few reports on it! However it is of note that apparently it's possible to sell Luxury Flats on a bus only road in Govanhill opposite a petrol station and with a motorway (about to be) 250yrds away...

Apparently however, most of this is down to the fact First are about to get their a*se kicked over maintenance and timekeeping and may loose a chunk of their license, and/or a huge fine. As a result they have cancelled and made a huge chunk of changes from the end of this month (take note!) to soften the blow. On the other hand the Scottish Exec are handing out money so their is now more Police station tours, sorry night buses. They apperently need more modern facilities, so Larkfield is for the chop.

Shame it was a nice building something souless will nodoubt replace it.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:53 pm

stinkpad wrote:
I seem to remember when they built those flats one of the entrances was made to look like a bus crashing out of the wall. Can anyone else confirm this or is time playing tricks on me?

Stinkpad.

Yes the show flat had a bus theme around the front window.
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:38 pm

i think they are building a new fisrt depot in hamilton - not sure tho
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby theboyjohnston » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:27 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:Parkhead Garage lasttime I past was still in use. I think the Possil Garage is still standing but not in use :?

Fossil

GCC are in the process of selling vacant land at Helenvale/Newbank adjacent to the Parkhead garage. I think First Bus wish to retain the site but may have been receptive to reconfiguring their set-up and integrate with the proposed development.
theboyjohnston
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby glasgowken » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 am

There's a few pics of the closed Knightswood bus garage on this site.

http://www.geocities.com/glasgow_bus_pi ... swood.html

The large shed at the rear, and the fueling, washing points, have since been demolished.
It would be nice to have a nosey round the admin block, & the maintenance shed.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:42 am

Back in the late fifties/early sixties I lived right across the road from Knightswood garage. I was always getting sent over to get shillins for the gas meter! There used to be a huge mirror at the door for drivers and clippies to check their uniforms before they started their shift. Do First Bus have the same? Hmmm
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:46 am

::): Doubt it, they are total middens. Although those purple uniforms don't really lend themselves to looking smart.
In the old days they would have gotten a 3 day suspension for having unshined buttons 8O
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:22 am

glasgowken wrote:In the old days they would have gotten a 3 day suspension for having unshined buttons 8O

Plastic doesn't really shine in the same way though

Alan
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:52 am

The newly opened depot on South Street is causing a traffic nightmare for the Scotstounhill/Scotstoun roads. The number of buses having to use 2 lanes to take a 90° turn left onto Queen Victoria Drive is ridiculous, and a danger to drivers and pedestrians alike. The roads are not suited to such a volume of heavy vehicles. Surely GCC have an alternative route planned?

Regarding the now defunct Knightswood depot, are the buildings now entirely derelict? What are they planning to build in its place?

Tim
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:44 pm

Timchilli wrote:The newly opened depot on South Street is causing a traffic nightmare for the Scotstounhill/Scotstoun roads. The number of buses having to use 2 lanes to take a 90° turn left onto Queen Victoria Drive is ridiculous, and a danger to drivers and pedestrians alike. The roads are not suited to such a volume of heavy vehicles. Surely GCC have an alternative route planned?

Regarding the now defunct Knightswood depot, are the buildings now entirely derelict? What are they planning to build in its place?

Tim

Houses.

As for Scotstoun, probably not meant to use that road, but GCC cannot stop buses using any road they like. :roll:

Anyway South Street is home to much more than First, there are at least 4 other firms with depots there!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:51 pm

Flyingscot wrote:
Houses.

Yeah! What about the houses :?:

in fact it was more flats.... IIRC not buses.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: More Flats....

Postby Socceroo » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:31 pm

Flyingscot wrote:Yep, more flats, presumably luxury this time on Victoria Road, at the site of the Bus garage. Don't know but it probably dates from the 1920's so another bit of history bites the dust.

Went out about 10 o'clock tonight to get petrol and blow up some seriously soft tyres. Headed down Cathcart Road with the intention of getting petrol in the Fuel Station opposite the Bus Garage on Butterbiggins Road / Victoria Road.

It ain't there any more its shut.

Presently being dismantled - i don't think you demolish Fuel Stations for obvious reasons. No doubt flats - of the luxury variety will appear there soon.

Quite a few of our City Petrol Stations seem to be disappearing. There is a couple vanished in Shawlands for..............wait for it ...................... luxury flats.

Soon i'll need to go up to East Kilbride for fuel, i might as well go and live there.........Perhaps not.

Might be a new topic / thread. Where are the hidden fuel stations in Glasgow when you want one. :?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:50 am

AlanM wrote:
glasgowken wrote:In the old days they would have gotten a 3 day suspension for having unshined buttons 8O

Plastic doesn't really shine in the same way though

Alan

True, it's a shame though, the old double breasted green uniforms, with their brass buttons, looked very smart 8)

Yep, flats are planned for the old Knightswood site. Although the listed admin block is supposed to be staying, to be converted into.............luxury flats! :roll:
The Glasgow coat of arms is supposed to still be there under the Firstbus sign at the front of the building.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:45 am

Flyingscot wrote:
As for Scotstoun, probably not meant to use that road, but GCC cannot stop buses using any road they like. :roll:

Actually the GCC(possibly requiring Scottish Executive approval) can designate roads as not for vehicles over a certain weight, which would be the equivalent of a 'no entry' sign to buses and hgv's
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:38 pm

glasgowken wrote:::): Doubt it, they are total middens. Although those purple uniforms don't really lend themselves to looking smart.
In the old days they would have gotten a 3 day suspension for having unshined buttons 8O

In the 30s my grand-dad had all his teeth taken out so he could get a job driving trams. They could insist on a perfect set of teeth then, so it was off to the dentist he went to get them taken out and false teeth put in.
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)