Gilshie, Cumbie, Posso

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby JoeyCape » Wed May 18, 2005 10:54 pm

Yep, used to live in Montford as a kid and "monkeyland" seems familiar. Maybe it's because of all the trees there? :?

My mate told me that there was/is?? a gang in Petershill called the "Peasie Moonmen", if true that has got to be one of the best gang names ever!!!!
JoeyCape
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Wed May 18, 2005 11:45 pm

I worked in Brigdeton in the mid 90's and there was still alot of gang activity around then.

Abercromby Street seemed to be the demarcation line between the Baltic Fleet and Calton Tongs because one side of the street was festooned with Baltic Fleet graffitti and the other with Tongs 'menshies'.

On a more up-to-date note, according to a friend of mine who delivers pizza's down Toryglen way the Glasgow street gang tradition is very much alive (and stealing pizzas/pizza delivery money)!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Seamey » Thu May 19, 2005 8:50 am

How could I forget the Drum
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Thu May 19, 2005 9:12 am

I used to see the gangs in Tolcross Park running at each other. Each would take turns in chasing the other it was all rather funny.

on a lighter note the weirdest thing I have seen in Tollcross Park is a guy (I presume it was a guy) dressed in a Ku Klux Clan outfit clinging to the roof of a Vauxhall Cavillier being driven at speed through the park early on a Sunday morning!!!!! 8O
Where the music stinks, and they water the drinks, ...at the nudie bar
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Thu May 19, 2005 10:05 am

The book on the subject is "Tongs ya Bass" by R.G. Mc Callum. It list all the gang names and territitories. If someone can tell me how to post an image i will scan the list.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Thu May 19, 2005 1:40 pm

scan it, upload it to photobucket (or email it to me if you can't be arsed opening an account - my name @ gmail.com) and then (img) x (/img) with the url instead of the x, and with square brackets.
"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby germistonguy » Thu May 19, 2005 10:44 pm

http://www.gangland.net/glasgow.htm has a little info

Also http://www.btinternet.com/~sarsen/tongs/ WAS interesting but seems to be dead now. I did try a little jiggery pokery to see if it had been archived http://web.archive.org/web/20040611153515/http://www.btinternet.com/~sarsen/tongs/
but no luck :cry:
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri May 20, 2005 1:23 am

Thank you for trying though :)
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Southside Gangs

Postby Doberman » Wed May 25, 2005 7:00 pm

The Bundy came from Pollok, The Toon from Arden.

As kids, we watched them fight in the fields between the two areas (now Darnley).

The police would sit in a van on the main road and pick up the wounded.
Doberman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mrlipring » Wed May 25, 2005 10:35 pm

"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alasdair » Thu May 26, 2005 2:32 pm

You could also change all the Hill places, e.g. Broomhill, Scotstounhill, to "Broomhuw, Scotstounhuw, Jordanhuw" etc. Most people seem to pronounce it that way.
Alasdair
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Bowrie in Scotstoun and TagSlagging

Postby adouglasmathie » Tue May 31, 2005 1:02 pm

Around about Victoria Park there are lots of "Bowrie" tags. Given this is a Barhhead gang name I am a bit confused. Can anyone shed light on this.

Also in the underpass under Balshagray Drive (between Broomhill and Vicky Park) some person with a marker pen and a degree of intelligence has started answering back to the tags. The comments vary in quality from "Does it for sweeties" next to a girl's name, or "Rubbish Tag You Prxck"" to "Don't waste our council tax you knuckledragging social underclass" type comments.

I have mixed feelings about anti-vandalism vandalism. But then again the wall is going to need re-painted anyway. On balance it made me smile.

Then again if I find it was a bunch of middle class goth schoolkids then I may have to reconsider.

Perhaps we should start a "TagSlagging" or "MenshieBuster" trend and/or thread.
adouglasmathie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue May 31, 2005 6:26 pm

Around about Victoria Park there are lots of "Bowrie" tags. Given this is a Barhhead gang name I am a bit confused. Can anyone shed light on this.

The Broomhill Bowrie run amuck on a regular basis between 3:30pm and when their private tutors arrive at their doors.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Nikki » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:07 pm

The bowrie tags in that area belong to YMB (Young Mental Bowrie), based around Whiteinch.

I'd also like to point out that in the west central area, the different gangs are friendly with each other (AYT, HYT, YPX, YPF, YMB, YSF).
Nikki
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby paladin » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:07 pm

Nikki wrote:
I'd also like to point out that in the west central area, the different gangs are friendly with each other (AYT, HYT, YPX, YPF, YMB, YSF).

Is that because they all have a 'Y' in their tag?
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)