Night time food vans...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Night time food vans...

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:46 am

We used to see these vans scattered throughout the city, they mainly served taxi drivers and folks falling out of nightclubs. When the Tuxedo Princess was berthed on the Clyde there was a food van doing a roaring trade. Up the road to Charing Cross at the lean to fountain, there was a van (which I still think is parked there) and then around the corner in Woodlands there was one as well as the famous Maggie, outside Botanic Gardens.

None of them seem to be operating anymore, I know the pandemic screwed them over but does anyone know why they're no longer operating?

Are there any vans left in the South side of Glasgow? Eglington Street used to have one but this appears to be a vanishing part of Glasgow.

I so wanted to introduce my daughters to a heart attack on a roll with a Scooby snack, alas I'll have to do the homemade version instead....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Night time food vans...

Postby BTJustice » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:18 pm

I remember stopping at the food van at the end of Prospecthill road many a time on the way home from a night out. There were a row of garages and a food van on the corner but the disappeared when Toryglen Asda was built.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:32 pm

Thanks for replying BT

I remember that one too for yesteryear... I'm just curious as to why the vans are still situated in places like Queen Margaret Drive but never open. These guys fork out a pretty penny for their licence and pitch with the council and they're not bringing in any revenue now and I'm missing my once a decade 'Scooby Snack'.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:57 pm

Was working a night shift recently and funnily enough, as I was working with a fellow old-timer this was brought up as we were looking for somewhere for food at 3 in the morning. Given the number of all-night Mcds, I suspect that's contributed to driving the more traditional all-night vans out of business. One lassie I know who runs a snack van in Hamilton says she makes enough during the day and doesn't want the hassle of opening at night as well.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:36 pm

I notice the 'Maggie' on Queen Margaret Drive is parked on its usual spot at Botanic Gardens but it is never open, they had another two vans operating in the city, one up near Woodlands Road and the other at the fountain at Charing Cross, the latter left the area years ago. The one going towards the Park district was popular with taxi drivers and students as was the Maggie at QMD but it remains closed. I remember it as the home of the Scooby snack.
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mercury » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:24 pm

There is two just up from Shawfield.
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)