Doorstop

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Doorstop

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:33 am

Wasn't sure where to put this, so apologies if it's incorrect.

I wanted to let those of you who remember the very excellent Doorstop, aka Ross, and don't use Facebook, that last Wednesday he sadly succumbed to the cancer that has attacked him over the past several years.

Unlike some/many of you here, I never actually had the pleasure of meeting Ross in real life, though many a pleasant conversation over many mediums were had, all thoroughly enjoyed - by me at least, can't speak for him! A very thoughtful, kind and erudite man, able to make people think deeply and laugh outrageously, almost in the same breath, despite his illness and the horrendous pain that was part and parcel of that; indeed, he was making quips on FB right up til the day before he passed.

For someone I never met, Ross's death has hit me very hard, even though we all knew it was coming; it's ALWAYS too soon, isn't it?

RIP my friend.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Doorstop

Postby banjo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:42 am

thank you boxer for letting us know that.sad news indeed.i .met ross allan aka doorstop on a few occasions and he was one very sharp witted and intelligent man.a smashing photographer who shared many of his pics here on hidden glasgow.doorstop lived close to me and i always looked out for him as i passed his place on the way to knightswood golf course.he was a former junior powerlifting champion in his younger days and used to be a nightclub doorman .now this may paint a picture of ross being some kind of hired heavy but he was anything but that.he was a kind gentle human being.i do not do facebook so had lost contact with him this past while and in fact my mrs was asking about him just last week.rest in peace ross you were loved by all who met you and as boxer6 has said even if it was only on social media you just felt a connection with him. :cry: :cry: :cry:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:01 pm

Well said chaps, RIP Ross
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:57 pm

Sad news indeed, and a great loss to HG. Vale, Doorstop.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:08 pm

Been on this site for years and over those many years, we've lost some of the most valued contributors and only contributors at times. The site is quiet now and has been for a number of years, we all remember the loveable Hollowhorn and others but I think that Heaven's gain is our loss and it's a hard one. I'd like to think all those legends are meeting up in the big forum in the sky, exchanging stories, taking pics and having a good old time.

To Ross and those before him who were taken before their time - I salute you!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri May 13, 2022 10:35 pm

great contributor to the site and a really nice guy.

RIP Ross
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Sun May 15, 2022 11:40 am

Oh I am very sad to read this. Doorstop and I shared the same birthday, though I don't think the same year. RIP Doorstop.
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon May 16, 2022 8:58 am

not heard from you in ages ninatoo i do hope you are well.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue May 24, 2022 5:09 pm

Very sad to hear about this. I too miss the heady days of Doorstop on HG. Has ever a forum lost so many great members in such a short span of time? Ross is right up there with them in the pantheon of HG Legends & Friends. I salute him and remember him fondly.

RIP Doorstop
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sat May 28, 2022 6:53 am

Can I add my condolences, I was previously Wee Harry but the site IT kicked me out, I hope a few of the old regulars still knocking about tune in now and again!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:17 am

banjo wrote:not heard from you in ages ninatoo i do hope you are well.

Hi Banjo,
I haven't been terribly well, actually. Spent a couple of years getting over cancer and just when I thought I was doing well I had a stroke recently. Luckily I appear to be dodging that bullet as well.

I will try to pop in more often.

Thanks for remembering me!
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:48 am

You keep well Ninatoo the legend that is doorstop lives on.
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)