the old mine at cadder

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

the old mine at cadder

Postby tabs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:54 pm

anybody remember the old mine works (the bing) that used to be behind the school on tresta road and sort of between the railway and the graveyard. nothing has been built on the area where the buildings ect stood,just a couple of paths down to summerston.
tabs
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: the old mine at cadder

Postby BigAlMcM » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:15 am

I remember well the mine you describe. I was trying to find it’s name but can’t really seem to get past the Cadder No15 mining disaster , which I think was probably the other Cadder nearer Bishopbriggs. I lived for the first 21 years of my life at the top of Herma Street and as children we often played “down the lane” which was really a continuation of Cadder Road, and went down behind the primary school in Tresta Road. There were a couple of houses on the left down the lane the second of which was home to the Hallcrofts and we were friends with the two boys of about our age. Their back garden looked on to the mine and I can remember the miners finishing their shifts and walking from the pit to get their buses or to walk home. The mine was still active into the early sixties. We often went down along the wall of the cemetery and along to the bing , which was a great place for young boys to play.
If you know the name and any history of this pit, please let me know.
BigAlMcM
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: the old mine at cadder

Postby BigAlMcM » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:50 am

Been trawling the net all morning and managed to find the name of the coal mine we were talking about. It was the Gilsochill mine.
BigAlMcM
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)