Aggressive Begging in Glasgow City Centre. Getting worse?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Aggressive Begging in Glasgow City Centre. Getting worse

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Is there any way we could have a search engine attached to this notice board so that several well respected and long standing members might save themselves some embarrassment by posting something which has been discussed before.

We could add a piece of advice along the lines of You must behave and be nice AND SEARCH BEFORE POSTING!
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:43 pm

now there lies the problem. I have noticed over the last few months that the forum had got very quiet when it comes to new posts. Could it be we have covered almost every topic and are running out of things to say? You could say that it's quiet because some of the regulars are on holiday, but l doubt very much that's the reason. There are posts on here that should have disappeared to page 2,3 or 4 weeks ago but they are still here due to the lack of new post. If newcomers come on to the forum and ask questions or want to start a 'new post' as they see it then we should welcome it and join in and not discourage them by telling them we have already covered it and they should go and search for it. How many times have you had a conversation with a friend and repeated the conversation?, probably plenty of times. It may be only me but l would find a notice telling me to go and 'search' quite off-putting and discouraging.

Bobby
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:58 pm

robertpool wrote:now there lies the problem. I have noticed over the last few months that the forum had got very quiet when it comes to new posts. Could it be we have covered almost every topic and are running out of things to say? You could say that it's quiet because some of the regulars are on holiday, but l doubt very much that's the reason. There are posts on here that should have disappeared to page 2,3 or 4 weeks ago but they are still here due to the lack of new post. If newcomers come on to the forum and ask questions or want to start a 'new post' as they see it then we should welcome it and join in and not discourage them by telling them we have already covered it and they should go and search for it. How many times have you had a conversation with a friend and repeated the conversation?, probably plenty of times. It may be only me but l would find a notice telling me to go and 'search' quite off-putting and discouraging.

Bobby

Another thing on here for new members is they may if they're lucky have someone say welcome to then when they introduce themselves,, but most times not, it can give the feeling of who cares, I'm on a locksmiths forum & new members get at least a dozen hello's & made to feel welcome, why don't we try that on here as we may be discouraging some gems ?
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:06 pm

There was a post elsewhere on Hidden Glasgow on Jamsie Barr - if I recall correctly one of his sisters seen the post and responded to it - it was maybe around 2006/7 and Jamsie was said to be alive and well living with relatives in Knightswood.

It should be available if you use the search function on the forum
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:09 pm

If only the World was so black and white - new posts/old posts/repeated posts.

I don't there are many who go in 'search' for a variety of reasons, sometimes the search function is not as efficient and sometimes we just begin to respond without thinking about it. If it comes to the bit that we can't respond for fear of repeating then some of us will simply give up.

I'm a member of 5 'Glasgow' based forums but only now post on this site. I stopped posting on the other sites for a variety of reasons, one was an over-zealous 'owner' who virtually censored all chat to suit their own purpose. The other site, because it became obvious only a select few who could post photos were really welcomed.

I wouldn't consider myself to be a 'touchy' person in that I'm not easily offended or put off by individuals but I do know of others who've simply 'walked away' because they feel unwelcome and as some have suggested, 'there could be a real gem' out there waiting to become involved.

As to new topics, there are plenty but would they really be of interest to some?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby puddlesplasher » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:13 pm

yoker brian wrote: It should be available if you use the search function on the forum

I was merely adding to the topic being discussed and not starting a new topic.

As it has offended you to the extent that you felt the need to make the above comment then I suggest IMHO that you need to take a chil pill, stop, re-read a post and understand what was said before making any further requests to remind people to use the search function.

The attitude of people like you cause people like me to sit back, read posts and never bother to make any replies.

Have some fun and ditch the holier than thou attitude. :evil: :twisted: :roll:
puddlesplasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby yoker brian » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:29 pm

puddlesplasher wrote:
yoker brian wrote: It should be available if you use the search function on the forum

I was merely adding to the topic being discussed and not starting a new topic.

As it has offended you to the extent that you felt the need to make the above comment then I suggest IMHO that you need to take a chil pill, stop, re-read a post and understand what was said before making any further requests to remind people to use the search function.

The attitude of people like you cause people like me to sit back, read posts and never bother to make any replies.

Have some fun and ditch the holier than thou attitude. :evil: :twisted: :roll:

Woahhh Hold your horses....I posted that trying to be helpful, I don't need to take a chill pill nor do I have a holier than thou attitude.

I couldn't post a link to the original topic discussing Jamsie Barr as I was using my mobile, big fingers and wee buttons not a good mix, hence my polite suggestion to use the search function.

If your offended then that wasn't my intention.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:09 pm

The link is provided in my post above. The polite one above.

James Barr was never an aggressive beggar and should not have been mentioned in this thread.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:58 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:The link is provided in my post above. The polite one above.

James Barr was never an aggressive beggar and should not have been mentioned in this thread.

Thanks Dexter
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby puddlesplasher » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:03 am

We all have opinions that have been clearly demonstrated throughout the topic.

It was my opinion that when I was a child that Jaimsie was indeed agressive. (someone mentioned above that he would hit people with his portable radio) Imagine how it felt to be around 10 year old, going swimming to Whiteinch baths when someone comes down the aisle of the bus begging and playing the mouthie in your face whilst playing a senseless tune.

I know what todays reaction would be judging from comments made throughout this topic.

Berate me all you want but Jaimsie was still aggresive regardless of his condition and most certainly that was aggressive behaviour when viewed through the eyes of a 10 year old.

It shows what a clear and concise image can be left behind when 40 years later I can still see it all so clearly.

Will you recall the citys beggars just as clearly in 40 years?
puddlesplasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:12 pm

And I presume you still believe in Santa Claus, look under your bed for monsters and have held onto every other opinion you believed as a child despite been shown evidence that you might have been wrong.

You can stop worrying as Jamesy died in 2008.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:54 pm

I belive in Santa, I look under my bed each night - just in case strange and unfriendly Forum posters are lurking there.... :D
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:04 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:I belive in Santa, I look under my bed each night - just in case strange and unfriendly Forum posters are lurking there.... :D

it's unusual for him to be up during the day :D
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby puddlesplasher » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:And I presume you still believe in Santa Claus, look under your bed for monsters and have held onto every other opinion you believed as a child despite been shown evidence that you might have been wrong.

You can stop worrying as Jamesy died in 2008.

Just because someone does not agree with your opinion does not make them wrong.

What is wrong though, is the way that you conduct yourself whilst trying to reinforce your thoughts and strengthen your opinion.

Sadly your attempt is pathetic. :roll: :roll: :roll:
puddlesplasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby HelenD » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:21 pm

All this talk of monsters under the bed...

I have fairies at the bottom of the garden. They sneak indoors at night with wee buckets of mould and fungal spores with which to sabotage the contents of the fruit bowl.

(Yes, I know the thread is about begging, but you were asking for it... ;) )
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)