Flagpoles at Anniesland X

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Flagpoles at Anniesland X

Postby jkwelsh » Mon May 21, 2012 8:37 pm

Well I never!

I know this is an old post, but Ive only just joined the forum and was looking for anything relating to Anniesland where I grew up. (I currently live and work in Nairobi, Kenya)

My claim to fame?

I actually put those flagpoles up around 35 years ago :) In fact I have a connection with the old shops that were under the flats. My gran (long gone now) ran the newsagents. My mum worked in the menswear shop next door (can't remember its name) and I demolished the Top Hat cafe that was next to that, and I spent a summer working in the shoe shop next to that!

The 'Old Bloke' (Hugh) owns the lot (including the buildings out back in Fowlers Lane) and I worked for him while at school when I was 14/15 as his Saturday help. That must of been around 1977ish.

I worked in the Flats above as well, and the reason the window has been out on that top flat for just about ever is (or at least was) to do with not paying rates on the flats when they are uninhabitable, i.e. not wind and watertight.

Hugh was a great bloke and I learned loads of DIY skills from him that serve me to this day. As far as I know he's still going strong :D
jkwelsh
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mrsam » Fri May 25, 2012 9:37 pm

amazing story
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Sun May 27, 2012 8:32 pm

I enjoyed this story too, and Hugh does sound like a great bloke :D
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi jkwelsh

funny that you should pick up on this one. I too have just joined HG and I also worked in anniesland X during the early 70's. i was the manager of a big electrical store under the multi storey flats and my understanding of the flags was that they were to do with a kilt hire shop underneath the flags were but you say a menswear business...that all makes sense, i think

Cheers and welcome HG........ doug
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby fiain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Doug, I've been trying to remember the name of that store under the flats, was it Jolly's (or something similar)? I got my first record player from there and I remember that there was a box of 45s singles on the counter where you could pick up recent, ex-chart records for 1/2 price. Ahhh, happy days.
fiain
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Doug » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:06 am

Well done fiain and good to speak to you. you are right about the shops name it was indeed "jollys" and it belonged to my family. when it first opened i managed it for a while before leaving the firm. The shop sold electrical items and also had a very busy record dept which was run by a lovely lass from temple called Margaret Hammil and it well used by the barr and stroud workers and of course folks from temple. It all seems such a long time ago doesnt it ? regards doug

PS in case it was me who sold you your record player i hope it gave good service :)
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby fiain » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi Doug, thanks for cofirming the name of the store, I was in there often so probably bumped into you at some time. And, yes and no- in some ways it seems a long time ago, in others it seems like just yesterday. Don't worry, the record player served me well, all the way from Slade to Sex Pistols and beyond.
fiain
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Doug » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:37 am

Hi Fiain and thanks for responding. Its funny isnt it when you think back to those days, it seems like a million years ago. Since joining this forum and another one i use a lot more than this one its been amazing. Although I have lived away from glasgow for over 30 years the forums have brought it all back to me. Every time i log on theres another topic that gets me going and once i get typing theres no stopping me :). Anyway i'm relieved that your record player gave decent service and i hope i did meet you. kind regards
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jkwelsh » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:50 pm

And I went to school with Margret's younger sister!

Small world indeed....
jkwelsh
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Doug » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:44 pm

jkwelsh wrote:And I went to school with Margret's younger sister!

Small world indeed....

Hi jk and welcome to HG. When you refer to Margaret's younger sister are you referring to the Margaret Hammil i mentioned in my post ? If it is Margaret become my sister in law when she married my young brother and although they had two kids together the marriage broke up. Although i certainly knew her sisters I cant remember them very well as it was such a long time ago but i do remember Margaret lost a sister ( a younger one i think, and could her name have been Brenda !! ) in a car accident

Regards doug
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jkwelsh » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:49 pm

It was indeed Brenda. The family lived almost opposite me in Glencoe St.

Ive not lived in Glasgow for over 30 years. Didn't know she had died :(
jkwelsh
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Doug » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 pm

jkwelsh wrote:It was indeed Brenda. The family lived almost opposite me in Glencoe St.

Ive not lived in Glasgow for over 30 years. Didn't know she had died :(

thanks for replying Jk. The next time i speak to my brother I will ask him which of margarets sisters died in a car accident because i think there was also a Jackie in the family. Once i find out i will post it
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doug » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:25 am

Hi JK I'm not sure if your still with the forum or not but just in case you are the Hammel sister who was killed in a car accident was Jackie not Brenda as i first thought
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Derelict?

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:10 pm

if you read the previous then it's in the process of being slowly done up by 1 guy. I can see the rear from my work and the tiles/ guttering Is in a bad way

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)