Flickr Uproar

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Flickr Uproar

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed May 22, 2013 10:54 pm

tobester wrote:
dazza wrote:I've moved to http://www.ipernity.com

Saw that mentioned on flickr FB page, how do you find it to use?

I looked at the ipernity page and did a few searches related to my interests ( :roll: ) . Results = 0
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Wed May 22, 2013 11:40 pm

They seem to have removed the fun element for me.

Im no photgrapher, but always enjoyed the comments on pics and the sarcasm in the funny groups. harder to find now. it wouldve been nice to have been consulted about it. After all i am paying to use it.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu May 23, 2013 10:27 am

Its growing on me as I get more familiar with the new layouts. Never going to love the heavy black though.

Letting it wear in a while longer...

Somethings I prefer, like the homepage http://www.flickr.com/ a mix of activity, comments and recent pics from friends.. pretty much the things i want to see from the off.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu May 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Well, the photostreams sort of work now, so they must've tweaked something. That infinite scrolling has got to go though; it's a serious functional issue. Imagine HG with no pagination at all, and most of the information missing unless you actually go into a thread. Thing is I've got the updated Android app, and I rather like it, but they seem to have decided that's what the actual site should look like too.

I could maybe get used to it, but it's a bit worrying: the overall impression, taking into account the comments by the Yahoo boss, is of a site that now is intended for casual phone snaps only, designed by people who aren't actually all that into photography. Somebody has already said that the new layout makes the US Library of Congress stream look like a besotted Justin Bieber fan's page on Tumblr.

Oh, and it looks like Windows 8, which in itself should be enough to make me delete all my photos in a big huff.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu May 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Oh, and having wiped all the cookies in an effort to help, I've now got a banner at the top of every photo page telling me my browser's ancient (I do know!). I'd dismiss it by clicking the x in the top corner, but I can't actually do that because of the big fucking information bar they put at the top of the screen.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby John » Thu May 23, 2013 7:53 pm

It is yet another example of the iPad-ification of web sites.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby BTJustice » Thu May 23, 2013 8:22 pm

Im still holding off uploading anything or posting links back to it.

I am disliking the layout and loss of information but I am hating the contempt that yahoo have shown to their paying customers.

The site only exists because of the imput of its users. Yahoo now wants to sell advertising space on something we all created in the hope we will buy the shit being forced into our screen.

Word of warning on switching yor pics to other sites. Double check in the small print that the picture and its rights continue to belong to you and cannot be used without your permission.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu May 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Not enjoying the first couple of days. Navigation being my main problem. I can see it working better on an ipad style as John says. Vinegar tom is right it has lost that community spirit. I printed photographs this week for the first time in years,
Might just go back to storing them in shoe boxs under the bed.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri May 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Explorer Chrome Comparison in Flickr by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

screenshot comparison using Internet Explorer 8 and Google Chrome. Clearly IE8 is not compatible with HTML5. The 'Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection' image was chosen as my new header but only Chrome lets me change it. IE8 shows it to be far too large for the header although it's the same image. In IE8 the profile photo text is asking me to 'Change Your Buddy Icon' and when you change your photo the text is still clearly visible over the photo (text is in white and so annoying) it's not visible on Chrome. The text 'Edit cover photo' also remains in place on IE8 but not on Chrome. If you intend to stay with Flickr it's clear you will need Google Chrome as an secondary browser if you prefer IE8 as your primary browser as l do. All l can say is that the previous layout was far better but clearly Flickr is going down the advert based Facebook HTML5 path and that will never be changed back so expect the older browsers not to handle this newer technology.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Fri May 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Robert your collection is so interesting you should consider a dedicated web site rather than using flickr.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby John » Fri May 24, 2013 5:06 pm

robertpoolcollection.com is available for $15. Bargain.
John
-
-

Postby robertpool » Fri May 24, 2013 5:43 pm

John wrote:robertpoolcollection.com is available for $15. Bargain.

something l have thought about many times but l like being part of a community
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Fri May 24, 2013 5:56 pm

The website idea is going through my head. I would be happy with a site laid out in folders like the old flickr and the ability to post the pics on forums. I dont need a thousand people looking at my pics a day, 10 interested folk will do me and as most of the links back to my flickr come from posting pics on forums the people that are seeing them now will still find them.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Fri May 24, 2013 7:04 pm

I just cancelled my pro account.
John
-
-

Postby robertpool » Fri May 24, 2013 7:06 pm

it's what they are counting on ... roll on the ads
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)