Cuthelton Gardens - where was it?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Cuthelton Gardens - where was it?

Postby War Baby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Someone is looking for Cuthelton Gardens and can't find it. Libraries have never heard of it and it doesn't appear on old maps. She has a certificate that says her father was born at "Cuthelton Gardens, Maukinfauld Rd, Tollcross, Glasgow in 1907. ... I lived in Maukinfauld Rd for six years myself in the 1990's and I know that there is a Cuthelton Street, Drive and Terrace in that area, so where was Cuthelton Gardens?

Was it the name of a tenement, or a row of houses, or what?
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Cuthelton Gardens - where was it?

Postby brickwall » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Somewhere around Toll Cross, my dad says.

Google says there is a Cuthelton Terrace away up PArkhead.
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 pm

This thread may be of use:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,618914.0.html

Although I suspect you could have been the originator of that thread!

The explanation of a grassy patch behind the tenements makes me think it was one of those wee places that didn't exist on maps because it wasn't important enough to be listed, but the local postie would have known about it.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby War Baby » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:34 am

SomeRandomBint,
I wasn't the originator of the thread, but I lived in the area where Cuthelton Gardens is supposed to have been, so I got interested in it. I feel sure it was in the Maukinfauld Rd area, where I lived for six years, which is just to the south of Tollcross Road. ... This Cuthelton Gardens place really does qualify for the status of "Hidden Glasgow". It is hidden so well that it doesn't appear on any map, old or recent.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:44 pm

It could have been a garden area that sat between Cuthelton Street and Cuthelton Terrace much in the same way Wilton Gardens is not an address it's simply a garden area in the middle of Wilton Street
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:24 pm

I'd almost put money on it having been a name for the wee staggered houses along Maukinfauld Road, seeing as they do have gardens - unusually for the time, surely, for what looks like fairly modest accommodation for workers. (Reminiscent of miners' raws, judging by ye olde Street View and assuming they are the same buildings.)

This map here was revised up to about 1910, and suggests that around the birth date you're after, there wasn't really anything else on that road, apart from the tenements at the top and the old Maukinfauld farm itself to the south: >Clicky<

It is conjecture of course, but it could be about right?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)