Buses Today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Buses Today

Postby RDR » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:39 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
RDR wrote:Reliability is a big factor as well.
No point of me using public transport if it simply doesn't turn up or is delayed and I've a number of calls to make.
A bigger problem with the trains I think, though.

Reliability

Scotrail

Thanks, that's interesting.

Depending on which set of figures you take and puncuality can be as bad as simply not turning up if you have an onward connection, and given the number of services Scotrail runs, then an average 9% of their services that don't run to time in Strathclyde is an awful lot.

Did you read the exclusions from the stats as well? 8O Sounds like they can also not put a number of issues into the overall stats if they use the exclusions reasons.

A quick check on the 'Worst' Glasgow site, though doesn't suggest they publish comparable stats, unless there is some bus industry standard that I'm not aware of.

As an aside I think the airline industry is even worse but it never gets the focus on lateness that trains and buses do.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:42 am

Fat Cat wrote:
No point of me using public transport if it simply doesn't turn up or is delayed and I've a number of calls to make.

Try using First Bus No 8 Carmyle to Partick. Worst bus service in Glasgow, bar none. If it does turn up (one every half hour) it's usually late. Terrible service. And it doesn't run a full service on a Sunday or in the evenings.

The 201 out here is every bit as bad, after 18:00. It links Monklands Hospital with Hairmyers Hospital and is therefore used by a lot of people for visiting relatives in hospital and is frequently late or cancelled.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scott125 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:22 pm

RDR wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:

Try using First Bus No 8 Carmyle to Partick. Worst bus service in Glasgow, bar none. If it does turn up (one every half hour) it's usually late. Terrible service. And it doesn't run a full service on a Sunday or in the evenings.

The 201 out here is every bit as bad, after 18:00. It links Monklands Hospital with Hairmyers Hospital and is therefore used by a lot of people for visiting relatives in hospital and is frequently late or cancelled.

I agree i used to commute on the 201 and it dies a death after 6pm . I see there is deckers on it now at times but was often overcrowded .
scott125
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:33 pm

http://betterbuses.org/

Everyone can join the campaign for a better bus system in Glasgow
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby busdriver » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Yet another sad but avoidable incident this morning on Argyle Street/Queen Street junction. In the "trade" there is a reason why this is called suicide corner, people simply do not have the patience to stop and wait for the green man it only takes 30 seconds yet folks still rush across. Hopefully this one will not turn out to be a tragedy.

Stv News
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:49 pm

I'v got a picture of the very same corner a few years back with a guy stuck under the wheels of a bus
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:21 pm

busdriver wrote:Yet another sad but avoidable incident this morning on Argyle Street/Queen Street junction. In the "trade" there is a reason why this is called suicide corner, people simply do not have the patience to stop and wait for the green man it only takes 30 seconds yet folks still rush across. Hopefully this one will not turn out to be a tragedy.

http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/108840-majo ... wn-by-bus/[/url]

Aye. Ye'd think bus driver sould think twice about turning as they say in the trade. Driving a large chunk of metal on wheels gives one a certain amount of responsibility for assessing the risk element.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:12 pm

Fossil wrote:I'v got a picture of the very same corner a few years back with a guy stuck under the wheels of a bus

I thnk ive seen a youtube video of something like that as well Fossil, i'll try and locate it ...it might be on HG somewhere if memory serves me right.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Not a good day for bus drivers and their companies.

Defects found on buses taking pupils to Blair Drummond Safari Park
Nine buses being used to take school pupils to a safari park were taken off the road after police found serious mechanical defects on the vehicles.

Fifteen drivers were also found to be working in excess of their hours or unable to prove the hours they had worked, and were not allowed to drive until they had had a sufficient rest period
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Fifteen drivers were also found to be working in excess of their hours or unable to prove the hours they had worked, and were not allowed to drive until they had had a sufficient rest period

What's the score with that, anyway? I'm fully in agreement with the maximum periods and all that, but the practical impact appears to be that they kick all the passengers off the bus at the deadline, and then carry on driving the bus to the depot anyway.

A bit like those Number 9s that terminate at 'Paisley West End' but then carry on to Linwood Depot in any case.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:18 pm

busdriver wrote:Yet another sad but avoidable incident this morning on Argyle Street/Queen Street junction. In the "trade" there is a reason why this is called suicide corner, people simply do not have the patience to stop and wait for the green man it only takes 30 seconds yet folks still rush across. Hopefully this one will not turn out to be a tragedy.

I was in town this morning and I'd wondered what had happened - the area was taped off and the place was swarming with police and photos were being taken of the bus etc. At first I thought it had been a crash but there was only the bus and it looked fine. Then I saw on the BBC website that a pedestrian had been injured - said he had "head injuries" but that his condition was not known.

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Aye. Ye'd think bus driver sould think twice about turning as they say in the trade. Driving a large chunk of metal on wheels gives one a certain amount of responsibility for assessing the risk element.

I would have thought that deciding to cross the road at a busy junction in the city centre when the lights are at green puts a certain amount of responsibility on pedestrians to assess the risk element :?
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Nope.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pingu » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:34 am

if you get knocked down on the road(the place where big metal things are travelling at speed) its your own fault.

if you get knocked down on the pavement(where people should be unless crossing "when safe to do so") its the bus drivers fault :wink:
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm constantly astonished, even though I know I no longer should be, at the number of passengers, many a wee bit unsteady on their feet through age or infirmity, who insist on standing up and making for the door on a 9 or a 62 hurtling up St Vincent St towards the lights at Pitt St and cling on as if their lives depend upon it whilst the bus negotiates the corners into Pitt St and the into West George St.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:34 pm

pingu wrote:if you get knocked down on the road(the place where big metal things are travelling at speed) its your own fault.

if you get knocked down on the pavement(where people should be unless crossing "when safe to do so") its the bus drivers fault :wink:

I've never read the Highway Code (having never even remotely considered becoming a driver), but I'm sure a colleague at work once told me that according to it the minute someone sets foot on a road they have right of way.

Not that I'm advocating wandering across roads with your eyes shut, but if that's true then it implies that the onus is on the driver to take care in areas of human density (possibly in all senses of the word, but hey).
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)