Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Postby yoker brian » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:28 pm

banjo wrote:love to view the city from the flagpole in queens park.hate walking through yoker as it is dog shit central.

Oi! ;-)
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Love Maxwell Park,Fotheringay Road and over into Pollokshaws Conservation Area

Hate St Enoch Square,waste of a great space.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:41 am

floweredpig wrote:Love Maxwell Park,Fotheringay Road and over into Pollokshaws Conservation Area

With you on that regarding St. Enochs.

I love the top end of High street.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:28 am

Favourites:

Ashton Lane - what is there not to like, even if it is has become a bit tourist trappy in recent years.
Kelvin Way - if ever there is a candidate for Glasgow's most romantic street, it is Kelvin Way right after it has snowed.
Strathclyde University - where I spent 12 happy years as a student, then a member of staff.
Buchanan Street - the Victorian city at its best!

and...
Summit of Cathkin Brae (OK not actually IN the city) - the vista of the whole city is breathtaking

Hated:

Govan Graving Docks - you have the shiny SECC, the Science Centre then right adjacent is this hovel. In dire need of regeneration.
The Barras - for all the history, it is an eyesore and an absolute tip of a place. Keep the ballroom, flatten the rest!
Saltmarket - they just haven't managed to pick what should be a centrepiece street out of the doldrums
Anderston - if ever there was an advertisement for town planners on how not to regenerate an area - this is it. A little bit of Eastern Europe smack in the middle of a Western city. Mercifully the 1960s schemes are getting levelled soon.
of course....
All the "schemes": Castlemilk/Easterhouse/Possil/Milton/Pollok etc etc - they are an easy target admittedly.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:01 pm

floweredpig wrote:

More greenery - in fact some effin greenery and landscaping - forget the neds vandalising it - in fact Venus flytrap's planted in between would be ok.

St Enoch's square was quite stately and elegant at one time.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:41 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:Favourites:

All the "schemes": Castlemilk/Easterhouse/Possil/Milton/Pollok etc etc - they are an easy target admittedly.

Been round them all have you. Every street nook and cranny? prefer a single end with an ootside lavvy, bomb shelter in the back court , a range for a cooker and a bunker in the hall?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

Been round them all have you. Every street nook and cranny? prefer a single end with an ootside lavvy, bomb shelter in the back court , a range for a cooker and a bunker in the hall?

I found this forum interesting and enjoyable when I first joined, however I very rarely venture on here anymore as the forum has long since lost any appeal it once had. There are a number of reasons why I feel this way, however the above is an example of one of the main ones... ladies and gentlemen of HG, I give you Dexter 'King Tosser' St. Clair and his constant, and needless, sniping at other members posts and the views expressed in them.

OK, I'll grant you that the above isn't the most extreme example I could have given to demonstrate Dexter's tosser past - it was an easy example though, as it just happened to be the very first post I read following my first login in quite a while.

I used to think that Dexter was probably one of these sad little men who, for the sake of his own amusement, likes to have a go at other people and cause arguments from the safety of his keyboard. Over time, however, I came to realise that there's probably a much simpler explanation than that - he's just a tosser. Not the plain simple garden variety of tosser either - most definitely a King Tosser!

What's wrong with challenging people's views in a reasoned way when having a 'proper discussion'? The majority of the members of this forum seem capable of engaging with their fellow members in a reasonable manner but not our Dexter. I'm certain I'm not the only visitor to this forum who holds this (or a similar) view of Dexter, however in my opinion the Mods and other regular contributors seem to give him their tacit approval by adopting an attitude that can be summarised as...

Ach, it's just Dexter - that's just the way he is so everyone else will just have to learn to put up with him

In my view, that attitude is every bit as much to blame for the loss of this forum's appeal as the behaviour of Dexter. Surely to keep a forum from going stale you have to attract (and keep) new active members on a regular basis? I think this forum probably fails quite miserably on that score judging by the proportion of newbies that seem to have fallen by the wayside during the time since I first joined.

By the way, I don't particularly like the schemes either and yes, I have been around them all - maybe not every street, nook and cranny but that's not really necessary in order to develop an opinion of an area is it (no question mark tosser, I'm not looking for an answer). They might (I wouldn't know) be better than a single end and its 'features' but that isn't necessarily something to be lauded is it?
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:43 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:They might (I wouldn't know) be better than a single end and its 'features' but that isn't necessarily something to be lauded is it?

Your ignorance is not necessarily lauded but your musings warrant a response.

I've lifted this from the so aptly named Glesga Pals which is also full of optimists with rose tinted spectacles. Mind you in between the Molly Weir musings there are some real memories which might suggest you seriously don't know what you're talking about.

But carry on putting down people who did not have a uniformed job in the public services that also came with a decent flat. It won't pass without comment.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:58 pm

Ashton Lane - what is there not to like, even if it is has become a bit tourist trappy in recent years.
Kelvin Way - if ever there is a candidate for Glasgow's most romantic street, it is Kelvin Way right after it has snowed.
Strathclyde University - where I spent 12 happy years as a student, then a member of staff.
Buchanan Street - the Victorian city at its best!

and...
Summit of Cathkin Brae (OK not actually IN the city) - the vista of the whole city is breathtaking

Hated:

Govan Graving Docks - you have the shiny SECC, the Science Centre then right adjacent is this hovel. In dire need of regeneration.
The Barras - for all the history, it is an eyesore and an absolute tip of a place. Keep the ballroom, flatten the rest!
Saltmarket - they just haven't managed to pick what should be a centrepiece street out of the doldrums
Anderston - if ever there was an advertisement for town planners on how not to regenerate an area - this is it. A little bit of Eastern Europe smack in the middle of a Western city. Mercifully the 1960s schemes are getting levelled soon.
of course....

Reverse all of the above :D :D
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:36 am

I don't want to get involved in a slanging match - (the Evening Times discussion boards were ruined by trolls and bucketmouthers a few years ago to the point where they were closed down cos the moderators got sick policing them) - all I will say I meant nobody any offence by my comment above. Just an observation, that's all.

Given that I come from Shettleston (hardly the Beverly Hills of West Scotland, either) - I think I am allowed to take a pot shot at some of the less saubrious areas of my home town anyway.

There is an unwritten rule somewhere that only Glaswegians are allowed to insult Glasgow. :P ::):
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

We've had this debate before and there isn't a black and white answer as far I'm concerned.
As you know I was born and brought up in the Gorbals, lived in the Hutchie 'E' blocks, Govanhill and Castlemilk, in my time.
If and it's a big if they had refurbished some of the best tenements in the Gorbals then they would have homes better in some respects than the post war schemes but they didn't.
The Hutchie 'E' blocks were damp from the onset and incapable of being heated properly.
Castlemilk had no shops and originally remote in terms of transport, but the flats were large with good facilities.
Just my view from experience.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:32 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:I don't want to get involved in a slanging match - (the Evening Times discussion boards were ruined by trolls and bucketmouthers a few years ago to the point where they were closed down cos the moderators got sick policing them) - all I will say I meant nobody any offence by my comment above. Just an observation, that's all.

Given that I come from Shettleston (hardly the Beverly Hills of West Scotland, either) - I think I am allowed to take a pot shot at some of the less saubrious areas of my home town anyway.

There is an unwritten rule somewhere that only Glaswegians are allowed to insult Glasgow. :P ::):

There was no offence in your post RP :D
I'm ok with anyone slagging off Glasgow having lived in the deep South of England for twenty years and I'm still getting the cliched comments in the far reaches of N Ireland.
However I have to say the negative comments are slowly dying out.

Where's Shettleston? :wink:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby avitacum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:40 pm

In my head....my fantasy recreation of the village of Partick,,,in the 1820's
avitacum
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:05 pm

avitacum wrote:In my head....my fantasy recreation of the village of Partick,,,in the 1820's

Complete with 1820's poverty and disease?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:42 pm

I'm disturbed by the suggestion that the Govan graving docks are anything other than fab. Historic and abandoned and photogenic and made of granite - what's not to like?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)