Hi Bridie; welcome to HG :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:55 am

Biddy429 wrote:Hello everybody!

I live in the Kirkintilloch area of Glasgow (which is about to celebrate 800 years of being a Barony Burgh this year) however have only lived here for 22yrs and am considered an "outsider" to the locals and those who were born and brought up here.
Thanks

Bridie :D

You'll be drummed out of the bowling club if any of them spot that.

Welcome to HG
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:22 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Biddy429 wrote:Hello everybody!

I live in the Kirkintilloch area of Glasgow (which is about to celebrate 800 years of being a Barony Burgh this year) however have only lived here for 22yrs and am considered an "outsider" to the locals and those who were born and brought up here.
Thanks

Bridie :D

You'll be drummed out of the bowling club if any of them spot that.

Welcome to HG

Aye, as someone brought up there myself, I was thinking the same thing!!

Welcome Bridie - post often.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BairnyBoy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Hullo folks!

My name's Bairny and I'm an East Kilbrodian *ducks as waves of rotten fruit and veg are thrown* aye, aye okay everybody hates that demonym. I supppose we're just weegies like everybody else :).

I've only been reading the forums for the past few weeks now and I'm not entirely up to date but I've decided to join and become an active member so I can take part in the discussion and perhaps learn a little something. I've seen a few topics that I'd love to post in and I'll do my best not to resurrect dead discussions but sometimes I get a bit twitchy. If I'm doing your head in at all, please just say to me and I'll cut it out.

I'm 23 years old and I've lived here all my life. I've spent plenty of time going back and forwards between EK and Glasgow and know the city centre fairly well. I've always been in love with the Glasgow and now I'd like to spend a little more time there, getting to know it better and learning to really appreciate it. During my short stint on the Earth I've spent most of my time working in customer service. I worked for a supermarket, a travel company, as a receptionist for an environmental survey company and now I'm the night porter at a Premier Inn. Good fun, as you can see, I spend most of my night browsing whatever websites are pleasant enough to sneak past the computer's filter!

I love to read, I write often (although for no purpose other than to please myself) and I love music. I play the guitar and a bit of piano but I'm not too great, as much as I love playing, it's really just a wee hobby for me at the moment! I gave up trying to make it big with bands and all that when I was about 18 and reality smacked me in the face. I'm particularly interested in getting to know Glasgow's hidden music and theatre scene so if anybody is bursting with information on that front, I'd love to hear some of it because I'm particluarly clueless!

So aye, that's me. And this is a pointlessly long introduction, so I apologise for that!

But really, I'm dying to get to know everyone :D
"He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger." - Confucius
BairnyBoy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:38 pm

East Kilbrodian?

You're making that up. But hello in any case.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BairnyBoy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:42 pm

Honestly, it's a real thing...

Well it's not really. It's just a wee pishy term used by some of the folk around here. Funnily enough it's my girlfriend's family who brought it to my attention and they're from Wishaw.
"He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger." - Confucius
BairnyBoy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby banjo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:09 pm

wishy surely.ach anyhoo,welcome to hg bairny boy.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tendedburrito » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi

Im new here, found it through google.

Grew up in Glasgow, moved away to Spain 10 years ago, now returning very soon to live there again with my husband and daughter.

Thats the basics then, dont wanna ramble on and on and on yet .....
tendedburrito
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby G1000 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:29 am

Howdy,

Thought I should say hello, been lurking around on here for a while and decided I should post something.

I stay in Glasgow and have done all my life, which isn't really a great deal of time. But i'll try and contribute in a useful sort of way.

Great website by the way, a lot of very interesting and cool stuff on here.

G
G1000
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 am

Josef wrote:East Kilbrodian?

You're making that up. But hello in any case.

I've been called all sorts in my life but never "East Kilbrodian" :-) Someone taking the mickey perhaps!

Welcome from me as well, Bairny Boy!
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:38 am

tendedburrito wrote:Hi

Im new here, found it through google.

Grew up in Glasgow, moved away to Spain 10 years ago, now returning very soon to live there again with my husband and daughter.

Thats the basics then, dont wanna ramble on and on and on yet .....

Welcome! Ramble away :-)
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:39 am

G1000 wrote:Howdy,

Thought I should say hello, been lurking around on here for a while and decided I should post something.

I stay in Glasgow and have done all my life, which isn't really a great deal of time. But i'll try and contribute in a useful sort of way.

G

Welcome, and don't feel you have to be useful :-)
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby G1000 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:50 pm

jodieohdoh wrote:
G1000 wrote:Howdy,

G

Welcome, and don't feel you have to be useful :-)

Ta much. Pressure is off now I guess.
G1000
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby panthro » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Yolt! Panthro (ah'ma a wean of the 80s) here. I'm not a Glaswegian but a Lanarkshirean (BairnyBoy is that the correct, sorry, made-up descriptor? ::):) but live 6-ish miles from City boundary, went to uni and work in Glasgow. Long time lurker of these forums and interested in history, architecture and culture. Of course, don't do anything like that in my job - I'm a nurse. Mind you, work in The Royal* so have plenty of architecture to look at and of course get plenty of the culture; from the patients (and some staff!) of course. I will never be a Glaswegian especially when I keep using my Lanarkshire phrases that cause some confusion/amusement/mockery. "Stoap skiddlin!"

Anyhoo, hello!

*And yes, I have been in the secret tunnels. I saw lots of cobbled streets, shop fronts and drank from the Molendinar!

Bonjour!
panthro
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:39 pm

panthro wrote:
*And yes, I have been in the secret tunnels. I saw lots of cobbled streets, shop fronts and drank from the Molendinar!

Bonjour!

Which possibly explains your hallucinations.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)