Yorkhill Drill Hall

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Yorkhill Drill Hall

Postby duck » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks for all your help.I'm intrigued as to what happened inside the buiding! On my grandmother's Poor Law Application it states, 12.8.14, that my Uncle "had joined the Territorials". I know that he arrived in Gallipoli on the 2nd of July 1915. Does that mean that when he joined up this drill hall became his home between the two dates? Did he sleep there? I'm not sure if it was a barracks proper.Also interesting to note that it states "26.11.13 Boy William has been sent to prison for 7 days for being drunk" (wonder where I could find a record of that!) He was 16 then; three years later, in November 1917, he died from wounds in Gaza.
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BillM » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:24 am

Vinegar Tom wrote:
Delmont St Xavier wrote:The building at the corner of Newton Street - opposite Radnor Street is indeed a religious temple but it's former use was as a Masonic Temple for Lodge St Vincent Sandyford until they sold the premises and the temple removed all outward signs of freemasonry.

They missed a couple of bits round the back:

That's another building altogether, about quarter of a mile away at the other end of Haugh Road. The HLI on is down right at the bottom of Yorkhill St and is now flatted. The one your photos are of is the former masonic hall now converted to an Ahmadiyya mosque, just behind the pub appropriately named "The Goat."
BillM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:42 pm

I managed to get a return visit to the HLI building basement / ground floor rifle range and get a couple of snaps.

You can see remnants of a crude camouflage type paint – scheme on the walls.

The brick columns are a later addition during the conversion of the building to flats - presumably to support the weight of the car park above.

Looking from East to West – you can see the position of what I am unreliably informed is a pit used to simulate firing from a trench,

6th Btn HLI Rifle Range by vinegartom40, on Flickr

The pit itself

6th Btn HLI Rifle Range Trench by vinegartom40, on Flickr

Looking from West to East

6th Btn HLI Rifle Range by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:59 am

I remember going there with the ATC in the late 1960's for rifle practice.

Firing a 303 without ear protectors (no H&S then) in that enclosed space was loud to say the least. We used a sand-bag wall to lean on - I didn't know about the trench.
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RCM » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:46 pm

I bought a flat in this building today. They've done a good job with the conversion and I like the old and new of the place. Will give you all a bit more of a lowdown on the place once i've had a chance to have a really good root around! Will get the books out of the library and get the info on the build too.
RCM
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:38 pm

RCM wrote:I bought a flat in this building today. They've done a good job with the conversion and I like the old and new of the place. Will give you all a bit more of a lowdown on the place once i've had a chance to have a really good root around! Will get the books out of the library and get the info on the build too.

Cool! Well welcome to HG and don't be shy about posting pictures! I don't mean that in a creepy way ... !
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)