Buses Today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Buses Today

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:58 pm

Josef wrote:They could stick a couple of wheels on the top deck, tack it on at the back and put it on the no. 9 route.

Talking of which, there's a driver on that route who, when I ask for a £1.75 ticket, always gives me a £1.45 one. It could maybe be that he mishears me (every time), but no other driver has ever done this, and he looks at the money I've put in the chute before he issues the ticket. Are they on a cut of the excess money at the end of the day, or something?

So, when you see that driver, why not stick £1.50 in the slot and check his reaction? If he claims that's not enough - add 25 pence and then check your ticket.

In any case, report him to First.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:13 am

Ta, BD. It's not that I'm being charged the wrong fare per se, since I put the £1.75 in the chute anyway and I still get from A to B regardless -I just get a ticket with the wrong fare on it. I just find it a bit curious, and I have a residual fear of one of those rare beasts, a ticket Inspector, checking the ticket on the latter stage of the route.

Most of the drivers on that route are a pleasure. If you work for first, say hello to the beardy bloke that transferred to the Dumbarton area a few months back.

Egg man - never thought of that one.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:38 pm

Green Bus Fund

Item 6.doc Report Public
(76 KB)
Item 6 App.doc Appendix Public
(133 KB)
SCOTTISH GREEN BUS FUND

Purpose of Report:
To advise Committee of the Scottish Green Bus Fund.
Recommendations:
That Committee considers the report and identifies any issues which it may wish to
discuss further.

Background

At the meeting of Committee on 9 June 2010, Committee instructed the Executive Director of
LES to investigate the 'Bus Scrappage Scheme’ and report back.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Buses Today - number 9 service changes

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:26 pm

I've just a conversation with a lovely lady from First Bus who was trying to justify changes to the number 9 route between Kelvingrove and Renfield Street from Sunday 12thSept 2010.

Instead of Argyle Street/ St Vincent St/ Blythswood Sq/ Renfield Street the route will be Sauchiehall Street/ Renfrew Street/ Renfield Street in order to serve the 'top end of the town'. Don't lots of buses passing Kelvingrove do this already or at least via West Regent Street?

There's also to be part routes to and from Charing Cross with a drivers rest on Berkeley Street at the Gaelic School.

If you use this service - be aware.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:19 pm

The 16 and 18/18A go past the Kelvingrove and then along Sauchiehall Street. They don't go along Renfrew Street though. Trying to make sense of their map is a nightmare >>
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:24 pm

I believe the 747 does Renfrew Street whilst the 42 and 23 as well as the ones you mention above use West Regent Street.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby busdriver » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:47 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:The 16 and 18/18A go past the Kelvingrove and then along Sauchiehall Street. They don't go along Renfrew Street though. Trying to make sense of their map is a nightmare >>

That map badly needs updating, the 18/18A runs only between Buchanan Bus Station and Lindsayfield E.K. and has done since October 2009. These are set to change again in September 2010. Best to check the Website:

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/scotland/swscot/home/
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby + 1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:06 pm

God I hate buses, Glad I have moved to a place where I never really need to use one!
+ 1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby TA_Ealing » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:25 am

le_tigre_boy wrote:God I hate buses, Glad I have moved to a place where I never really need to use one!

Amen.
TA_Ealing
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby + 1 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:33 pm

TA_Ealing wrote:
le_tigre_boy wrote:God I hate buses, Glad I have moved to a place where I never really need to use one!

Amen.

Praise the walking god!
+ 1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Are First Bus drivers being told to drive as slow as they can possibly get away with. I know they have a timetable to keep to, but why did it take 40 minutes to go a mile and a half on a clear road this morning. Could it be something to do with the driver sitting at each bus stop for a good 2-3 minutes each time and then sitting at a set of traffic lights while they changed to green 3 times, with no traffic holding anything up. The number of buses on the road has been cut, yet again. Pissing me off. :evil:
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:57 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Are First Bus drivers being told to drive as slow as they can possibly get away with. I know they have a timetable to keep to, but why did it take 40 minutes to go a mile and a half on a clear road this morning. Could it be something to do with the driver sitting at each bus stop for a good 2-3 minutes each time and then sitting at a set of traffic lights while they changed to green 3 times, with no traffic holding anything up. The number of buses on the road has been cut, yet again. Pissing me off. :evil:

It could be to do with something that (I think) was said earlier on this thread, namely that being ahead of schedule is a disciplinary offence.

Not that it isn't really annoying when it happens to you, mind. Particularly when the previous bus didn't appear and you've been waiting half an hour.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:02 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Are First Bus drivers being told to drive as slow as they can possibly get away with. I know they have a timetable to keep to, but why did it take 40 minutes to go a mile and a half on a clear road this morning. Could it be something to do with the driver sitting at each bus stop for a good 2-3 minutes each time and then sitting at a set of traffic lights while they changed to green 3 times, with no traffic holding anything up. The number of buses on the road has been cut, yet again. Pissing me off. :evil:

What route was this ?
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:07 pm

I would have asked the driver. I think most of them are human.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Buses Today - number 9 service changes

Postby Rucola » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:00 am

The Egg Man wrote:
Instead of Argyle Street/ St Vincent St/ Blythswood Sq/ Renfield Street the route will be Sauchiehall Street/ Renfrew Street/ Renfield Street in order to serve the 'top end of the town'. Don't lots of buses passing Kelvingrove do this already or at least via West Regent Street?

How is a bus going to get onto Renfrew St from Sauchiehall St? I don't see buses making it up the hill at the Art School. Or will there be a bus lane through the pedestrian precinct? That'll be popular with shoppers.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)