In the bin Please

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: In the bin Please

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:39 am

Rucola wrote:The council wastes thousands of pounds sending workies out to smear black paint and misleading 'Cancelled' stickers over flyposters, but they are having a 'Clean Glasgow' Award? :roll:

It's funded by the income of bill posters who pay taxes and rent space on official sites. If you think having a standard CANCELLED across every fly poster is misleading could I interest you in a share in some funds I have difficulty in removing from Nigeria.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:23 pm

My neighbour did a wee experiment. Every week of the year our lazy as fuck bin men will not , under any circumstances lift a bin that has even slightly to much in it. If you leave anything beside the bin then it gets lifted out of the way so as the lazy fuckers get to the bin, if they can be botherd that is. So last week my neighbour leaves a 1/2 a box of booze at the side of the bin and yes would you believe it he watched the fat prick pick it up put it in the cab and drive away then had to wobble back after nearly forgetting to empty the bin. Neighbour took great pleasure this week in having a wee chat with fatso. Wan up fur the coouncil tax payer .
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:06 pm

hazy wrote:My neighbour did a wee experiment. Every week of the year our lazy as fuck bin men will not , under any circumstances lift a bin that has even slightly to much in it. If you leave anything beside the bin then it gets lifted out of the way so as the lazy fuckers get to the bin, if they can be botherd that is. So last week my neighbour leaves a 1/2 a box of booze at the side of the bin and yes would you believe it he watched the fat prick pick it up put it in the cab and drive away then had to wobble back after nearly forgetting to empty the bin. Neighbour took great pleasure this week in having a wee chat with fatso. Wan up fur the coouncil tax payer .

Actually, my regular (i.e. non-recycling) bin men are great.

Maybe it's a local thing. Or all your binmen are mates of HH. ::):
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:41 pm

As I've said before, the binmen here in glorious G20 are great - the problems lie with my messy neighbours. The recently introduced service that allows you to phone in to have larger items removed works well here too. 'Mon the binmen!
I didn't know that the Corpie was responsible for the cancelled stickers that have been appearing - are you sure? I thought it was the work of Art School students on the environmental arts course - you know, the ones who can't actually draw, paint, sketch or sculpt or get record deals.
David Shrigley, who used to work for me when he was a student, put cancelled stickers all over the place for his degree show piece and that was late 80s early 90s. If I remember correctly, he also put fake pub-signs up on the derelict gents toilet at Kelvingrove Park.
Students,eh?

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby davadvice » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:24 pm

dimairt wrote:As I've said before, the binmen here in glorious G20 are great - the problems lie with my messy neighbours. The recently introduced service that allows you to phone in to have larger items removed works well here too. 'Mon the binmen!
I didn't know that the Corpie was responsible for the cancelled stickers that have been appearing - are you sure? I thought it was the work of Art School students on the environmental arts course - you know, the ones who can't actually draw, paint, sketch or sculpt or get record deals.
David Shrigley, who used to work for me when he was a student, put cancelled stickers all over the place for his degree show piece and that was late 80s early 90s. If I remember correctly, he also put fake pub-signs up on the derelict gents toilet at Kelvingrove Park.
Students,eh?

Le durachd,

Eddy

I agree, I do bung them beer every year,

Last week they changed the time they pickup and i put my bin out in the morn about 7. so i was like shit they are early but when i opened the door to move the bin the guy had actualy pulled it from the wall and amptied it.

during the frost the recycle guys did leave my bin at the end of the street so i complained but they still do adecent job even tho i moand about it.

I'm in G20 too.

david
davadvice
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:31 pm

ITEM 6

4th February 2009

CLEAN GLASGOW UPDATE REPORT

Purpose of Report:
The purpose of this report is to allow Committee to discuss progress on the work
undertaken during November/December 2008 by Land and Environmental Services and
others in relation to the Clean Glasgow Project

Introduction
1.1 The Clean Glasgow Project which was launched in February 2007 continues with its ‘aim to
clean up Glasgow and make it a cleaner place for people to live and work, children to play
and everyone to visit’.
1.2 This report details recent initiatives and work involving Land and Environmental Services and
others during November/December 2008 which contributed to this multi-agency project
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:50 pm

I went out to the back yard to put a sack in the bin and it was empty. S'funny, I thought. I'm sure I forgot to put it out the front last Friday.

My binboys had emptied it though they're not supposed to. I have elderly neighbours who have their bins emptied anyway and the previous tenant of my flat was a disabled elderly neighbour. Maybe I'll fill it with beer this Christmas and leave it out the front. They're good lads. :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:05 pm

ET

GLASGOW is to push ahead with a £40million hi-tech plan to recycle mountains of the city's rubbish.

Robert Booth, executive director of land and envir-onmental services at Glasgow City Council, is now to ask councillors to agree to setting up an autoclave system at Polmadie in a bid to improve the city's woeful record on going green.

If installed at the South Side plant, the steam system would be capable of recovering and recycling up to 80% of domestic waste through environmentally friendly processes.

The giant pressure cooker will separate aluminium, steel, textiles glass, plastics and wood, with everything else reduced to organic material.

£40m steam cooker will slash city's mountains of rubbish

The autoclave takes in the raw rubbish, superheats it and then sorts it for recycling
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:53 pm

Mori wrote:The autoclave takes in the raw rubbish, superheats it and then sorts it for recycling

The reverse process of government, then.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:22 pm

Item 2A ( 13 pages )

4th February 2009

WASTE MANAGEMENT STRATEGY

Purpose of Report:
To advise on the strategic policy aims and objectives for waste, to update on current
activities and to outline a business case for a major operational development to support
the strategic aims.
Recommendation:
It is recommended that Committee
1. Considers the content of the Waste Strategy and associated Outline Business Case
for dealing with residual waste.
2. Recommends that it be presented to the Executive Committee for authorisation to
progress with autoclave solution through market testing.
3. Notes regular updates will be brought to PDS Committee for further scrutiny of
progress in relation to the autoclave proposal.

Financial benefits of Option
The introduction of the single plant option would enable savings of £220 million to be made
over the 25 year term of the contract when compared with the delivery of the Single Outcome
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ecohandy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:49 pm

DO SOMETHING DRASTIC......CUT THE PLASTIC!!

Glasgow I need your help, this is a subject that we keep talking about time and time again and all other counties and countries seem to be sorting it apart from us. Wales has just moved to ban plastic bags and we are getting left behind. We can no longer leave it up to the supermarkets and high street stores to reduce giving away plastic bags we need to take the initiative.

Why do I need your help. I am opening up a shop in Glasgow which will be selling folding re-usable shopping bags. Well you might say to yourself whats so good about this. This will be the first shop on the UK solely to sell these type of bags and at present are only really available on the internet.

Products like these are a visual purchases, people only really buy them when they see them at the end of checkouts and dont go looking for them. This will change for Glasgow. I will be working with people like waste aware scotland and other organisations to make sure that Scotland does decrease the usage of plastic carrier bags.

There are many people that feel that this is not possible in Glasgow and will not work, what I need is for people to complete my short online survey to prove that it will. I would really appreciate if we can stick together and prove that Wales and other counties and countries can do something that we can't.

My survey will only take 3 minutes to do there's only a few questions and It can be everyones first step to rid Scotland of plastic carrier bags.

http://cuttheplastic.surveyconsole.com

Thanks very much

Antony
ecohandy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby My Kitten » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:40 pm

The thing is... you still have to carry around all these bags to use them. I have a rucksack and anything more than that I get a bag. Usually its only more than that due to the ridiculous amount of packaging around said item (do we really need two layers of packaging in fruit?)

Banning plastic bags may be part of the answer - not always, there is a need for a bag just not with every purchase. The amount of useless packaging is the main bugbear.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:20 pm

If you could get the shops to take the bags back and reuse them, that would be a start. But that would screw up the advertising potential. I save any surplus ones for the charity shops and they seem to be glad of them.

It's a noble cause though. I used to live in Germany, and the supermarkets offered either linen or paper bags - no plastic. You could also return your glass bottles and your egg boxes to the shops for reuse, rather than recycling. That was already more than ten years ago, and I am still waiting for evidence that things might go the same way here.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Monument wrote:If you could get the shops to take the bags back and reuse them, that would be a start. But that would screw up the advertising potential. I save any surplus ones for the charity shops and they seem to be glad of them.

It's a noble cause though. I used to live in Germany, and the supermarkets offered either linen or paper bags - no plastic. You could also return your glass bottles and your egg boxes to the shops for reuse, rather than recycling. That was already more than ten years ago, and I am still waiting for evidence that things might go the same way here.

It's also standard practice to strip off excess packaging and leave it at the point of sale. Although it's admittedly easier to do this when, as most of them still do, you buy small amounts of fresh stuff every day or two rather than load up the boot once a week/month.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)