'Hidden' Glasgow Conference Venue

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

'Hidden' Glasgow Conference Venue

Postby alfraser » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi there,

I am part of a team of postgraduate students at Glasgow University, organising an academic conference looking at research with 'hidden' groups in society. However, we have been struggling a bit to find a venue in the university, and have started thinking about possible alternatives, preferably one which fits in some way with the topic of the conference; i.e. is 'hidden' in some way. We had thought that some venue/space in Glasgow which is not typically used as a conference venue, or not popularly known of, might be a good idea. We came across this website and thought someone might be able to help!

We are looking for somewhere that could seat around 50-60, for two days, with provision for lunch/coffee etc (either in-house catering, or a kitchen for external caterers to use), and is not too expensive. Also, ideally, we would be looking for somewhere that is nearby, or easily accessible from, Glasgow Uni campus.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Ali Fraser
alfraser
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: 'Hidden' Glasgow Conference Venue

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:06 pm

Scottish Engineering Centre, The Teacher Building, 14-18 St. Enoch Square Glasgow G1 4DB might be worth a look.

I've been to many seminars/ lectures there over the years. Not too close to Gilmorehill but right at a subway station and just off a number of bus routes.

http://www.findmeaconference.com/500370.htm
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fullfatmilk » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:12 pm

Hi Ali

Sounds like an interesting gathering - first venue that springs to mind is the recently reclaimed/renovated "Brittania Panopticon Music Hall in Argyle Street".

I don't have first-hand experience of using it but know a man that does. In the meantime, check out this site for more information:

http://www.glasgowmerchantcity.net/britanniapanopticontrust.htm

Good luck

Dermot
fullfatmilk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Knight of the Thistle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:02 am

Hi Ali

Just a suggestion, might be a bit out of the way but its definitely hidden and unheard of! The Burnside Scout hall Crawfurd Road, Rutherglen. Dont know if it would be too small for your requirements but it has 2 floors and a kitchen with tea & coffee making facilities as we use it to meet there for the Rutherglen Model Rail Club. I can give you contact details if your interested.

Aw the best :D Chris.
Take back the streets!
Knight of the Thistle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:25 am

I was in Sloan's last night and the Ballroom is still mighty impressive. Disabled access however is i think its downfall.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:55 pm

How about the wonderful St. Andrews in the Square?

http://www.standrewsinthesquare.com/Flash/saints.html
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby crazygray23 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:04 am

onyirtodd wrote:Scottish Engineering Centre, The Teacher Building, 14-18 St. Enoch Square Glasgow G1 4DB might be worth a look.

I've been to many seminars/ lectures there over the years. Not too close to Gilmorehill but right at a subway station and just off a number of bus routes.

http://www.findmeaconference.com/500370.htm

ive been there too and id say its definately hidden its totally different from what you see on the outside
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:12 am

onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:50 pm

I passed The Albany Learning and Conference Centre earlier. It's in Ashley Street.

I don't know any more about it than is here http://www.gcvs.org.uk/whats_new/news/a ... nce_centre but it might be worth checking out.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mickey » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi,

the Tron Theatre would be ideal size wise for you, all the rooms are either upstairs and windowless and rather "hidden" in the classic sense or in the basement.

Very atmospheric.
mickey
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)