Subway today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Subway today

Postby Mori » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:31 pm

Evening Times

Fare on city’s Subway set to increase

THE cost of travelling on Glasgow's Subway is set to rise further next spring.

The biggest jump will be on the Discovery ticket, used by thousands of visitors in the city, which will increase from £1.90 to £2.50, more than 30%.

The single adult fare will rise from £1 to £1.10 and a return from £2 to £2.20 - leaving commuters scrabbling around for extra 10p and 20p coins.

Multi-journey tickets will spiral from £8 to £9 for a 10-journey ticket and from £15 to £17 for 20 trips
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:12 pm

Bastards. I'm paying with a £20 every time now.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:57 pm

Then don't be surprised if they give you your change all in coppers :twisted:
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:34 pm

That was the old bus & tram clippies trick ::):
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:04 pm

stinkpad wrote:Then don't be surprised if they give you your change all in coppers :twisted:

They love doing that. It's pretty much all they can do, but you can tell they enjoy weighing people down.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:06 am

A wee article on the BBC website about night workers http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7016371.stm
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby S.Hayward » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:53 pm

motman wrote:A wee article on the BBC website about night workers http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7016371.stm

Cool artical didn't know what went on after hours

night shift kills tho

Sam
"Lets demolish things for thew sake of newness" - How to screw up and create soleless boxes with no charachter
S.Hayward
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:50 pm

Evening Times

City bosses want to extend the 15-station Subway route into the East End before the 2014 Games

AN extra 1.6million passengers a year would use the Subway if it was extended into Glasgow's East End, a study has found.

But early finance estimates for the project show it could cost as much as £120million to complete the spur.

Experts were commissioned this year to find out the likely cost of a new link and how many people would use it.

They have now submitted their report for the extension, which would connect the main Argyle Line in the city centre with the Parkhead area.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:59 pm

It's always good to hear proposals to extend the subway - these have been going on for about 60 years now - almost since the days of electrification. But linking onto disused overground routes is a new idea. Apart from the capital costs of these works it must be remembered that the track gauge of the subway is 4 foot as opposed to the BR standard of 4 foor 8 3/8 inches. This kills off the subway sharing overground services, and makes the purchase of new rolling stock a lot higher than off-the-shelf offerings from European manufacturers. MetroCammell of Birmingham, who built the original stock, are long gone now.
But I wonder is there will ever be the money to do any of this - with the Edinburgh trams and the Glasgow Airport link both underway, I cannot see there being a lot more money in the kitty for a long time to come. London can, of course, get umpteen billion for CrossRail and theirThameslink project (originally called Thameslink2000 - there tells a story :roll: ).
Ho-hum.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:53 am

I have to say I liked the idea of having tram/train solutions as a subway extension- basically trams that could run on train tracks and on street too. Was proposed for the Cathcart Circle and Paisley Canal Line.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:35 am

Subway tunnel terror

Image Image

DOZENS of passengers were forced to walk through an underground tunnel after a Subway train broke down.
Passengers on the busy Inner Circle service were stranded after the train came to a sudden halt between St Georges Cross and Kelvinbridge stations.
After 20 minutes, the driver told the 76 passengers they would have to walk to the back of the train and along the track to Kelvinbridge station.
The fault led to the suspension of the Inner Circle for around 90 minutes yesterday afternoon.
Hundreds of people were forced to use the Outer Circle or make alternative travel arrangements.
Passenger Johnny Laff, who was travelling between Buchanan Street and Kelvin Hall, said: "After waiting for 20 minutes we were told the train had conked out.
"It took about five minutes walking in the cold and muck to get to Kelvinbridge, which wasn't very pleasant, especially as I don't like enclosed spaces.
"Some people got a bit panicky."
Mr Laff, who is starring in panto as Buttons at the Pavilion theatre, said he was disappointed at not being offered more help by Subway staff.
He added: "When we got to Kelvin we were told either we'd need to get back on the Outer Circle and travel round all the other stations, or make our own way.
"We didn't even get a refund.
"I ended up walking. What should have been a 10-minute journey took me an hour-and-a-half."

An SPT spokesman said: "Due to a breakdown we had to close the Inner Circle for an hour-and-a-half.
"The priority of our staff was to get the 76 passengers safely to Kelvinbridge station and offer them advice on their onward journey.
"Services were back up and running at 3.30pm, in time for the rush-hour."
The incident came almost a year after dozens of terrified passengers were forced to flee a train and walk half-a-mile along a Subway tunnel in darkness.
Pensioners and schoolchildren were among more than 90 commuters who made the 10-minute walk to Partick after smoke filled the carriages shortly after the train left Govan in January.
Four years earlier, dozens of commuters also had to walk through a tunnel when a Subway train broke down on the Inner Circle near Kelvinbridge station.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:06 am

I was watching the coverage on the news last night and thinking, ooo how many hg'ers would love to have been in that train!

I did chortle when Mr Laff said he was claustrophobic, what the heck is he doing in a tiny wee train then? The tunnels are much better for walking along than in the wee train.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:04 am

Couldn't it be arranged? :twisted: :twisted: Seriously though, I wonder what regular training is given to staff in detraining and station procedures? CCTV is all very well, but a bit of assistance and reassurance from humans does wonders for any organisation. Lots of effort in this field is made by London Underground, usually with assistance from the police, and post mortems are carried out to pick up any lessons learned. OK its a much bigger setup there, but I'm sure a wee call from SPT to their bigger mates dahn sarf in the railway training centre would not go amiss.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:33 am

*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:39 pm

motman wrote: Lots of effort in this field is made by London Underground, usually with assistance from the police, and post mortems are carried out to pick up any lessons learned.

They need to, given the number of times their trains break down in tunnels..... :roll:
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)