Summer Holiday Vandals

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Summer Holiday Vandals

Postby marginalwalker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:31 pm

Gawd, its the summer holidays and pesky kids are on the rampage breaking close door windows in the Dennistoun area.

Allthough its generally quiet, the area is full of young kids, not even neds! with nowt to do.. Is this something that happens in Glasgow a lot?
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:48 pm

I'm in Dennistoun and our Close Door is forever being broken,
Sometimes the door locks and you can't open it from the inside (one of those electronic button press ones) It's usually the weans trying to jam it open so they can run thru while playing.

Plus the weans run riot out our back till as late as 11pm (My Living Room faces out the back) and have to listen to them screaming because it's too clammy to close the window.
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:57 pm

Alex,

Im in Dennistoun Village these days. Although its quiet and peaceful generally, its just them pesky kids that hang around the wee park where the statue is that's causing this crap.

The police say they need more people to phone them before they can do anything more.. which I find shocking!

Then there is the Factors, the owners cant be arsed voting/paying for the private security option over the Summer.

I wonder what Alex Glass' view on pesky kids over the summer and policing them are?
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:43 pm

Say you think one of them had a gun and the armed response unit will be round in 30 seconds.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:02 pm

scallopboy wrote:Say you think one of them had a gun and the armed response unit will be round in 30 seconds.

Thats a good idea actually...
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:15 pm

All volunteering to run summer playschemes. Enjoying your council tax freeze gained by cutting back on activities for children. Or are t=you just a bunch of Sweetie wives?

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:18 pm

Around here it's actually been far quieter than usual. Suppose everyone is on their hols.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:19 pm

marginalwalker wrote:Alex,

Im in Dennistoun Village these days. Although its quiet and peaceful generally, its just them pesky kids that hang around the wee park where the statue is that's causing this crap.

The police say they need more people to phone them before they can do anything more.. which I find shocking!

Then there is the Factors, the owners cant be arsed voting/paying for the private security option over the Summer.

I wonder what Alex Glass' view on pesky kids over the summer and policing them are?

Hi MW

There are some parts of the city affected worse than others during the summer holidays. I know of areas where the kids are totally out of control 12 months of the year. Not that I am trying to diminish you plight MW.

As for the police response. Whilst it may not be acceptable they do need people to phone in when things like this happen in an area. The more phone calls made results in more attention being drawn to areas where there are problems.

Not knowing the extent of your problem it is hard to say what I think is the appropriate action, but it maybe something that you would like to discuss with either your local councillors or Community Safely Glasgow. They may be able to suggest some diversionary youth work within your area to try and give those kids involved an avenue for all the energy they appear to have and are currently using to wind you up.

Let me know how you get on if you do try the suggestion above.

hope this is helpful
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:20 pm

marginalwalker wrote:Alex,

I am in the new build on Duke Street (1990) and we generally have a bad problem with Graffiti and vandalism in the Back Court area due to it's open plan (As is one of the few Grassy area's in Dennistoun) the weans all run about daft out there during the week but at the weekend it's a different matter but that only counts for during school term,

Right now there are about 5-6 young lads out the back just now drinking and if I phone the police they'll be long gone by the time they turn up so no longer see the point as they aren't generally being bad just a bit loud but that doesn't bother me, It's the getting up tomorrow and the close smells of piss and there are DSF (Duke Street Fleet) Menchies all over the bottom close. :evil:

The housing association (when they find out) take it upon themselves to come round, Take Picture's and then send us all letters about the vandalism and to keep the close doors locked......Which is Imf**kingpossible when half the time the front door is either Jammed Shut or Burst open,
And if you lock the Back Door you have to put up with your neighbours growling at you because their weans were out there playing and can't get back in.

If I follow the rules my neighbours Moan....If I ignore the rules my Housing Association Moans.

What's a tenant to do. :roll:

P.s Sorry for the rant I don't do it much but you've picked a nerve with this yin Marginal. :wink:
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:08 pm

as a youth worker , i gotta say, my place in cambuslang is mobbed with kids and youths of all ages, we had to turn some away and attempt to find more staff.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:30 am

What about the two wee boys threatened with an ASBO for playing Kerbie:-
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/disp ... kerbie.php
Maybe the mean-spirited bastards who reported them should go and live in Dennistoun.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:07 pm

Absolute nonsense .. these anal retentives really need to get some perspective on the whole thing.

:roll:
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:50 pm

Alex,

Would it be possible for you to find out who the local community police officer is or something?

Its a shame because the drives are usually quiet, its not even hardcore neds either!!
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gallowgategal » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:17 pm

I'm on the Gallowgate and I hate school holidays as it seems hundreds of kids come and play in our back gardens.
Last year I was constantly moving them and asking them to be quiet (at midnight !) For my troubles I had "cow" scraped in 3 inch letters on my car. I was in constant contact with the police and I gave some names however all they did was walk round a couple of nights then nothing !
This year I'm trying to not let them bother me but must admit it's hard, I'm also trying to park my car in areas I can see it constantly and where it won't be hit with a football (don't want this car damaged)
I was no angel when I was young but some of these kids are wee monsters! :evil:
have I missed anything ???
gallowgategal
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:20 pm

Sad thing is their parents dont usually give a toss, theyre too busy ignoring the kids to skelp theyre arses.

Im lucky i stay in a quiet area, about 8kids in the street 10-18 you hear them playing hide n seek but no major issues.

Is fine the parents, but then again their little 'angels' dont act like that.

In 1997 i worked in Langlee in Galashiels, one night i came out of work at 10pm, and a 3yo was running around the car park naked, i bet if summit had happened to that kid the parents'd been up in arms.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)