Big erection near Glasgow...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Big erection near Glasgow...

Postby rosco » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:51 am

8O Now that I have your attention.... :wink:

There's a big shiny tower/mast thing to the east of Glasgow visible from the M80 (visible to the left of the water towers) that I'm pretty sure wasn't there until very recently. It looks too big to be a mobile phone mast but not big enough to be a building. I'm sure there's a Glasgow skyline photo with it shining in the distance but I can't remember which thread I saw it in (not the Skyline thread, I checked), or if it was even here.

Can anyone quell my curiosity?
Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:43 pm

Havnt been up that way ina wee while but I think its part of the Glasgow Fort development at the M8 at Garthamlock/Easterhouse.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby JayKay » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:09 pm

yeah, I've seen this too and wondered what it was. Looks like a Rocket launch platform (with rocket) if you ask me :wink:
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rosco » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:22 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Havnt been up that way ina wee while but I think its part of the Glasgow Fort development at the M8 at Garthamlock/Easterhouse.

You could be right

if this artist's impression is anything to go by, all I could find. Seems quite impressive. Hopefully they'll be launching mad rockets from the tower soon. :P
Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:00 pm

Wow! more retail space! just what we needed. Don't see a Primark outlet though so the 93' won't be spending his cash here I'm afraid :wink:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rosco » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:07 pm

There must be a limit to the retail extravaganza that is Glasgow. Personally, I'd rather see the south bank of the Clyde get a bit of that action to help pull the city centre more around the river a wee bit.

I guess out-of-town sites are cheaper, but we need our green space do we not. Brown space is never pretty or useful.
Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby duncan » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:09 pm

hmmm, a glass-covered shopping centre. how very Fort-like. what bright spark thought of calling it Glasgow Fort?
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby trudger » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:59 am

a a a
Last edited by trudger on Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:31 pm

As a kid I used to play in the area they've built this... a landfill site, which is known to occassionally burst into flames! 8O

TMaybe Glasgow doesn't need any more retail space, but these areas certainly need jobs, and if you've ever been to Shandwick Sqaure I think you'll agree something is needed!

As for the name, there was actually a bit of a bru-ha-ha when they announced it, local councillors and the like had the objection that it had negative connotations and could encourage the gangland warfare that was once so prevelant in the area (now they just murder each other :roll: ).

Crusty :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby JayKay » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:45 am

Hopefully they'll be launching mad rockets from the tower soon. :P

Plenty of mad rockets in that part of Glasgow!
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:02 pm

rosco wrote:I guess out-of-town sites are cheaper, but we need our green space do we not. Brown space is never pretty or useful.

There's a bigger demand too for outta town shopping. No problems finding (expensive) parking spaces, or driving through a congested town centre, one streets, etc.
Ouuta town you're straight off a by-pass, and THEN into a traffic jam :!: , park. Then into the 'lovely' Ikea/Next/insert other generic store here, shopping centres

duncan wrote:hmmm, a glass-covered shopping centre. how very Fort-like. what bright spark thought of calling it Glasgow Fort?

It is a dumb name. :roll:
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)