Subway today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:40 pm

HollowHorn wrote:What a depressing bunch of buildings :oops:

70's chic :wink:

I just noticed on this photo, the assistant is talking to a cleaner. I ran into this guy several times that day while taking photos of the stations ::): I'm sure he thought I was odd.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:18 pm

Hmmm, they are possibly worthy of a current photo to show the now lack of plants and flowers :)

I'll go a wee trip monday morning.... excuse to get the camera out :D
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:24 pm

I remember when train stations used to have wee gardens n hanging baskets, planters etc tended by the staff. And didnt they have comps for the best dressed station or something like that?
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:26 pm

BTW those undeground pics look like "rent a potplant and decorative foliage" was brought in. Was some bigwig, royal touring the area or something?
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:02 pm

I think Milngavie still has, or did have all the awards hanging up in the station. It's a long time since i've seen any flowers or baskets, but I think the station master used to do it as a bit of a hobby and when he was retired he got some kind of civic award and a wee check.
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:44 pm

McShad wrote:I thought the subway would have originally operated the same as the mainline stations in the upkeep
Instead of the contract cleaners that only seem to mop the platforms in certain bits

Is Ibrox the only station to have hanging basket around the outside of the building (Don't think they have anything resembling flowers in them)

Am I the only one who uses the cleaner bits at the edge of the platforms as a sign of where the doors are to stand near there and get on quicker in the mornings! ::):
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:26 am

Flyingscot wrote:
McShad wrote:I thought the subway would have originally operated the same as the mainline stations in the upkeep
Instead of the contract cleaners that only seem to mop the platforms in certain bits

Is Ibrox the only station to have hanging basket around the outside of the building (Don't think they have anything resembling flowers in them)

Am I the only one who uses the cleaner bits at the edge of the platforms as a sign of where the doors are to stand near there and get on quicker in the mornings! ::):

You must be one of those people that RUN to the opposite end of the train so when you get off, you have less distance to walk to exit the station. A practice that mystifies me in all honesty... I get on the train at wherever my mood takes me and thats usually the middle carriage which is less likely to be filled with people that have gone out of their way to get to the other end of the train!
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:00 am

McShad wrote:Hmmm, they are possibly worthy of a current photo to show the now lack of plants and flowers :)

I'll go a wee trip monday morning.... excuse to get the camera out :D

LACK of plants, you're joking ? Those photos were only taken a few months back, have they got rid of them ? Or aren't they hardy enough to survive our artic winter ? ::):
I don't venture to the south side stations that often.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:23 pm

McShad wrote:... I get on the train at wherever my mood takes me and thats usually the middle carriage which is less likely to be filled with people that have gone out of their way to get to the other end of the train!

Precisely my m.o. as well.

Actually I've been using the buses a bit more recently now I'm able to travel on them for free. A bit slower than the Subway but at least you get to look out of the windows and watch the world go by.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:00 pm

glasgowken wrote:LACK of plants, you're joking ?

Plenty of plants at West St. this afternoon, could'nt say whether real or plastic though, the train was going to fast heading into the Central.
(& for those in the know, that's a fukkin' joke)
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:29 am

HollowHorn wrote:

Plenty of plants at West St. this afternoon, could'nt say whether real or plastic though, the train was going to fast heading into the Central.

Aye but not for long, theres a notice up at Hillhead saying that you can;t use the West St car park one day this week and they are going to clear some vegetation from around the station as preparation for the M74 extension.

Apparently the work has to happen before the end of march, or not il November due to birds nesting......
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:40 am

Quite right, wouldnt want any wee birds to end up homeless cause of this. People having to move home n businnesses - aye, what do they matter. :cry:
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:46 pm

McShad wrote:
Flyingscot wrote:

You must be one of those people that RUN to the opposite end of the train so when you get off, you have less distance to walk to exit the station. A practice that mystifies me in all honesty... I get on the train at wherever my mood takes me and thats usually the middle carriage which is less likely to be filled with people that have gone out of their way to get to the other end of the train!

I usually take the end carraige if I'm getting off at Govan, although a lot of people take that carraige for Hillhead. Otherwise I tend to use the middle carraiges as they are generally quieter (noise wise) than the other 2 as they have no motors! ::):
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:00 pm

HollowHorn wrote:

What's happening about the plants then? Aren't the local neds into gardening freebies? Or has SPT found some petty cash? My money's on the "rent a potplant and decorative foliage", so there must be some filmies around or some urban nyaff doing a documentary talking bollocks. But I must admit that they do look nice against the ugly brickwork.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:24 pm

Looks like a good deal.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)