Subway today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:30 pm

I see the shadow of the hand of the Bavarian Illuminati.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:14 pm

McShad wrote:And a driver with a drinking problem

He'll be aff for 28 days.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:52 pm

dazza
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:36 pm

Gal's Grin, Daz? :D
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:38 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Gal's Grin, Daz? :D

You're not starting that Ms Dazza stuff again, are you?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:53 pm

Old Subway I know, but here's video of the Queen having a wee whirl on it in 1979.

http://www.scotlandontv.tv/?channel=History&clipid=1380_SMG335
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:57 pm

Money, money, money - now where have I heard these stories before? :roll:
300m will buy an awful lot of stuff. Anyone know what the shopping list is?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6418769.stm
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:03 pm

the subway will never pay its way as its too small, it just doesn't serve the population of Glasgow and its conurbation. Anyone whos ever played Sim City will know that if ur underground doesnt serve enough population nodes he it simply isnt profitable or even useful - indeed it becomes a liability! Maxis know this - why not the Executive? ::): True tho.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:57 pm

crusty_bint wrote:the subway will never pay its way as its too small, it just doesn't serve the population of Glasgow and its conurbation. Anyone whos ever played Sim City will know that if ur underground doesnt serve enough population nodes he it simply isnt profitable or even useful - indeed it becomes a liability! Maxis know this - why not the Executive? ::): True tho.

Aye let's shut it. It was built as a luxury for Wendies anyway. The only reason it came over to the Southside was because it had to make a circle. :roll:
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:06 pm

I wasn't being facetious or implying that Soccs, but I think its fair to say that at the time of its completion it did serve the majority of the population of Glasgow, just not now unfortunately. Always thought they should do away with Kinning Park, Shields Rd and West St stations and extend the loop southwards through Pollokshields, Pollokshaws, Shawlands Langside and Battlefield, over to Hampden then loop back northwards via Govanhill and the Gorbals to Bridge St, they could even do it without closing the system down.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:23 pm

crusty_bint wrote:I wasn't being facetious or implying that Soccs, but I think its fair to say that at the time of its completion it did serve the majority of the population of Glasgow, just not now unfortunately.......

Sorry Crusty it was me being facetious, i did not think that you were. I kind of think that when the Subway was first opened it was almost experimental and it was thought that if successful it would be extended.

I read somewhere that the one of the original Civils Contractors went bust during it's construction and for a period thereafter, the operating company and the Civils Contractors lost their appetite for the idea of extending it.

Other than perhaps the existing Glasgow Caledonian tunnels being utilised i cannot see the Subway being extended with new tunnels. It would cost hundreds of millions.

On the Southside the argument would be that there is a good overground Railway service and and a Subway is not required.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:35 pm

Yeah I totally agree bud, it will never be extended, and certainly not in any of our lifetimes, again mores the pity. Its amazing that the money can be found to provide Edinburgh an underground rail link to its airport tho, and the fact theyre even talking about billions for a tunnel to replace the Forth Rd bridge!

I see your point regarding the heavy rail system on the southside, don;t know that I agree with the logic of it though (not your logic, more the premise) as although the rail network is there, I've only ever used it twice in the 5 years Iv been on the southside, and one of those occasions they had to lay on busses from Pollokshields.

I was going to talk about east end expansion (which could use abandoned tunnels) but I think theres even less of a chance of that ever happening - even though it would be a more effective regeneration catalyst than this proposed road (dubbed the "east end regeneration route").

Spose we'll just have to make do with the accolade of it being unique in the world in that its the third oldest, yet the only one never to be expanded.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Flyingscot » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:05 pm

I don't know- I think a subway expansion, could do a lot for traffic in the City- far more than the M74 extension IMHO! I belive a subway line would be more cost effective than the Clyde Fastlink etc, that is proposed.

London already has a good heavy-rail system, but has added numerous underground stations and lines (although most new ones are light rail and the population is bigger) but other cities smaller than Glasgow do decent underground systems.

Transport Spending is always good and a few high speed rail links and underground lines might go down well....
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:11 pm

I think we all here are in agreement with your humble opinion Flying Scot, just not anyone in a position to do anything about it! But then, why expand the subway system in Glasgow when you live, or at least work, in Edinburgh? :P
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Flyingscot » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:03 pm

crusty_bint wrote:I think we all here are in agreement with your humble opinion Flying Scot, just not anyone in a position to do anything about it! But then, why expand the subway system in Glasgow when you live, or at least work, in Edinburgh? :P

But surely Transport Scotland displaced their offices to Glasgow ::):
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)