Tenements with Lifts

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Tenements with Lifts

Postby Jazza » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:31 pm

Does anyone know of any tenements in Glasgow with a lift?

I am thinking more domestic buildings than office as I know there are plenty office blocks in town with the old slidey-manual-door lifts.

Also, for anyone with engineering skills, could a lift be installed in the central stair well and how much might it cost? I was thinking in relation to the value of some flats the cost of a lift might not be too bad - although you might not get the lower floor agreeing.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby elgee » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:35 pm

There are new tenements in Scotstoun/Whiteinch around Methil St or Sctorstoun St that have lifts but if you mean traditional sandstone lifts , no I dont know of any with lifts
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:38 pm

There's a renovation job on the corner of Athole Gardens and Saltoun St that i believe has a lift in it. Although its a massive job - im not sure how much of the original fabric is left, so its a bit misleading.
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:41 pm

Likewise I have never heard of a traditional domestic tenement with a lift. Also, the stairs going up to each half landing are always close together so you would not have enough room within the stairwell for the stairs and a lift. Presumably a set of stairs would need to be available for safety reasons.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Aye, you'd definitely need both.
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:50 pm

I certainly don't think there were any (traditional) tenements built with lifts... sadly. I honestly couldnt say how much it would cost to install one in a stairwell as it would depend on the type of lift mechanism, size and arrangement of the stairwell etc but i dare say it wouldnt be cheap! You could get a roughh idea from a SPONS catalogue and such like (some libraries have copies) but at a guess you'd probably be £30-40 grand for the lift itself plus another £10-20 grand (easily) for the preperation and remedial works involved before and after installation. Add to that annual maintenance costs, which could be hundreds dependant on how many flats are in the close.

Good question though! I wondered about this myself when I lived in a 5 storey tenement a couple of years ago. Would be interested to know more... Socceroo???
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:02 pm

Great guess Crusty. 8) We'll make an estimator of you yet. 4 - 5 storey lift is about £70K.

I think there is some of the big Mansions in the West End with private Otis Lifts which were put in when they were converting to electricity around 1900. I read it somewhere in a book. I'll have a look later.

I am unaware of any Tenements with them unless some of the Tenemental Mansion Blocks had them?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:11 pm

Kelvin Court has teeeny wee lifts that holds about 2 people
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:36 pm

elgee wrote:Kelvin Court has teeeny wee lifts that holds about 2 people

And the ones at the back hold about 1/2 a person.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:43 pm

scallopboy wrote:
elgee wrote:Kelvin Court has teeeny wee lifts that holds about 2 people

And the ones at the back hold about 1/2 a person.

Scallops on the half-shell?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:10 pm

One close in Allan Street, Dalmarnock had a lift in it, and had four flats on each landing. Demolished now though.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:31 pm

There are new build "tenement style" flats at the end of Falkland Street in Hyndland that have lifts in them.
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:55 am

Living and working all my life in Glasgow I have never come across a lift built into a traditional style tenement, either originally when it was built or later on in its life.

I have however come across an "up & downstairs" flat in a tenement - which caused us no end of confusion.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:58 am

Fireman wrote:Living and working all my life in Glasgow I have never come across a lift built into a traditional style tenement, either originally when it was built or later on in its life.

I have however come across an "up & downstairs" flat in a tenement - which caused us no end of confusion.

The one i mentioned above was in an old traditional style tenement in Allan st. Wether it was added later or originally there i dont know. It was a modern lift, maybe they used the original open stair well for the shaft at some later date.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:58 am

generally all new build residential will require a lift.

some strange little lifts are available, for example i am using one on a project that will be slid in to the existing shaft to provide disabled access up to 2nd floor of a refurb.

in reality, this would probably extend to 3 tenement type floors as the floor to floor is rather high. this has the benefit of not requiring a machine room at the top (which would obviously look daft on a tenement pitched roof and would also likely be a planning issue) and only requires the minimum of ground works to minimise foundation work in your tenement which would obviously be expensive and require an engineer.

other more conventional lifts (passenger type as opposed to disabled) will require a pit and although they may say they are 'machine room-less' they still have a protrusion through the roof (well, 3600mm roughly from the final floor level to the top of the lift shaft.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)