Canon EOS lens advice please

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Canon EOS lens advice please

Postby Late to the Party » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:45 am

No bother. Like I said, happy to meet for a coffee and let you have a play with my copies but I'm using them a lot just now so can't give you them to take away with you. Besides, I've no idea who you are and they're like my family!
Late to the Party
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:25 pm

::):

Could I complicate things a bit further and suggest a wide aperture prime? Damn sight easier to cart around, for one thing, and f/1.4 is fun.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Sharon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Mr Late to the Party, lovely to meet you and thanks for letting me have a look at those lenses, much food for thought (following some ebay price checking)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Late to the Party » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Nice to meet you too lass! Sorry if there were no obvious answers after playing with the lenses for a while.... It's kind of a hard decision at the best of times, never mind if you've not got a specific use in mind. Sure that from the list of choices you've got you'll not be disappointed whatever way you jump.

Will try to send those files tomorrow.

Dougie
Late to the Party
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:07 pm

Time for mew to get some filters to improve my landscape photograpy, ive read and heard about ND filters etc, and saw this kit, is it any good

http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photograph ... -1250.html

The perfect gift for anyone with a Digital SLR!

Neutral Density filters have a multitude of uses - from increasing detail in landscapes and reducing over-exposed skies, to creating stunning motion scenes by reducing shutter speeds. Here's a kit which includes all the popular square ND filters, and everything you need to get started!

The kit contains:

* 1 x P-Type ND2 Filter
* 1 x P-Type ND2 Soft Graduated Filter
* 1 x P-Type ND4 Filter
* 1 x P-Type ND4 Soft Graduated Filter
* 1 x P-Type Filter Holder
* 1 x P-Type 58mm Adapter Ring
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:13 pm

Looks like a no bad deal, that. I'd suggest a circular polarising filter as well, for landscapes (the type of filter that is, not the shape which can still be square, if you know what I mean). I ought to get myself all of these at some point, actually...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby tobester » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Thanks LP
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby David83 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Hay folks, iv posted a couple of times on the picture share, but first time having a look at what else is going on.

I have a 500D, and the started 18-55 lenses that came with the camera and also a Tamron 55-200. I have been reading up on the all in one lenses that have the same range as both lenses and was wondering is anyone has gone the same direction and their verdict on the lenses any recommendations.

I was thinking on this lens.

http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/p-38844- ... c-eos.aspx

cheers
David.
I plan on living forever!! Who's with me?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidlogan83/
David83
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Late to the Party » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:47 pm

Can't beat them for convenience really. Aside from the hassle of having to carry a range of lenses, changing them regularly can let a lot of dust and rubbish into your camera and a superzoom like this will help reduce that problem greatly.

The only downsides really are image quality and the fact that they don't tend to be particularly fast: the one you linked is only f6.3 at the long end so it's not going to be particularly good in low light. Depending on what you're shooting that may or may not make much difference to you. Because they cover such a massive range there are a lot of compromises optically, so you'll find that they have a lot more distortion and may be softer than most other lenses.

If you're looking for the best quality your camera can provide then it'll probably be quite frustrating. If you're looking for something convenient to eliminate faff for every day use then you might love it.

There's a good review of that particular lens here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx
Late to the Party
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Equipment