Canon or Nikon?

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

If starting from scratch would you go for Canon or Nikon?

Canon
42%
Nikon
58%

Total votes : 19

Canon or Nikon?

Postby Sharon » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:54 am

I am looking to get myself a DSLR finally, and want one that will take me from beginner to half decent. Point is i want a good camera setup that I don't need to bin after I calibrate my eye and get some skills! (which might not happen too quickly...) (and I have some money to spend just now which will quickly go on other things if not directed this way!)

Anyway, as posted in the equipment thread I have been swithering over various cameras and of course the big do I go canon or nikon dilemna.

The guy in Calumet was recommending Nikon setup over Canon on the grounds the Nikon lenses were sharper. Which is what led me towards looking at Nikons- he said this as he stood in front of a Nikon display stand so may be commercially biased towards Nikon...but ... does this verdict hold true?

So, if you were starting from scratch would you go down the canon or Nikon route - and why!????
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Canon or Nikon?

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:20 am

Do I back Cambridge or Oxford in the boat race?

Australia or England for the ashes?

They each take it in turns to be in the ascendancy and so it is with Canon and Nikon as I understand it.

Pick a team and remain biased the rest of your days. Cambridge, England, Canon.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:33 am

I no longer have a camera ( not including the little but excellent fuji compact I have), but my first ever SLR was a nikon, even though was brought up in a family of pentax users. I have been reading everones thoughts on all the different cameras they have and use in the hope that one day I might be able to afford a new one. While the Cannon is very tempting going by the photos on this site, my heart will always be true to the wonderful Nikon lenses
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 pm

out of those 2 I'd prefer Nikon. The colours produced by their lenses are nicer.

Although I prefer the colour of the Minolta lenses and the Zeiss lenses available for the Sony
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotgio » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:13 pm

Sharon wrote:The guy in Calumet was recommending Nikon setup over Canon on the grounds the Nikon lenses were sharper.

Thats just fanboy nonsense. There is very little difference in favour of either Canon or Nikon - do you really believe that every single lens in the Nikon line up is going to be sharper? Do Nikon know some magic lens making spell that Canon don't?

Pro grade lenses are generally always very good, be it Sony/Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Olympus/almost anyone. Look at the lens reviews on dpreview.com. Sometimes Canon is slightly better for a given focal length, sometimes Nikon is. In reality it doesn't matter, the differences can usually only be observed in lab conditions with a resolution chart. Who cares!
scotgio
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:40 pm

When faced with a similar decision, I went with Canon due to the fact that I knew a few people (including my flatmate) who had Canon gear. It's been really useful to be able to swap around various bits of kit. There's really nothing in it in terms of one being "better" than the other. The guy who told you that Nikon lenses are sharper is almost certainly on a commission from Nikon.

Given that Canon's just released the 5DmkII, there are some amazing second-hand deals going on the 5D just now. The 5D is an amazing camera. It's what I use and I love it to pieces.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:27 pm

I do kinda wish i'd jumped at the 7day shop deal yesterday...but i'm just not that impulsive!

Anywhere you look for 2nd hand kit - other than ebay?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby potatojunkie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:25 pm

Flickr, now and then.

Don't know if this guy ever sold his 5D.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:39 pm

Every newspaper photographer I have ever known, whether their gear was supplied by the company or bought by themselves, has used Nikon. Now, either the company gives great discounts to journalists, or their stuff is the best. Personally, I want to trade up to a DSLR soon (ish). And Nikon is what I will buy, having worked for years beside people who used nothing but.
I agree that the two companies leapfrog each other in terms of technology and ease of use, and that you are stepping in to a moving river whichever you choose. But with a DSLR you are buying a body *and* a lens, and you will probably be buying other lenses, so you are committing to the future of the company.
I'm going with Nikon.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:55 pm

best advice got to calumet/jessops and try camera in your hand see what feels best. LEAVE MONEY AT HOME :D get something like a canon 400d/450d or Nikon d70/d80 not overly expensive. use it to learn after a year decide if you want to take photography more serious or in what direction you want to go.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:32 am

Ronnie wrote:Every newspaper photographer I have ever known, whether their gear was supplied by the company or bought by themselves, has used Nikon. Now, either the company gives great discounts to journalists, or their stuff is the best. Personally, I want to trade up to a DSLR soon (ish). And Nikon is what I will buy, having worked for years beside people who used nothing but.
I agree that the two companies leapfrog each other in terms of technology and ease of use, and that you are stepping in to a moving river whichever you choose. But with a DSLR you are buying a body *and* a lens, and you will probably be buying other lenses, so you are committing to the future of the company.
I'm going with Nikon.

you are definitely investing in the system, although at the beginning it isn't too expensive to switch horses once you've amassed a small collection of lenses and accessories switching becomes very expensive.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Digitographer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:40 pm

I read the other day in one of the photo mags that Nikon have just announced that their sales have just overtaken those of Canon. In real terms, I'm not sure there is much difference between the two in terms of quality. I agree that which ever one you buy, you are buying into that whole system rather than 'just a camera'.

My personal choice is for Canon, having started off with a D60 years ago and gradually worked my way up to the 5D. And like the poster above, I agree it is an incredibly capable camera and I love mine too.
Will
www.askyofhoney.com
Digitographer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:14 pm

scotgio wrote:Do Nikon know some magic lens making spell that Canon don't?

Patents mean that Canon has magic tricks that Nikon can't use, and vice versa. So while they can leapfrog each other in terms of options and improvements, some of the tricks are proprietry and can't simply be copied.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gochasco » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:51 am

I bought my first DSLR a couple of years back. My son already had a nikon which I had tried out a couple of times. At the time canon were doing a great deal on their entry level 400D. (Mainly because they had a new model in the pipeline.)
I had used a canon compact up 'till then, so went into a shop to try and found the canon felt better. That and the familiarity with canon's software convinced me to go with canon and now three bodies later and a fortune in glass I'm glad I chose canon but no doubt had I gone with nikon I'd be just as happy.
If you look at any big event where pro photographers gather you'll see a fair mixture of black and white lenses. I have heard tales of pros switching because the "other" manufacturer offered them freebies but for all of us amatuers I don't think it really matters which you start out on as that's the brand you'll stick with.
I agree with the advice to go into a shop and try out both.
Just remember once you go down the route of interchangeable lenses theres always a longer, wider, faster (and more expensive) one that you just HAVE to get) :(
gochasco
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:16 pm

Well, after much deliberation (and mostly waiting for a decent deal to appear!!!!) I've ordered the canon 5D with a 24-70mm lens!!

I'm hoping for a speedy delivery :)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment