Digital Camera Equipment. THE Help and discussion thread.

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Digital Camera Equipment. THE Help and discussion thread.

Postby John » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:42 pm

Post this question on the Amateur Photographer magazine forums. I am sure they will have more experience of this sort of issue.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Reenie Bujman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:32 pm

Naturally, the legal profession will give you better advice than I, however...

I understand that you own the copyright in any work that you produce unless it is a portrait, in which case the copyright belongs to the subject of that portrait.

Given that it's informal, perhaps the best thing to do is contact the person who gave you access to the premises in the first place and let them know the position as a matter of courtesy. You have every right to use your own imagery, but you're less likely to encounter hostility if you've been open in the first place. They can't very well say "no" if the legal position is in your favour.

A box of chocolate or a bottle of wine might come in handy...
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:57 pm

Ah, there's where it gets a wee bit more complicated - said building was unlisted at the time of photographing, and is now listed, with perhaps a bit of involvement of myself and said photographs. Building owner is said to be spitting mad at this....

I'm guessing permission won't be forthcoming!

Ach, it was only 50 quid anyways, I'll tell them no, last thing I want is a lawyer's letter somewhere down the line!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:26 am

gap74 wrote:Ah, there's where it gets a wee bit more complicated - said building was unlisted at the time of photographing, and is now listed, with perhaps a bit of involvement of myself and said photographs. Building owner is said to be spitting mad at this....

I'm guessing permission won't be forthcoming!

Ach, it was only 50 quid anyways, I'll tell them no, last thing I want is a lawyer's letter somewhere down the line!

As I see it you had permission to take the photos and use them as you saw fit - therefore you can sell them and pocket the cash. AFAIK it would be quite difficult for the building's owner to impose additional conditions on your use of the photos particularly since it is so long after they were taken, you would probably have to agree with them to make them binding.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:46 pm

See the nikon D90 is on the verge of release. Feckin dilema.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 am

You know you want to......

Live view, video.......

I have had the D80 for the past 2 years and love it.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Re:

Postby david11 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:59 am

The cameras such as Canon Ixus 80 (SD1100IS) and Sony W150 are good small cameras with good image quality. They don't have manual controls, however, and are best for shooting under non-challenging lighting conditions.
I own the Canon A720IS .. A more versatile camera, which has full manual controls and good picture quality, is the Canon A590IS. To read more reviews have a look at this
http://www.checkcost.co.uk/digital-cameras/c/4368/
david11
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby tobester » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:46 am

Had my eos400d since xmas and now its time to upgrade my lens...what one in peoples opinion is best to get?

I fancy this one http://www.jessops.com/Store/s29861/0/Lenses/Sigma/70-300mm-f-and-4-56-APO-Macro-DG-(Canon-AF)/details.aspx

All info/help greatly appreciated.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:07 pm

I've got the slighty cheaper version of that lens (£100). It's done me well, slow/not so great autofocus in bad lighting conditions but you get what you pay for. Some say they would never buy cheap lenses but what is the normal man supposed to do? We can't all afford to spend £1000 on a L lens.

I take pictures of people in the street, buildings, random things. I don't really need some special glass cut by the finest Elvish arse hair.

I wouldn't mind if someone could donate a nice 24-70mm L lens for daily use though :roll:
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:29 pm

tobester wrote:Had my eos400d since xmas and now its time to upgrade my lens...what one in peoples opinion is best to get?
Depends what you have already, and what you're interested in photographing.

I can't recommend the 50mm f/1.8 highly enough. Brilliant to learn with, and under a hundred quid.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:13 pm

potatojunkie wrote:
tobester wrote:Had my eos400d since xmas and now its time to upgrade my lens...what one in peoples opinion is best to get?
Depends what you have already, and what you're interested in photographing.

I can't recommend the 50mm f/1.8 highly enough. Brilliant to learn with, and under a hundred quid.

I have the standard 18-55 lens that came with it. I suppose im snapping the usual stuff, scenery, buildings etc, but feel its time for a better lens.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:27 pm

tobester wrote:I have the standard 18-55 lens that came with it. I suppose im snapping the usual stuff, scenery, buildings etc, but feel its time for a better lens.

If you're looking for a replacement for the kit lens, I'd suggest something like the Sigma 17—70mm f/2.8—4.5 DC Macro or the Tamron 18—200mm f/3.5—5.6. You'll want to stick with something fairly wide-angle for day-to-day stuff.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:58 pm

I droped my camera today and my LCD screens fucked. RIP :|
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby hazy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:31 am

Fossil wrote:I droped my camera today and my LCD screens fucked. RIP :|

Insurance scam if ever i read one. :? You could have made it more convincing than that old chestnut. How about this on your insurance form. I was taking photos when this car came straight at me and I had to dive for cover. Get some out of focus shots at a weird angle of a mates car. that sounds more plausable.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:01 pm

I was walking along the canal bank this morning when I found this ...

... in the grassy verge.

And it works too .. all I need is a usb cable to be able to charge the blighter. Anyone know where I can pick up such a beastie for a Kodak m753?
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment