Mould on the sensor

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Mould on the sensor

Postby Sharon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Not mine, but a friends cameras. Both of them! Costing £400 a pop to be remedied!

I had never heard of this horror before, but it turns out to be quite common on lenses and sensors when stored in dark places that are a bit on the humid side.

This is an awareness raising post to aid prevention of nasty suprises!

I guess handy tips on good practice for looking after and storing kit would be welcomed.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mould on the sensor

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:46 pm

£400 quid? Sheesh. I'm amazed it would cost that much for a sensor clean - or is the quote for a new sensor?

I guess storing in a dry place would be the thing. Feeling slightly paranoid now. (Actually, it has been said it's not bad practise to keep the bags of silica gel that come with electronic goodies and shoes and the like, keeping them in the same case or bag as any vulnerable gear.)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Sharon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:14 pm

Hmmm whether it was the part or a clean i am not sure. The outsize price also applies to a Hasselblad, but i gather its a pricey problem to contract regardless.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:41 pm

I fear it costs about that much to be in the same room as a Hasselblad, let alone do anything with it 8O
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Hasellblad is a whole different level of expense to the world I live in , but I would back-up LP's tip of keeping the wee bags of silica gel that come with lenses etc around your kit.

I have had them burst though over time. You should be really careful that the beads don't get anywhere where children or pets could ingest them.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bobzee » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:46 am

I bought a cheap EF lens from ebay with quite a bit of fungus.

All but one small patch disappeared after cleaning the elements with hydrogen peroxide + ammonia.

If left too long, the fungus eats away the lens coatings.

+1 for the silica gel.
bobzee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:32 am

bobzee wrote:All but one small patch disappeared after cleaning the elements with hydrogen peroxide + ammonia.

I wouldn't recommend using either of these, let alone mixing them, given the scope for producing oxides of nitrogen or hydrazine, all of which are toxic. Hydrogen peroxide can't be good for the rubber seals either...

I've had an EF lens in bits, cleaned the mould off with ordinary lens cleaner and put back together and it worked. It took all morning, but I've still got my lungs :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Equipment