micro four thirds

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

micro four thirds

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:38 pm

Hoping to get a new camera v. soon and am torn between a Nikon D90 traditional dslr and a Panasonic gh1, which is one of the new generation of micro fourthirds lightweights. Have any of you any experience of micro 4/3 and especially the image quality vs dslr in demanding situations (Scaryman?)? Any opinions gratefully received.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: micro four thirds

Postby Late to the Party » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Tough call. There are pros and cons to both systems. As far as image quality is concerned some of the micro 4/3 systems are apparently very good in good light. The quality in harder conditions, like low light is not going to be quite as good as a DSLR (yet - this will no doubt change). Noise at higher ISOs will be slightly more noticeable and focussing may take longer. The electronic viewfinders can also make framing in low light tricky as they struggle to make out the detail in real time.

The DSLR will generally outperform micro 4/3 systems in a lot of areas. The high ISO image quality will be better due to the larger sensor, focus speed and tracking will probably be better. You also have greater control of depth of field due to the larger sensor size and handling in general will be easier. More controls will be more readily accessible rather than having to access menus and at the end of the day the larger size will fit into your hand more naturally than the smaller 4/3 cameras.

On the other hand, one of the largest advantages of the 4/3 system is their smaller size: not everyone wants to carry the bulk of a DSLR. Not only is it easier to carry around the smaller sensor will make lenses cheaper if you are adding to your gear later. This, to my mind, is probably the only real advantage at the moment and frankly there are other micro 4/3 cameras that are more compact that the GH1 (which I believe has been replaced by the GH2 now anyway). The likes of the Sony system for example.

Best bet is to go into Jessops and hold a few in your hand and see how they feel. If size is a big consideration then it's definitely worth thinking about. I know one lass that has used a 4/3 system to take pictures used in several exhibitions with no problems so the quality must be ok. But if you're shooting low light a lot then it might not be worth the space savings.

Take a look at some of the DPreview.com reviews. I think they even have a side-by-side comparison thing where you can select different cameras to compare.
Late to the Party
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:37 pm

late!- thanks for the early reply.

I appreciate the points you make and - as you suggest - a bit of hands-on might assist. I'm swingin' towards the D90 at the moment, but...

Going back to read your post again. Thanks very much for your help.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi MOTI, I really couldn`t compare G1 to SLR cams as I went straight from point n shoot to 4/3rds, but can only say that I have had no problems with the G1 and so far the pics have been to my satisfaction.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks Scary...I'm very tempted by the Panasonics. I'll be going from a bridge camera (Fuji 9600 - now clicking with the choir invisible) to either dslr or micro 4/3 so either will be a big improvement.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby minxy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:19 pm

I've tried the panasonic , and to be honest, it's very srtange looking through and electronic viewfinder, rather than an optical one, what you see is an electronic version of the real thing, rather than just a mirror image of the real thing.
I much prefer a real optical veiwfinder...its real. The colours you see in an electronic view finder seem to have some kind of colour tint to them, I'd try an electronic one out , then an optical one out in the shop MacotheIsles, see what you think.
minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:06 pm

minxy wrote:I've tried the panasonic , and to be honest, it's very srtange looking through and electronic viewfinder, rather than an optical one, what you see is an electronic version of the real thing, rather than just a mirror image of the real thing.
I much prefer a real optical veiwfinder...its real. The colours you see in an electronic view finder seem to have some kind of colour tint to them, I'd try an electronic one out , then an optical one out in the shop MacotheIsles, see what you think.

minxette!

I'm dithering betwixt and between...I like the compactness of micro 4/3, but the dslr is tried, tested and proven technology, if a bit yesterday's man (dslr = Jason King). As you suggest I'll try out both beforehand.I do like what I've read about Panasonic's drive to push m4/3 technology... curved sensors, using red and blue photons to sharpen the green channel (it went a bit by my heid at this point) and - who knows - manipulating each pixel down to superstring level in 11 dimensions.

We shall see... but I do like the very, very new GH2
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm intrigued by the things myself, I must admit, but I'm not sure I could do without an optical viewfinder (though I gather the electronic ones have come a long way in the last few years).

I harbour thoughts of some ideal camera that doesn't exist: large sensor, permanently attached fixed focal length lens of about 30mm, optical viewfinder, possibly square format, metal body, not many controls or options. I wish it did exist, though it almost certainly never will; probably the closest I'll get is a digital rangefinder, but they cost an eye-watering amount...

The DSLR isn't going to go away any time soon, though, says me tempting fate. It's based on 50 year old principles, as regards the mirror and so on, but if it works it works.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby potatojunkie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:I harbour thoughts of some ideal camera that doesn't exist: large sensor, permanently attached fixed focal length lens of about 30mm, optical viewfinder, possibly square format, metal body, not many controls or options. I wish it did exist, though it almost certainly never will; probably the closest I'll get is a digital rangefinder, but they cost an eye-watering amount...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmadp1/

Smaller sensor, but I'm told the Foveon sensors produce unbelievably sharp images. Permanently attached 28mm lens, has a not-quite-optical-viewfinder hotshoe attachment, metal body, few controls.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Expired_Patent » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:00 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:The DSLR isn't going to go away any time soon, though, says me tempting fate. It's based on 50 year old principles, as regards the mirror and so on, but if it works it works.

Something there akin to the statements about 35mm film not so many years ago when I was enjoying using my nice Contax SLRs. ::):
Expired_Patent
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Late to the Party » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:57 pm

Was in Jessops yesterday and had a wee play with the panasonic system. Cracking! Would love one with the wee pancake lens for climbing with....

Dunno about the death of the SLR just yet, but SONY put out a nice new system the other day with a translucent mirror that doesn't need to flip up for each photo. Means that you get a frame rate of 10fps which is pretty impressive! Still a few downsides but it's a new technology and there's always a bit of a breaking in period. Could be interesting anyway.
Late to the Party
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:23 am

Lo and behold, here comes this wee charmer. Shame they'll be about a grand 8O

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091 ... lmx100.asp
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Nobby » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:55 pm

That is a braw looking camera LP. Just love its retro styling. Me wants one !
Nobby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:13 pm

So much choice and so little time. But I must say LP, that Fuji is the very epitome of the what a camera should be. As you all know, design went pear shaped after the 70s, so anything that instinctively looks like what a camera should look like (Olympus PEN take a bow also) is a surefire winner. That said, the only way I can be sure I'm getting the right system is to buy the lot, from Pentax to Pantax, so I'm cashing in my government bonds; liquidating my multinational interests and unlocking my Swiss boxes and heading down to CamerasRuZ tomorrow.,.

ps - just found my old Bierette KF from the late 60s in the attic. Bliss!
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Late to the Party » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:10 pm

Aye, that Fujifilm thing looks brilliant. Figure that while I'm busy not being able to afford it I might as well not be able to afford this too: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1010/10100 ... dition.asp
Late to the Party
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Equipment