Thornton Pickard

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Thornton Pickard

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Had to clear out the west turret and came across this old beauty, plus some glass plates. It's a Thornton Pickard and I'll wager it's worth at least a billion guineas, seventeen shillings and sixpence three farthings. Flash, bang wallop!

MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Thornton Pickard

Postby minxy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Cracker...but does it take pictures? :wink:
minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:41 am

minxy wrote:Cracker...but does it take pictures? :wink:

Now, thereby hangs a tale. It was my grandfather's camera and he used it to record scenes around towns in Ayrshire and Lanarkshire in the period 1910-1920. He had a large collection of images - I suppose on those 10 terapixel glass plates - but his parents threw the whole lot out when he left home to get married. What I have inherited though is a huge collection of ancient, celluloid, large format negatives going back to the 30s and 40s. Unfortunately they're mostly taken in London and are consequently of no interest to man or beast.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:00 pm

It's an absolute beauty, that. I wonder if the bellows is still lightproof (if that would be the word)? Gawd knows how you'd go about taking photos with it - I don't see too many packs of pre-prepared glass plates in Boots these days.

Your grandfather's parents should have had a stern talking to for throwing out all the old negatives :o
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:50 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:What I have inherited though is a huge collection of ancient, celluloid, large format negatives going back to the 30s and 40s. Unfortunately they're mostly taken in London and are consequently of no interest to man or beast.

Here, I know a bloke who might be interested in seeing those...
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Josef wrote:
Here, I know a bloke who might be interested in seeing those...

Negatives - thousands of 'em! Various old fashioned large format nitro-cellulose; devilishly combustible in the wrong hands. Many are family shots, but some show various bits and pieces of London and elsewhere (Ayrshire I think), but all date from the 30s. I'd be more than happy to have your gentleman look through them while they're still extant. Send him round with the equerry post haste, or let me know on here and we'll take it from there.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:It's an absolute beauty, that. I wonder if the bellows is still lightproof (if that would be the word)? Gawd knows how you'd go about taking photos with it - I don't see too many packs of pre-prepared glass plates in Boots these days.

Your grandfather's parents should have had a stern talking to for throwing out all the old negatives :o

It's a real Tommy Steele Flash, Bang, Wallop-esque period piece.A real b*g*r to fold back down though.Since opening it out I haven't been able to get it back in its box/casing again. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to make the pates at a pinch.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Equipment