plean street demolition

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: plean street demolition

Postby maximusmop » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:19 pm

cheers scott( joined hg a few year back and lost my password, so could not contribute when blocks in castlemilk,gorbalsx2, and the sighthill blocks got blowndown) aye the only demolition by explosives on the cards is the norfolk court block.

will speak to my source and gleen some info on plean street, cannie see why they cant take a gable end off the tower closest to the tennaments and then drop them by expolsives?!
maximusmop
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:55 pm

[quote="maximusmop"cannie see why they cant take a gable end off the tower closest to the tennaments and then drop them by expolsives?![/quote]

Hi - probably on safety grounds due to the close proximity of the tenements on Dumbarton Road/ Plean street and the housed on Lesmuir Drive that back onto the old railway line (bike track), being well within the exclusion zone.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maximusmop » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:57 pm

my source did say there was not enough hotels in glasgow to house the displaced people in the exclustion zone if dropped by explosives, so i guess one blowdown this year if that!
maximusmop
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby maximusmop » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:31 pm

went by the plean street flats yesterday, demolition has started on the block closest to the road.
maximusmop
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:13 pm

maximusmop wrote:went by the plean street flats yesterday, demolition has started on the block closest to the road.
I saw this aswell, looks like they're nibbling the blocks down.
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aye69 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:24 pm

hi been take some photos today and here the pics

did not know about being nibbling

got better view!
aye69
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:43 pm

Nice one Aye 69. Keep them coming :D
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:03 pm

Was past the surviving block at Plean Street tonight , and it was looking rather striking and flood-lit in it's partially demolished state.

Just begging for a night snap.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:52 am

Whilst I was out on my Past Present wander today, I visited the site of the Plean Street flats.

This was the location of Blawarthill farm, at the top of Grey Street (later Plean Street) the farm is also mentioned in my the newpaper report from my Battle of Yoker post

I had noticed this the other day when passing on the bus, it's a large spiral mound with a metal pole stuck at the top, there is also four small concrete structures (small mound close to the camera) which can only be described as an semi submerged concrete box with the lid off! I never made it to the top of the spiral as the buckfast crowd were settling in at the far side of it :(

Anyone know what it's meant to represent ??

CIMG0091 by Brian Kelly Mobile, on Flickr
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:38 am

The last photos taken from the top of the flats can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 993882184/
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:09 am

yb,i past it on the bus and i thought wtf is that all about.needs closer inspection.........mr stop? :roll:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:24 pm

I'll get down and have a goosey over the next day or two .. see what I can find.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:09 pm

theres a good boy.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:40 pm

As requested I visited this knollish monolith this morning by way of a small investigative looksee.

PleanSt_Pyramidsm by Ross Allan, on Flickr

Things are exactly as Brian has described with the pyramid itself being spiral in nature, around 40 feet tall with an approximate diameter of around 80-100 feet. At the apex is a stainless steel mast like structure complete with metal flag.

moundsm by Ross Allan, on Flickr

Surrounding the pyramid are four equidistant open faced concrete 'pillar-box' type structures.

pitsm by Ross Allan, on Flickr

pit2sm by Ross Allan, on Flickr

Climbing the spiral to see if there was some sort of plaque indicating function or relevance reveals there was at one point such signage, unfortunately long since prised out and purloined by the natives.

mastbasesm by Ross Allan, on Flickr

I'm also presuming however that it doesn't have many of the local wildlife climbing the entire walkway of the spiral with any level of frequency as it has an abundance of mushrooms of what I'm pretty sure are the magic variety sprouting here, there and everywhere.

P1130642 by Ross Allan, on Flickr

So, in the interests of research (and given the facts there were loads of locals at nearby bus stops at that time in the morning) I brassed my case and asked a few people if they knew anything about the construction. A few blank faces were encountered but two blokes gave me the s.p. that although they didn't know the exact function of the thing it had something to do with commissioning procedure at B.A.E. Systems which dies have a ring of truth about it as it is definitely built high enough to be viewed from the yard over the local tenements.

I decided to take a hoof along Dumbarton Road to the West Dunbartonshire Council offices to get any information they had on things. Unfortunately when I arrived and broached the question I was scunnered to find that the Plean Street flats site is covered by Glasgow City Council and they didn't have clue one.

However, my sister is a risk assessment engineer for BVT Fleet in BAE Govan and has a plethora of contacts in the Scotstoun facility and feelers are already out to glean the exact function. Watch this space.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Cheer's Doorstop,

I had asked a couple of dog walkers on the cycle path if they knew what it was meant to represent, and was met with blank expressions and a "eh? Naw a huvenae seen onything!..whit scuplture?"

I've done a quick google search and came up with little in the way of info although Banjo of the HG Parish posted this almost a year ago in the Ibroxholm Oval Demolition thread

banjo wrote:looks like the space left behind after the plean st pulldown could be turned into a grassy knowl with an anchor sculpture,who would have thought it.

EDIT>

City Council Planning Applications

Reference: 10/02745/DC Community Cnl: Yoker South
Address: 55 & 75 Plean Street Glasgow
Proposal: Formation of landscaped community space with installation of public art feature.
Date Received: 09.11.2010 Date Valid: 24.12.2010
Applicant
Details:
Glasgow Housing Association
Agent Details:
Curious Design And Architecture
Per Enda Williamson 64 Waterloo Street GLASGOW
Ward: Garscadden/Scotstounhill Representation Expiry Date: 09.02.2011
Type: Full Planning Permission Level: Local Development
Case Officer: Mr A Dale, 0141 287 6016
Listing: Cons Area:
Map Reference: (E) 252065 (N) 668158