Present Planning Permits in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Present Planning Permits in Glasgow

Postby omarc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:43 pm

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to access a website showing a plan of Glasgow with all present and future planning permits. Since in few weeks time I will start my graduate course in architecture I will need to suggest an architecture project to be carried out in Glasgow. Obviously, the project cannot be done on any site which has already a planning permit issued.

I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP!!! 10x
omarc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Present Planning Permits in Glasgow

Postby Josef » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:01 pm

Well, actually no, that's not obvious at all. Are you saying that as part of an architecture course students have to obtain real live planning permission for a site?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:55 pm

omarc wrote:Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to access a website showing a plan of Glasgow with all present and future planning permits. Since in few weeks time I will start my graduate course in architecture I will need to suggest an architecture project to be carried out in Glasgow. Obviously, the project cannot be done on any site which has already a planning permit issued.

I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP!!! 10x
If you just need to suggest a project then why do you need to check planning permits,the whole thing would be on paper only surely?
Elaborate for us
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby omarc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:55 pm

Maybe I did not explain myself well :P The project has to be on some derelict area/brownfield or even some unused building. Just to give you an example, I may try to write a proposal for the development of the parking area on the east of St Enoch Shopping Complex. Now, ideally the area I will be choosing has to be free of any planning permit or development proposals, ie., there must be not any proposals by developers or the Glasgow Council for that site. Otherwise, I can easily develop those proposals instead of searching the ideal use for that plot!!!

This is the reason why I would like to know if there exists any website portal showing all the current planning permits or future developments in Glasgow. Just to avoid to see my proposal being refused only because there is already a real development on that site.

Hope I have been clear enough :)
omarc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:47 pm

omarc wrote:This is the reason why I would like to know if there exists any website portal showing all the current planning permits or future developments in Glasgow. Just to avoid to see my proposal being refused only because there is already a real development on that site.

Try This Site for local developments in the Glasgow area.

If that is not adequate then the Weekly planning applications around the city may give you some ideas as to what planning aps are going in.

Hope this helps. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby omarc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Mori I really appreciate your help. What I am actually searching for is an interactive plan of Glasgow from which I can retrieve information on the type of development being carried out in that area. Unfortunately, I am losing my hopes I will find something like that!!
omarc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:31 pm

:)
This Map is a bit dated,

maybe help. ?
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby omarc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:40 pm

Yes Mori this plan really helps thanks. Maybe it is a good idea to contact the Planning Authority in Glasgow. By the way are there any plan/maps showing the building height limitations for Central Glasgow?
omarc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:39 pm

Wiki has a List that may give you an idea of hieght restriction... other than that the GCC planning section is worth a search.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:04 am

omarc wrote:Yes Mori this plan really helps thanks. Maybe it is a good idea to contact the Planning Authority in Glasgow. By the way are there any plan/maps showing the building height limitations for Central Glasgow?

omarc - what school are you studying at? I assume you have transferred from another school into Glasgow for your masters etc?

Is this a self-imposed limitation of not using a site with existing planning approval? if so, you will probably find most sites in Glasgow have some sort of permission attached to them.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby omarc » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:33 pm

I would like to avoid areas with proposals already attached to them. It can be limiting in some way.
omarc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:25 am

how?
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby omarc » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:37 pm

In the sense that if a devleoper has acquired a particular site and applied for 5 restaruants, 50 offices, 100 flatted dwelling etc, it can become quite difficult to propose different land uses.

So, anyone has any suggestions for developing something interesting on some derelict site in central Glasgow?
omarc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:22 pm

Sorry omarc, but I am completely failing to see any logic in your argument.

Whoever you are presenting your work to at university probably won't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of brownfield sites in Glasgow, therefor will not know that AN Other developer has proposed a hotel and offices on your site.

How does what someone else has proposed affect how you might respond to a site? If you don't find this mythical list of planning applications, you won't know, therefore it shouldn't become any more dificult for you to proposed uses for the site.

i am struggling to see what the issue is here. Do you think your project must be completely viable and possibly built in future?

A good site to investigate regardless is up at Strathclyde uni halls of residence, where there is a large staircase running down parallel with High Street. There is a large level change, remnants of an old stone abutment and all the history of High Street to tap into. Not the largest site but then again it doesn't need to be. How about proposing a design for the new school of art building that was publicised recently? What about the retained facade site down james watt street on the way to the river? How about the site at the corner of Argyle street and Oswald Street?
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:34 pm

Bingo Bango wrote: ..........How about the site at the corner of Argyle street and Oswald Street?

Permission has been granted (some time ago) to Buccleuch Properties for this site.

Like others, I don't understand why an existing planning consent should make a site unsuitable for what is no more than an academic exercise.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development