Petershill Drive Demolition

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Petershill Drive Demolition

Postby maximusmop » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:39 am

was up looking at the condemed red road block up close yesterday and it still looks intact, windows are still in and the mains are still connected, so dont know whats happening does anyone!
maximusmop
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:13 pm

Still condemned.

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kttylr » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 am

Hello everyone,

I am a fourth year Architecture student currently doing my architectural dissertation on the topic of the Red Road flats.
I find the hidden Glasgow and Skyscraper city forums facinating, I love reading what all you guys have to say about Red Road and post-war high-rise Glasgow.

I have set up a website http://www.redroad.tumblr.com which leads to a questionaire on these subjects. If anyone reading this has a moment to spare and would be interested in sharing their views I would greatly appreciate it :)
kttylr
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby rabmania » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:55 pm

kttylr wrote:Hello everyone,

I am a fourth year Architecture student currently doing my architectural dissertation on the topic of the Red Road flats.
I find the hidden Glasgow and Skyscraper city forums facinating, I love reading what all you guys have to say about Red Road and post-war high-rise Glasgow.

I have set up a website http://www.redroad.tumblr.com which leads to a questionaire on these subjects. If anyone reading this has a moment to spare and would be interested in sharing their views I would greatly appreciate it :)

Done.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kttylr » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Thankyooou!! I got your answers - they were exactly what I was looking for! :)
kttylr
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Celyn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Done. And I wish you good luck with your studies. :)
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:28 pm

One more completed - good luck :)
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kttylr » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:03 am

Everyone, thanks SO much for taking the time to fill that out for me! :)
kttylr
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby maximusmop » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 pm

hope the info helps!
maximusmop
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:18 am

another one filled in for you
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnboy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:43 am

Another one done.
johnboy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:35 pm

done
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MarkT-2010 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:38 am

Glasgow's Red Road flats to be demolished in double 'blowdown'
Published by Jon Land for 24dash.com in Housing
Friday 23rd April 2010 - 2:26pm

Two blocks of flats at Red Road in Glasgow now look likely to be demolished next year in a double ‘blowdown’.

Glasgow Housing Association (GHA) plans to bring down the two blocks on the site at the same time to minimise disruption to the local community.

Proposals had been in place for 153-213 Petershill Drive to come down this summer, with 10-30 Petershill Court scheduled to be demolished in 2011.

However contractor Safedem Ltd, which had the demolition contract for the first block, recently won the contract to carry out demolition work on the second block – resulting in plans to bring down the two simultaneously.

Local residents would have faced two sets of road and rail closures, as well as evacuations from their homes, if the demolitions had taken part separately.

Jim Sneddon, GHA’s Executive Director of Regeneration, said: “We are always very mindful about the disruption a demolition causes to the wider community.

"When we appointed Safedem as the contractor for the second block at Red Road we felt it made sense to now consider doing the two blocks at once.

“The demolition of the Red Road blocks is an important part of plans to create new, popular and sustainable communities which have already seen more than 250 new homes built nearby.”

Safedem's Managing Director William Sinclair said: “We have been working with GHA and the local community for just over a year now and have carried out continual reviews to minimise the impact of our operations upon local residents and businesses.

“Now that we are involved with the demolition of this next building, it didn't make sense to go ahead and demolish the first building then, a few months later, demolish the next building.

“It does, however, make sense to have one blowdown demolition operation bringing both buildings down at the same time to minimise the impact on the community.

“It means there will be less upheaval having only one evacuation for local residents and businesses instead of two.”

Safedem's Community Liaison Team is opening a new Demolition Information Centre next month for residents to get up-to-date information and discuss the plans.

Preparation work for the demolition is now under way with ongoing consultation between all parties including GHA, Safedem and Red Road Balornock Local Housing Organisation (LHO) which manages homes in the area on behalf of GHA.

A boundary fence was already in place for the demolition of 153-213 Petershill Drive, but this will now be extended to take in the site at 10-30 Petershill Court.

The footpath and stair access that currently run along the south and east sides of Petershill Court will be closed. Parking restrictions will also be in place at the shops to the west of Petershill Court.

The flats at Red Road in the north of the city have been one of the best known landmarks in the city for nearly half a century. The eight blocks were built between 1964 and 1969 and stretch up to 30 storeys high.

Designed by architect Sam Bunton and built on a former cabbage patch, they were hailed as the tallest residential buildings in Europe.

A decision to demolish the flats at Red Road was taken by GHA in 2005 following a decline in demand and popularity of the blocks as well as high investment and running costs. The entire demolition and site clearance should be completed by 2016.
MarkT-2010
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby maximusmop » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:15 pm

just read it in the paper toady, blowdown, RESULT, gona go up soon and start trying to find a sweet spot for pictures!
maximusmop
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:55 pm

Double bubble! :D
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development