The Garngad

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Garngad

Postby fatweegee » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Was it The Garngad where the 'famous' tribute to Celtic players was marked out by the cobbles in the street?
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Famous enough that (as a football fan for many years) I've never heard of it.

Specifically?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Do you mean the Camlachie cobbles?

Here is a link to the Glesgapals site about them....

http://www.glescapals.com/ml-camlachiecobbles.htm
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jock78 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:28 pm

No-one has yet pointed Garngad was renamed 'Royston' in, I think, 1947 presumably to improve its image, although to my mind, it was a regular working class area with decent enough folk on the whole.

I lived in a house on the Monkland Canal on the south side of it facing Garngad. We regularly had wee lads throwing stones to break our windows from the Garngad side in the sure knowledge that they would not be caught! Just what kids would do. I unfortunately had the sad experience of watching a wee lad drown on the other side of the canal, I was just about 9 and felt totally helpless to do anything about it.Drownings were common particularly during the was so en Parsonage of the Humaine Society was a regular visitor and I can recall coming home from primary school to find a drowned woman laid out across the side of our house.

In full view from our house, at the top of the hill opposite was an old tenement locally known as 'The madhouse'- I do not know how it earned the name.

John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:21 pm

Worked in the Caley in late 50s. Took the bus along Royston Road and walked up a hill past the steamie
to get into the works. There was an ash football pitch which I recall playing footie on. There were
multi story flats being constructed. In the winter the fog was pretty bad!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jock78 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi Moonbeam,
I set-out a new traverser across the east end of the works in I think, the early 60s.
It was a difficult job as all the tracks were in use or stacked up with carriages and the ground was saturated with sulfuric acid from the battery shed.

I recall that much of the plant in the works dated from the mid 19C, belt driven and would have given any health and safety official a heart attack- however that was the norm in those days.
John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Guacho » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:26 pm

jock78 wrote:No-one has yet pointed Garngad was renamed 'Royston' in, I think, 1947 presumably to improve its image, although to my mind, it was a regular working class area with decent enough folk on the whole.

In full view from our house, at the top of the hill opposite was an old tenement locally known as 'The madhouse'- I do not know how it earned the name.

John

Name changed to Royston in 1940, against the wishes of many of those who lived there.
The 'madhouse' was St Joseph's Home, which was first a nunnery, then a private psychiatric hospital and finally an old folks home.
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jock78 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi Moonbeam again,
It just occurred to me that you may have been referring to st Rollox Motive Power Depot when you worked at the 'Caley' as this was also known locally as that also. My family had a long history of working with the Caledonian Railway then later LMS and BR.
My brother was a fitter there and my dad a driver. James (Tony) and Hugh Minelly. I was a civil engineer with BR.

In their Caledonian Railway society web site i found the names of my grandfather, uncle and father listed as, driver, fireman and fire drawer respectively in the pre-grouping employee list.

In the 1911 census, I found them all living at 1 Blackhill Locks on the Monkland canal which was 'caly' property then.

There were a number of railway families living in houses along the canal such names such as, Bird, Minelly, Lennon, Boyd that I can remember

John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Hi Jock. Was that at the carriage shop? I recall the foreman Charlie Fletcher. They refurbished a set amount a week and quite often the quota was done by Friday first thing! I don't know if you were ever in the stores place. It was at the east and was an amazing aladins cave. They had different packs of playing cards! Soap, Light bulbs,Wire ropes. All sorts of oil lamps! Sad person that I am I can still recall the numbering system. Mainly I suspect cause the boss sent me for files, metal drills, metal hack saw blades, sacks etc. I recall getting some headed paper foolscap books for night school free. They were all headed LMS but we had been BR for years! In last couple of years I worked in a small unit that made steam engine firebox "fuze" plugs and small castings for steam pipes etc non ferrous foundry area until I left in early 1963. NB diesels were starting to come in for repair. I recall we had to get "123" ready for some sort of steam excursion. We redid all the glands-repacked and sealed-bearings. Just about every steam connection was unbolted packed with "Stag " jointing compound and resealed. The thing was painted and greased to the "nth" degree! Then there was a problem re the coal. Seems the wrong "grade" had been loaded! That place was a world on its own, The football matches between the different departments and the arguments re "ringers" being brought in or "subs" frae the paint shop! or fitters etc! A thought. Are there any lunch time football kick a bouts in any works now?
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jock78 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi Moonbeam,
The traverser was about 65ft long and ran across all the tracks at the west end of the shed. it had about 8 tracks set in a trough about 2 feet deep and could move carriages between the lines without the need for shunting them . I thing they may have been moved by fairleads rather than engines in steam. My brother worked at the workshops also from time to time so you may have known him.

I also worked at the remodelling of sighthill goods depot and used to lunch at the caley canteen. Our clerk of works was very outspoken there about 'folk 'blauwing their tobacco reek in air that other bodies hae to breath'! I bet there are folks who remember still him after all this time but he was ahead of his time!

Best regards, John ( [email protected])
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi Jock. Yes I knew that "thing" at the end of the carriage shops. It worked by haulage cables if I recall.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Development