BAE Systems Demolition in Yoker

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: BAE Systems Demolition in Yoker

Postby MotoMad » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:29 am

GCC and the GHA have NO accommodation kicking about to put folk into at the moment so don't expect anything coming down soon!
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nonniesmummy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:41 am

MotoMad wrote:GCC and the GHA have NO accommodation kicking about to put folk into at the moment so don't expect anything coming down soon!
You are right about GCC and GHA and their housing stock this is a direct result of them rehousing people from the high rise flats to be demolished.
Also because I am an owner occupier I will always be right at the bottom of their list as I am not counted as a priority and if I sell my house they will not house me as it is looked upon as me voluntarily making myself and my daughter homeless.
I guess thats what I get for working since the day I left school and trying to make a life for myself and now also trying to make a better life for my daughter ::):
nonniesmummy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Reenie Bujman wrote:
yoker brian wrote:Also I heard that the Plean Street flats are due for demolition, no fixed date yet though.

I was looking at them yesterday and it's difficult to tell if they're in the early stages of refurbishment or just falling apart.

The flats mostly have steel curtains now. They are slated for demolition.

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:34 pm

That's a nice snap there, VT.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:54 am

[quote="Dexter St. Clair"][quote]I stayed fifteen up in one of the Lincoln Avenue blocks for two and a half years.
they charge an extorionate level of rent .
I bought my present flat which is about three times the size and i still pay about £100 less with my mortgage than i ever did with rent.[/quote]

Thatcherism in a nutshell. Force the rents up and force people to take out mortgages and we get an economy based on purchasing property.[/quote]
I fail to understand this mindset, Dexter. Social housing & responsibility for local government to provide such was set up to help those who could not afford to buy, no ?
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:05 am

elgee wrote:I fail to understand this mindset, Dexter. Social housing & responsibility for local government to provide such was set up to help those who could not afford to buy, no ?

No. It was to provide affordable (and suitable) housing. Thus Dex's point.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:01 pm

I fail to understand this mindset, Dexter. Social housing & responsibility for local government to provide such was set up to help those who could not afford to buy, no ?

Away and read a book on private landlords in Glasgow , visit the People's Palace and talk to someone who lived in a tenement and moved to a housing scheme. You've got more knowledge on using the Quote feature on here than what you know about the history of housing in Scotland.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:16 pm

How's it going, Elgee, long time no see. :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BenCooper » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:51 am

I was told that the BVT buildings were being demolished to make space for building the new aircraft carrier sections - is that not right? The site is right next to the working shipyard - I can't see it being a brilliant site for housing.

I took some pictures before the buildings were all gone - they really were huge.
www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby andyquid » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:59 am

No the BVT plan to use the space to provide car parking for their staff.
This is aimed at reducing the levels of traffic parked on South Street.
In my opinion it would be ideal for additional housing to create a similar theme to that of Glasgow Harbour and the shipyards. There is a housing estate (Bulldale Street) next to the site at present so i dont believe planning would be an issue!

I also understand that this area could be in line for the future North Clyde Development Route, at present the council do not have any funding for this project.
andyquid
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Glasgow Development