Sighthill - Fountainwell Place Demolition

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Sighthill - Fountainwell Place Demolition

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:22 am

Reenie lives in glasgow and takes photographs which she shares with other Glaswegians. There will be lots of photographers some of whom will be paid others who will be doing it for fun, personal reasons or recording certain aspects of a shared history. She's photographing buildings. You've had plenty of opportunity to have a go at the other demolitions HG members have covered but for some reason you've waited for a English born woman to appear before commenting.

From whichever far flung part of the suburbs of Glasgow you belong to (probably a postcode above G52) we look forward to a positive contribution from yourself. In return we offer beads, mirrors and free lessons in how to use emoticons.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:36 am

G74 isn't exactly Glasgow but the rest of your point is well made.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cowlairs road » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:49 am

fountainwell was erected in 1964, 44years ago, on the site of the old pinkston power works,the stink you smell as you pass by came from the chemical works that occupied the site in the 18 hundreds early 20th century, when then they buried the chemicals in the ground, reenie your picters are great,keep up the good work.
cowlairs road
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Celyn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:40 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Reenie lives in glasgow and takes photographs which she shares with other Glaswegians. There will be lots of photographers some of whom will be paid others who will be doing it for fun, personal reasons or recording certain aspects of a shared history. She's photographing buildings. You've had plenty of opportunity to have a go at the other demolitions HG members have covered but for some reason you've waited for a English born woman to appear before commenting.

From whichever far flung part of the suburbs of Glasgow you belong to (probably a postcode above G52) we look forward to a positive contribution from yourself. In return we offer beads, mirrors and free lessons in how to use emoticons.

Ahem, no, "waited for a English born woman"? I did not know that the member Reenie was a woman, man, English born or otherwise, or perhaps a yellow frog from the planet Zog, or a particularly gifted pretty little kitten with keyboard skills, this happy ignorance being the nature of the internet. I am sorry, Reenie: the kind of thing that Dexter St. Clair seems to perceive here was NOT any of my intention.

You've had plenty of opportunity to have a go at the other demolitions HG members have covered but for some reason you've waited for a English born woman to appear before commenting.

No, I happened to comment upon this one because it has of some local relevance and interest to me. That is why, I have NO idea of the nationality of anybody or whoever, but obviously you do, Dexter St. Clair, and it seems to matter to you.

And just what, please, is "a postcode above G52"?

... In return we offer beads, mirrors and free lessons in how to use emoticons.

How kind. I tend to dislike mirrors because they alway seem to show me only an ugly person in them, and I am not keen on "emoticons" either. However, if you must insist on lessons in the use of emoticons, do please allow me to return the favour by offering lessons in the use of punctuation.

<Wandering off to find a street atlas so as to understand this G52 reference>
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:19 am

Celyn wrote: .................
<Wandering off to find a street atlas so as to understand this G52 reference>

Happy Birthday :wink:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:30 am

Save you looking >>here<< is an article in Wikipedia. I'm now thinking G58 would be technically more accurate, however, G52 is fine with me
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby alzaman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Reenie Bujman wrote:While I was taking photographs in Cowlairs Park, I met a chap who was walking his dog. He was about sixty, I guess, and had been to the school there that is being dismantled. He told me about the abattoir that used to be on the Pinkston site and also the "Stinky Ocean" of legend that he and his mates used to play in when they were kids.

Yeah that's correct Reenie. Not sure about the abbatoir because it was before my time. The stinky ocean borders Pinkston Road from Baird St, to North Canal Bank St, known locally as "The Cuddies" and the noxious fumes can still be whiffed regularly. It used to be a chemical factory and there is sulphurous waste buried there, as far as i've been told when i lived there.

I've always said if i was kidnapped, and blindfolded, i'd know instantly if i was in Sighthill :)

dave3009 wrote:Save you looking >>here<< is an article in Wikipedia. I'm now thinking G58 would be technically more accurate, however, G52 is fine with me

Sorry to spoil the party, but G58 is in use, well partly. It's the postcode for the National Savings Bank (NSB), or what remains of it, over in Cowglen .. G58 NSB .. as far as i remember.

Postcodes above G1-53 are defined by Royal Mail as Subs, or subsidiaries, i only work for them, i don't know the technicalities!
Also, remember the postcodes were in place long before the council chopped n' changed their boundaries and made new names for their regions.

Apologies for deviating off topic slighty ::):
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:06 pm

the council chopped n' changed their boundaries

The boundaries were changed by the Conservative Government to reduce Glasgow's tax take. Funnily enough they did not hand Nitshill to Renfrewshire , nor Castlemilk to South Lanarkshire , Easterhouse to North and Drumchapel to West Dunbarton. At a stroke all Glaswegians would have had a reduced Council tax.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BitterBlue » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:14 am

Hey everybody,
I know that 2-4 and 16-18 are the towers that will be demolished, but does any one know exactly which other ones in the estate have already been vacated and scheduled for later demolition?
On another kinda-related note: Do any of you live in the surviving towers? We will be shooting a short film in the area later on in the summer, and we were hoping for some friendly neighborhood help... More precisely: could we use your loo during the shoot? ::):
Please send me a private message with your contact details if you would like to help out.
BitterBlue
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby alzaman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:20 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
the council chopped n' changed their boundaries

The boundaries were changed by the Conservative Government to reduce Glasgow's tax take. Funnily enough they did not hand Nitshill to Renfrewshire , nor Castlemilk to South Lanarkshire , Easterhouse to North and Drumchapel to West Dunbarton. At a stroke all Glaswegians would have had a reduced Council tax.

Perhaps if you used the context of the post i made, rather than just paraphrasing a selective quote to be pedantic about, then you would perhaps see that i wasn't making any political or bureaucratic statement.

It was a glancing reference, and it was merely relating to a POSTCODE. :roll:
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scottwramsay » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:36 pm

Jeez Louise, the demolition hasn't even happened yet and already we've got a page of people narking at each other! Can't we all just stop trying to out-articulate each other, have a drink and be merry? ::):

This here's a family place!
http://www.flickr.com/scottwramsay/
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:06 pm

scottwramsay wrote:This here's a family place!

Aye, here's the family

Uncle Charlie's at the back.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottwramsay » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:08 pm

*scratches head*
http://www.flickr.com/scottwramsay/
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:34 pm

All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lone Groover » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:07 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
scottwramsay wrote:This here's a family place!

Aye, here's the family

Uncle Charlie's at the back.

Tea duly spilt ! :mrgreen:
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development