Pollok Park site for "Go Ape" centre.... just say NO!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Pollok Park site for "Go Ape" centre.... just say NO!!

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:28 pm

fourbytwo wrote:8O just another case of the Council selling off the family silver, in order to support their 'gross' fiddling of the public purse when spending 'our money' on consultations and plans 'contrary to the Glasgow good'
As we all pay the wages of these 'council officials' is it not about time we grabbed them by the short and curlies, and demanded that their priorities are to the people of Glasgow, and not the privateers who offer them 'backhanders'.

I suppose you have evidence to support that allegation (?)
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:26 am

The thing is they don't need back handers to come up with ideas like this.

Way back in the Thatcher era the old Parks and Rec were considered for market testing and privatisation under Compulsory competitive testing,. By altering conditions of service and coming up with generating income they kept the service in house. Since then its successor departments still got this thing about generating income. i.e. charging extra for council services which should be funded thru taxation.

If you get a hold of the council's budget proposals which are circulated every year you can still see some desperate ideas. A few years ago when Charlie Gordon was in charge he turned up at a community group meeting with them. One member of the audience pointed out to Charlie that under income generation one dept dept was proposing charging other departments for the use of its services and that this was considered a saving to the council. Charlie was asked to explain. I do believe the director received a call the following day.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:00 pm

Another meeting By planning dept on Tuesday 25 March, 2008 11:00.

REPRESENTATIONS/ CONSULTATIONS
A total of 1048 letters of representations have been received of which 881 are objections, including a petition of
objection from St Ninian’s High School with 257 signatories and a petition with 24 signatories, objection from
Pollokshaws and Eastwood Community Council, Shawlands and Strathbungo Community Council, Pollokshields
Community Council, Kinning Park Community Council, Pollok Community Council, the National Trust for
Scotland, Pollok & Corrour Ltd, Nicola Sturgeon MSP, Bill Aitken MSP, Councillor Khalil Malik. Nineteen of the
submissions do not express either support or objection, including a submission from solicitors acting on behalf
of Sir William Burrell’s Trust. The remaining 148 submissions are in support of the proposals, including a
submission from Mohammad Sarwar MP. The basis of objection are summarised as follows.
Continues... (Item 1/17 pages)
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Just heard on Clyde 'snooze' that the cooncil has given it the go-ahead. No surprise there really! Nothing up on any websites yet.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:06 pm

http://eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display. ... 93.0.0.php

CONTROVERSIAL plans to build a treetop adventure course in Pollok Park were given the go-ahead today - despite almost 900 objections.

but

The planning application will now be referred to Scottish ministers because of the level of objection and because the council will receive money from the scheme.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby My Kitten » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Well I certainly now know who doesn't represent his voters views. So 881 people who can actually be bothered to object count for nothing, FIVE community councils objecting count for nothing as well as the National Trust for Scotland objecting all count for nothing. A disgrace. I wont be putting my vote for any one of the representatives for my area, they were shameful at the meeting and have done nothing to represent the views of the area.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:06 pm

This decision can still be overturned as it has to go to Holyrood as the council are beneficiaries from the development. So its now time to lobby your SNP MSPs to get this thrown out.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:32 pm

Elsewhere, Alex Glass wrote:As a member of the Planning Committee it is difficult for me to become involved in discussion about an application prior to it going before the committee.

I am not trying to avoid the question and would be happy to discuss it following the application being considered by the Committee. I am happy to listen to other peoples opinion but it would be inappropriate for me to come to a conclusion before it is assessed at the committee.

I hope you appreciate my situation and would be happy to hear any views on this subject but will be making no further comment at this time.

Alex, as a member of the Planning Committee, do you now wish to make any further comment on this issue?
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:14 pm

Members who opposed the development

"To correct the misrepresentations posted above the coucillors who voted against the application were:
Margo Clark; Craig MacKay; James McNally; David Meikie; George Roberts; Kieren Wild"

Margo Clark - lib Dem Linn
Craig Mackay - SNP Anderston/City
James McNally -Labour - Newlands/Auldburn
David Meikle - Conservative - Pollokshaws
George Roberts - SNP HIllhead
Kieren WIld -Green - Canal Ward

Members:-

Planning Applications Committee

George Redmond Convener
Jonathan Findlay Vice Convener
Shaukat Butt member
Elizabeth Cameron member
Margot Clark member
Frank Docherty member
Iris Gibson member
Alex Glass member
Jahangir Hanif member
Craig Mackay member
Jean McFadden member
John McLaughlin member
Catherine McMaster member
James McNally member
David Meikle member
William O'Rourke member
George Roberts member
Paul Rooney member
George Ryan member
Kieran Wild member
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:44 pm

AlanM wrote:This decision can still be overturned as it has to go to Holyrood as the council are beneficiaries from the development. So its now time to lobby your SNP MSPs to get this thrown out.

Ministers will only be considering it from a planning point of view, though they could still overturn it. The best outcome would be for the decision to be subject to a call in and then every aspect of the entire process will be looked at (including the fact that it it totally against the conditions that were attached to the gift in the first place).

Patrick Harvie is asking for a call in and many of us are contacting our own constituency MSPs plus the Glasgow list MSPs asking for the same thing.
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:19 am

Dear Councillor Deans,

As a local resident and one who voted for you in the last election I was dismayed to read these comments attributed to you in the G41 community website’s report of the Planning Meeting on 25th March concerning Go Ape.

“Clr Colin Deans of Newlands/Auldburn ward then spoke in favour of the proposed development.
He said he had been shocked by the sound and fury the proposal had caused. He said that the objectors did not comprise a homogeneous opposition to the development.
He stated that some objectors had said that if the development was controlled by the council and free to use they would support it. Objectors from Kings Park wanted the development in their local park, he claimed.
He stated that the majority of objectors represented dog walkers, and said: “I was met by one protester this morning. She had two dogs and was demanding protection for the squirrels. She didn't seem to realise that her dogs might be a threat to the squirrels.”
He said that many objectors wanted to protect peace and quiet. “If I want peace and quiet,” he continued, “I go to the cemetery or the library.” He said that he was happy when he heard kids laughing.
He went on to say that he was shocked at the criticisms of the management team of the park which had won Best Park in Britain and Best European Park awards. He said that objectors were betraying a
lack of trust in the management team.
He continued that there had been objectors to the play area two and a half years ago; that there had been more than 100 objectors to the development of a mountain bike path and that over 1000 had objected to the building of the Burrell gallery 20 years ago.
“We are dealing with people who would oppose anything,” he concluded.”

I live in a tower block, therefore I am not a dog walker, one of the twelve (I believe) tower blocks in the area, local people who also do not have dogs that use the park. A large majority of the electorate who presumably assisted in voting for you. Whether they are dog walkers or not, every person within the community has a right to have their voice heard.

I would also believe that Pollok Park won the Best Park in Britain and Europe awards due to the link between the park and the local community as well as being a green treasure in this urban sprawl. I feel any criticism of the Park management is directed at the mandarins above and not those who provide the day to day management of the park.

From Glasgow City Council website entry for Pollok Park
“This award recognises the park as integral to community life. More than 200 free events and activities are organised within the park annually. For example Pollok Family Day generates 60,000 visitors. There are also regular attractions of free guided tours and healthy walks, a modern £250 000 children's play area, concerts, orchestral evenings and open-air play. In addition, cycle and mountain bike trails, a zip slide and dray rides as well as a stunning stately home make it a great place to visit. “

I think the word also here is FREE. Activities that does not contribute to social exclusion. I don’t know many people who can afford £20 to partake in some park activities, whether they are young or old. I’m sure many of my fellow Pollokshaws residents will also be able to afford the fees applicable for the use of this site!

Pollok Park aides in the mental health of our city in being somewhere peaceful to bind with nature and hear nature at its best. Indeed cemetaries and libraries are also peaceful places to visit – I frequent them often myself, although it is hard to hear the trickle of the cart within the mitchell library!

As for people who would object to anything, I would hardly say that of myself. I think more like tryiing to let the city custodians realise what a mistake they are doing in selling off the family jewels too quickly.

Yours sincerely

Nothing sold. I live in 5 birness and took part with many others in the original, well publicised consultation. there has been too much hysterical misinformation put about and by some of the same folk who have opposed everything in sight - you may not be one of these granted but as to dog walkers that comees from the many letters and emails sent to me which started with" I walk my dog(s) in pollok. In five years time we will all wonder what the fuss was about. As to cost well to ride horse in the parl costs over 18 pounds and to play round of golf in any of the three clubs costs more and tickts to football these days cost more and I never cease to be amazed that people roll up dead leaves, stick them in their mouths and set fire to them and will spend 35 pounds a week doing so!

er?
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:32 pm

My Kitten wrote:
Dear Councillor Deans,

As a local resident and one who voted for you in the last election I was dismayed to read these comments attributed to you in the G41 community website’s report of the Planning Meeting on 25th March concerning Go Ape..................
.....................................Yours sincerely

Nothing sold. I live in 5 birness and took part with many others in the original, well publicised consultation. there has been too much hysterical misinformation put about and by some of the same folk who have opposed everything in sight - you may not be one of these granted but as to dog walkers that comees from the many letters and emails sent to me which started with" I walk my dog(s) in pollok. In five years time we will all wonder what the fuss was about. As to cost well to ride horse in the parl costs over 18 pounds and to play round of golf in any of the three clubs costs more and tickts to football these days cost more and I never cease to be amazed that people roll up dead leaves, stick them in their mouths and set fire to them and will spend 35 pounds a week doing so!

er?

HAHAHA ::): cracker MK.
Its like a bad spam letter.

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Mori » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Councillor Deans wrote:

I never cease to be amazed that people roll up dead leaves, stick them in their mouths and set fire to them and will spend 35 pounds a week doing so!

er?

They spend mair than that deansy.
Image Image Image
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Dear* Green Place;

*adjective
(1) High-priced, expensive: It is becoming very dear to go to Pollok Park
(2) Charging high prices: It is too dear for the average Glaswegian to go to Go-Ape

adverb
(1) At a high price: It will cost you dear to go to Go-Ape

After 30 years I had kinda came to expect to be let down by the council/government but this time I actually thought they might see sense. How naive can I be?

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:52 pm

Nice one Fossil and PK!
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development