here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Re: Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:32 pm

Scotland’s National Stadium, Hampden Park
- Track and field

Located in the Southern Venue Cluster, Hampden Park will play host to track and field events during the Games. Hampden will also host our closing ceremony.

The famous ‘Hampden Roar’ has inspired generations of the world’s best footballers to achieve great things. In 2014 it will be the cream of the world’s athletes who will be inspired by the passion of a Scottish crowd.

These plans have already been approved by the International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAAF), and we are sure they will meet with the approval of the athletes, the 46,000 spectators and the millions of fans watching around the world.

Glasgow2014 spectacular. It will be exhilarating. It will be an experience that will never be forgotten.

crusty_bint
-
-

Celtic Park
- Opening ceremony

Located in the Eastern Venue Cluster, Celtic Park will host the opening ceremony of the Games.

The home of Glasgow Celtic Football Club, this is a stadium with one of the most lauded and celebrated atmospheres of any football arena in the world. This amazing atmosphere is not just due to capacity; the impressive stands literally tower above the pitch, generating a ‘wall of sound’ that brings the hairs on the back of the neck to attention.

The opening ceremony will be a magnificent celebration in a spectacular arena. With the permission of the Commonwealth Games Federation, we want to break with tradition and bring the athletes, the stars of the show, into the arena at the start of proceedings. Situated within walking distance of the Athletes’ Village, they will be able to easily walk, to and from the opening ceremony.

© seorise

© zhlyong

© airth_man

© ba’s on the slates
crusty_bint
-
-

Ibrox Stadium
- Rugby 7s

Located in the Southern Venue Cluster, Ibrox Stadium will host the rugby 7s competition during the Games.

One of the most famous sporting arenas in the world - Ibrox Stadium, the home of Glasgow Rangers Football Club will generate an incredible atmosphere for both players and fans during the Rugby 7s tournament. Ibrox is one of a select few stadia in Europe that has been afforded 5 Star Status by UEFA (Hampden also has this accolade) and regularly plays host to the biggest names in world football.

The transformation for the Games will be stunning and effective. By removing the nets and changing the football goals for rugby, Ibrox will be easily converted to accommodate one of the largest spectator sports of the Games. 50,000 people will cheer on world class teams such as Tonga, New Zealand and Australia at Ibrox during Glasgow 2014.

© poity_uk

© sarflondondunc

© poity_uk

© freefall
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:33 pm

The Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC)
- Boxing, press and broadcasting

Located in the Western Venue Cluster, the SECC will be at the beating heart of our Games. As well as being a major sports venue, hosting the boxing competition during the Games, it will also be the site of the Main Press Centre and the International Broadcast Centre, housing the world's press and media.

A huge expanse of indoor halls – there is more than enough room for all the equipment that the modern media requires. There are also a number of hotels on site which have been reserved for the media during our Games.

The Clyde Auditorium
- Weightlifting

Located on the site of the Scottish Exhibition & Conference Centre (SECC) within the Western Venue Cluster, the Clyde Auditorium will host weightlifting events during the Games.

Designed by the world famous architect Sir Norman Foster, the Clyde Auditorium is one of Scotland’s most iconic buildings. Known locally as ‘The Armadillo’ thanks to its unique design, this building will provide an exciting, modern venue for competitors and spectators.

This venue is also within walking distance of the Main Press Centre and International Broadcast Centre, ensuring that there will be plenty of media on-hand to cover one of the most popular Commonwealth sports.

© innoxiuss

[url]Russel Davies[/url]

© 1AlanM

© bertiebubblehead

© RJP Photography
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:33 pm

Kelvingrove

© Peter Gawthrop

[Image
© worldofjan

Kelvinhall International Sports Arena
- Wrestling and judo

Located in the Western Venue Cluster, the Kelvinhall International Sports Arena will play host to wrestling and judo events during the Games. This is a centre with an incredible sporting history and an equally exciting future.

This famous old building has been significantly upgraded over the years, making it a regular venue for international indoor athletics and boxing, it is also one of the busiest community sports centres anywhere in Scotland.

For 2014 this process of modernisation will continue, making it an ideal venue for wrestling and judo. There will be room for thousands of fans and the atmosphere will be electric throughout the competition, inspiring the athletes onto the performance of their lives.

After the Games, the new Kelvinhall will continue to attract top class boxing and other hall sports. It will also continue to be one of our biggest and best community sports centres.

© trishnmike

© bob the lomond

Nicole Forrester. Canada's No1 High jumper at the Kelvin Hall Glasgow.
© SD200

Daniel acknowledges the Glasgow fans at the Kelvin Hall during the Norwich Union International event on the 27th January 2007.
© SD200

60m hurdles, Norwich Union athletics at Kelvin Hall 2007
© SD200

Kelvingrove Lawn Bowls Complex
-Lawn bowls

Located in the Western Venue Cluster, Kelvingrove will play host to the lawn bowls competition during the Games. The University of Glasgow and the refurbished Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum will form a stunning backdrop for the four completely re-laid bowling greens, which will enable athletes to have the performance of their lives, and leave a lasting legacy for the people of Glasgow.

© Mam’zelleLulu

© melly

© miso

© biotron
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Scotstoun Stadium & Sports Centre
Table tennis and squash

Located in the Western Venue Cluster, Scotstoun will host the table tennis and squash events during the Games.

Already a major athletics venue and home to the National Badminton Academy, Scotstoun is due for significant upgrading and modernisation between now and 2014.

The existing tennis courts will be transformed into the table tennis arena and new squash courts will be built. This venue is already famous for the atmosphere it generates during competitions, with our planned upgrades, this will only get better.

As with all of our venue plans, Scotstoun will provide a magnificent setting for the Games, and a sustainable legacy for our community.

© CAAC

© CAAC

© Gareth Harper

Royal Commonwealth Pool, Edinburgh
- Diving

Tollcross International Aquatics Centre
- Race swimming

Located in the Eastern Venue Cluster, Tollcross will host the race swimming events during the Games.

The plans for Tollcross are significant. Already home to a 50 metre pool, winning the Games will see us build a second pool, and increase spectator capacity to around 6000. After the Games, the seating area, will be reduced to a sustainable 2500, more than adequate for attracting other major swimming championships.

The additional pool, used as a warm up and training facility during the Games, will provide more space for the community and for members of the City of Glasgow swim team.

© RJP Photography

© ClaireThomson

© ChristopherHenning

© ClaireThomson
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Strathclyde Park
- Triathlon

Located in the south of the city, Strathclyde Park will host the triathlon during the Games.

Strathclyde Park is a world renowned rowing course and already hosts major international events, Commonwealth and world championships on a regular basis. The broadcasters know it and spectators love it. The triathlon could not wish for a better venue during the Games.

A self contained site, just 20 minutes from the Games Village, Strathclyde Park will be packed with crowds watching the athletes battle it out on land and water.

Strathclyde Park is a picturesque setting for one of the most demanding of events.

© Motherwell AC

© azmil khalili

© totally pixelated

© SmartAlex

Cathkin Braes
- Mountain Biking

Greater Glasgow’s first international standard mountain biking course will be developed in ideal terrain in a country park overlooking Glasgow just 15 minutes south of the Village. This new development has come forward as a direct consequence of planning for 2014. It will be a legacy that will not only provide a venue capable of staging future international events, but also a facility that will benefit the communities of Glasgow and surrounding areas in a sport that is rapidly growing in popularity.

The hills and wooded terrain of Cathkin Braes, mixed with significant areas of open space, will provide a challenging course but also one that can be viewed easily by spectators. It lends itself fully to broadcasting and affords spectacular views over the city.

g.timeline

FutureGlasgow.co.uk
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:35 pm

Marathon

Strathclyde Police Rifle Ranges, Jackton
- Shooting

Venue map

crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:37 pm

New Venues

The National Indoor Sports Arena (NISA) & The National Velodrome

A 5,000 seat National Indoor Sports Arena and 2,000 seat velodrome with Sport Scotland HQ on a central avenue between is proposed for land adjacent to Celtic Park, accessed by the East End Regeneration Route, a new Parkhead train station and refurbished Dalmarnock station.

Badminton

A brand new venue for the community, the National Indoor Sports Arena, within walking distance of the Athletes’ Village, will host badminton during the Games.
A new international facility for Scotland, the NISA will play a huge part in the development and regeneration of our city.
Situated next to Celtic Park, where the opening ceremony will take place, and the new National Velodrome, NISA will have room for 5000 spectators. This will create an incredible atmosphere during the Games and a wonderful, sustainable championship venue afterwards.

Track cycling

The National Velodrome will be the new home for Scottish cycling and will host all of the track cycling events during the Games.
The velodrome will be a brand new venue for Scotland, within walking distance of the village. Another new international facility for Scotland, the National Velodrome will play a huge part in the development and regeneration of our city.
Situated near to Celtic Park, where the opening ceremony will take place, and the new National Indoor Sports Arena, the velodrome will be a wonderful Games venue and a permanent home for successive generations of Scottish cyclists.
With 4000 seats during the Games, reduced to 2500 afterwards, the velodrome will generate huge amounts of noise and excitement. Cycling is a sport in which Scotland excels, so this venue will be perfect for the passionate home crowd.
After the Games, this venue will be large enough to host major championships, but it will also be a sustainable community facility. As well as being a training venue for the elite cyclists, our velodrome will also be a place where youngsters can learn how to cycle safely.

crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:38 pm

The National Entertainments Arena (formerly SECC)
Gymnastics and netball

This brand new venue, on the site of the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC), will host gymnastics and the netball finals during the Games.
Designed by world renowned architect, Sir Norman Foster, this new arena will take your breath away. Incredible sight lines, an electric atmosphere and world class facilities make the National Entertainment Arena one of the most important new buildings in our country and with 12,500 seats, it will be one of the largest indoor venues in the UK.
During the Games, The National Entertainments Arena will primarily be a sports venue, but after the Games, there will be endless possibilities for concerts, sports and cultural performances.
As a part of the ongoing regeneration of the River Clyde, this new arena will leave a major sport and cultural legacy for our whole country.

Planned for the west car park of the SECC complex is a £350million development of an Urban Village, comprising 3,500 homes, an exciting development that promises to create a genuine "village" feel with tightly packed townhomes and tenements overlooked by two high rise towers, tentatively named "entry tower" and "boulevard tower" and two mid rise towers "9 floors above podium" will be located adjacent to the northern edge of the expressway forming an array of pavilion blocks.

Just west of this again will be located Glasgow’s new Riverside Museum, designed by internationally renowned Iraqi architect, Zaha Hadid.

crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:39 pm

The Glasgow 2014 Hockey Centre
Hockey

If we win the Games, a brand new National Hockey Centre will be built on Glasgow Green, Europe’s oldest Public Park and a short distance from the Athletes’ Village.
Hockey will have a new home at this amazing venue. Situated in the heart of one of the largest public parks in Europe, the new Hockey Centre will not only be a fantastic host venue during the games, but will leave a sustainable legacy for the community afterwards.

Yellow – Hockey Venue
Blue – Glasgow Green outline

Athletes Village

Situated in the Eastern Cluster beside the new National Indoor Sports Arena and Velodrome will be the new Athletes Village representing a doubling in Scale from the Melbourne Village, needless to say this will spur significant investment within the Clyde Gateway with 1,000 homes for 7,000 athletes proposed on some 40 hectares of abandoned land in Dalmarnock. In addition to housing the Village will accommodate all ancillary services required of such an event producing a self sufficient community and introducing a number of key facilities foreign to the present day Dalmarnock. These include a hotel, conference suites, security pens, media zones, shopping and entertainment facilities.

crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Minted Stereo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:07 pm

i'm away a wee message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minted-stereo/
Minted Stereo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jazza » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:19 pm

What a Post 8O some big changes to come...
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark N » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:34 pm

8O @ the Marathon Elevation !!!
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development