Clydeside Expressway

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Clydeside Expressway

Postby clydebankcelt » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:06 pm

Hi. Has anyone else noticed the old railway line that is being excavated running under the Clydeside Expressway. You get a good view of it driving eastbound along the "new" road. Would like to get some photos before they completely dig it up and fill it in again.
clydebankcelt
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:45 pm

ive seen this also ,wasnt this where the underpass that linked castlebank street under the old expressway
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby clydebankcelt » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:03 am

I don't think that is the underpass. I pass that road every day, and i'm sure i remember them ripping away that underpass a while ago. That underpass was slightly further up from this tunnel, and much shorter.
clydebankcelt
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Luco » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:03 am

Does anyone have a link to a route of the new system?

Where does the bridge go? :?:
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:09 am

Its discussed at another forum the tunnel youre talking about, it wasnt actually a tunnel but an open air cutting.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Clydeside Expressway

Postby netclectic » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:41 pm

I noticed this also when cycling past at the weekend thanks for reminding me.

note to self - go back with camera!
this week i have mostly been listening to...
netclectic
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby crazygray23 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:07 pm

yesterday i saw what looked like an old wall in the pit they have dug out from the train to anderston it was gone on teh way back but from what i saw it looked like it matched up with that old line that ran beside the granary and led into where the old partick station used to be, is this it :)

*btw liking the new forum*
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:42 pm

I think it's time the road name was changed to just 'Clydeside' as it's definetely not an expressway anymore!
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dave2 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:32 pm

For those of us who came to Glasgow fairly recently can anyone give any history for teh Clydeside expressway - what it was built over the top of, when built etc? I assume it was after the M* and docks/works on the side of the river started to close, but before SECC was built. I also assume it was just a fast route from Clyde Tunnel / Jordanhill / Clydebank area into the city centre.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:28 pm

Thre were some great photographs taken about the time of the creation of the Expressway on Eastbank
Model Railway Club website, taken by some GPO/BT guys from Dial House.
They gave a flavour of the changeover from dockside cobbled road/railways to public commuter carriageway.
Additionally, the colours in those photographs were rather nicely of that age.
Regrettably, after various hard drive failures ~ computers are such cheap friends nowadays ~ can't just
find the link at the moment.

MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby helpmaboab » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 am

dave2 wrote:For those of us who came to Glasgow fairly recently can anyone give any history for teh Clydeside expressway - what it was built over the top of, when built etc? I assume it was after the M* and docks/works on the side of the river started to close, but before SECC was built. I also assume it was just a fast route from Clyde Tunnel / Jordanhill / Clydebank area into the city centre.

Not too sure of dates when built, etc , but here's a link to info / images for the Anderson end of the expressway at the Kingston Bridge.

http://www.anderston.ukpals.com/partsix75-78.htm

This one shows the location where the expressway runs parallel to the railway viaduct just after the SECC (heading away from Glasgow)

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualm ... =2&t=4&x=1

And here's a link to an old aerial image over Meadowside Shipyard area from around 1930. The stretch of the expressway between Partick and Glasgow Harbour is built on the old railway line that can be seen running parallel and to the right hand side of the Clyde.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualm ... =2&t=4&x=1

I had a great image of the expressway running right next to the old Queens Dock before the dock was filled in and the SECC built on top of it. Will try to find again. Loads more pics on Mitchell Library site worth browsing through! :)
helpmaboab
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:26 pm

Aerial views of the Clyde shipyards and docks from Queen’s Dock to Renfrew.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:51 pm

having drove on the expressway yesterday for the first time in ages ive found its a great road to drive on but that bloody junction at the secc is a pain in the arse now, go around it to get to argyle street, go around it to get on to the expressway from argyle st which failed at the first attempt and i ended up at the side of the secc then i had to go round it again to try and get to the correct road for the expressway
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:50 am

This lovely chap has scanned a 'Old Clydeside Expressway Construction book' from 1972.

http://alexrsstuff.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... .html#more

A couple of other nice things on his site. I like his idea ... if only everyone did this!

Welcome to inside the attic, Here I shall be showing all sorts of items from the past all found inside the attic. Look out for All sorts of videos, photos and other memorabilia
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:22 pm

Auld yins should check out the list of councillors. One would be cabinet minister and a dozen other chancers.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development