The Glasgow Uni Masterplan

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The Glasgow Uni Masterplan

Postby Sharon » Mon May 17, 2004 4:41 pm

moved here for clarity and tidieness :D

nodrog

Few more, first of all University Gardens:

-------------------------------------------------

Not quite sure why the 'out' sign is so much fancier than the 'in' sign...

Though the top bit looks a little unconvincingly attached nowadays!

Now, Cranworth Street just up behind Byres Road.

Couple of nice street signs:

A similar-style sign for the tenement block itself:

And most puzzlingly, evidence that the entire street has been renumbered at some point in the past!

I thought at first the '2' of 27 was just no longer visible, but then I saw this one:

Going from being number 2 to number 50 is quite a jump!

-------------------------------------------

red kola

nodrog wrote:Few more, first of all University Gardens:

Not quite sure why the 'out' sign is so much fancier than the 'in' sign...

I presume the 'out' sign is an original, whilst the 'in' sign was done whilst creating the twin monstrosities of the Boyd Orr building and the QMU. How Glasgow Uni got away with fucking up Lilybank I'll never understand...

-------------------------------------

nodrog

red_kola wrote:I presume the 'out' sign is an original, whilst the 'in' sign was done whilst creating the twin monstrosities of the Boyd Orr building and the QMU. How Glasgow Uni got away with fucking up Lilybank I'll never understand...

I don't think so - that stretch of Lilybank is the original wall as far as i can tell - looking at this 1884ish plan you can see the round pillar at the 'out' on the RHS and just the curved wall at the 'in' side on the left:

Still, we can be thankful the money ran out before the Uni's 60s masterplan was completed - this involved bulldozing most everything between Uni avenue and Gt Western Rd for a complex of new buildings.... Hillhead would have pretty much vanished!

--------------------------------------------

crusty bint

Glasgow Uni masterplan

---------------------------------------------
nodrog

crusty_bint wrote:Glasgow Uni masterplan

That would have been the one I was thinking of. Goodbye Aston Lane!

I think we had a very lucky escape there...

There was also a plan to build a set of buildings in front of the south face of the uni - across where the flagpole is - that would have completely spoiled the classic view of the facade on the hill from down Kelvingrove Park way...
Thankfully sanity prevailed that time. Or perhaps funding ran out then as well? :)

-----------------------------------------------

crusty bint[b]

Take a closer look at the model... Sir George Gilbert Scott's original building was to have been demolished! I cant (and dont want to) imagine Gilmore Hill without it perched there 8O

----------------------------------------------------

[b]nodrog

crusty_bint wrote:Take a closer look at the model... Sir George Gilbert Scott's original building was to have been demolished! I cant (and dont want to) imagine Gilmore Hill without it perched there 8O

No I really don't think so - I suspect they just weren't bothering to show the exisiting buildings on the other side of University Avenue on the model, as the focus for all the development was on the north side.

----------------------------------------------

nodrog

Aha- here's the other plan I was thinking of; the proposed buildings across the front are in red.

The leftmost two were built - the West Medical Building as it is now.

This plan also nicely shows the recreation ground they built the chemistry building i'm sitting in now on top of...

--------------------------------------------------
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nodrog » Mon May 17, 2004 5:01 pm

Thanks for the tidying!

The University does of course also have a more current masterplan, involving taking over the Western infimary site when it moves away over the next few years.

I believe the uni gets first refusal on the land, but but I could be wrong.

The medical building and biotowers developments are part of that scheme.

Speaking of the biotowers, why not watch them being built in real time:

http://wc1.cent.gla.ac.uk/view/view.shtml

(I think that link should work off-campus, but could be wrong...)
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Mon May 17, 2004 5:38 pm

Good webcam view... interesting stuff.
Who's going to volunteer to go down and monkey about on camera? :D
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon May 17, 2004 5:48 pm

Who's going to volunteer to go down and monkey about on camera?

When the medical building was being built, we had a plan to write the word HELP in huge letters in the windows of several offices on our floor...

We got as far as a nice big white 'H' before the boss made us take it down! (see it top and right a bit of centre in the pic below)

The medical webcam was also _very_ handy to check the length of the queue at the burger van in university place!
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Mon May 17, 2004 6:48 pm

my unofficial step father(meaning he aint married my mum yet) is the man in charge of building and fitting out the bio towers and the refit of the bottany building that burnt down many moons ago, plus most of the other glasgow uni developments including the loch lomand research labs.

i'm sure any info you need or want could be obtained relatively easily. :D

you should have heard the storries from the protests about the bio towers, people saying it would spoil their views from their flats etc.... even though they live on great western road.... west end luvies, you've gotta hate them. ::):
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby john-g » Mon May 17, 2004 7:11 pm

I remember that well. They held up construction for months, to the extent that the research labs were on the verge of leaving the city.

Its incredible that people can be so selfish, still thats the west end for you.

Reminds me of what was it? Mugdock reservoir, the locals refused new water treatment works cos it'd spoil there views when taking their dog for a walk, never mind people in Glasgow are drinking polluted water! :roll:

Any renderings of the project?

The uni prior to destruction.
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby john-g » Mon May 17, 2004 7:24 pm

Found some!

john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby aliferste » Mon May 17, 2004 9:05 pm

john wrote:
Reminds me of what was it? Mugdock reservoir, the locals refused new water treatment works cos it'd spoil there views when taking their dog for a walk, never mind people in Glasgow are drinking polluted water! :roll:

No it was the waterworks in Milngavie.
They want a water treatment plant built but the locals dont want it. There was a masive petition and they won. Then the council says ok thats fine but in case terrorists put something in the water we are going to put a 6 foot high fence round it..........sheepishly i think the treatment plant has been given the go ahead.
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby rank_bajin » Tue May 18, 2004 5:21 pm

The remenants of my 3rd year Team Project at Uni may be of interest. It's the software for the touch screen kiosk in the lobby of the Computing Department. It's optimised for a weird touch screen display, and they seem to have let people play around with the functionality of the system a bit but the interactive map of the Uni campus still works, so anyway go to http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/infopoint then click University Campus Map, but be warned, we didn't spend as much time on this as we wanted so its a little rough.
rank_bajin
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:51 am

Simba wrote:Image

I think I may have seen the masterplan before, not sure about it though. Picture of 78 Southpark above.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby caine » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:13 pm

rank_bajin wrote:The remenants of my 3rd year Team Project at Uni may be of interest. It's the software for the touch screen kiosk in the lobby of the Computing Department. It's optimised for a weird touch screen display, and they seem to have let people play around with the functionality of the system a bit but the interactive map of the Uni campus still works, so anyway go to http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/infopoint then click University Campus Map, but be warned, we didn't spend as much time on this as we wanted so its a little rough.

there wasnt anyone on that project team called Bickett was there?
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:07 pm

aliferste wrote:
john wrote:

No it was the waterworks in Milngavie.
They want a water treatment plant built but the locals dont want it. There was a masive petition and they won. Then the council says ok thats fine but in case terrorists put something in the water we are going to put a 6 foot high fence round it..........sheepishly i think the treatment plant has been given the go ahead.

Given the go ahead- it certainly has, construction is well underway, and is very impressive. The residents complaining where typical NIMBY's, we want clean water but not the plant! It isn't even next door at least 300-400m away. Now significant landscaping is required to comply with planning.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Uni demolitions 60s and 70s

Postby ibtg » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:13 pm

Simba,

If you want to see more pictures of the area around the Uni that were demolished in those decades, try to get a hold of the book 'A Hillhead Album' by Henry Morton. It's pricey to buy, but you can probably see a copy in the Mitchell Glasgow Room.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yourebarred » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:59 pm

ah yes, the 6ft high terrorist proof fence
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nodrog » Fri May 18, 2007 12:07 pm

Details of the rebuild of the Hub building, which is due to start shortly... (and about bloody time too!)

Details here:
http://www.gla.ac.uk/studentinformation/hub/

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development