10 Things you should know about the Riverside Museum

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

10 Things you should know about the Riverside Museum

Postby glasgowLOST » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:48 pm

Building of the proposed Riverside Museum on the Clyde has not yet started, but already costs have almost doubled and it looks like the architect has lost interest in the project!

gL.
glasgowLOST
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Socceroo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:25 pm

Whilst i do not like Hadid's designs for the new Transport Museum, i understand that she is still very involved in the London Aquatics Centre for the Olympics.

She along with Architects on other Olympic facilities, were asked to make savings after it was discovered that the building costs were outside the budget.

And has the Transport Museum been put out to tender?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ymc » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:09 pm

While I too am frustrated at the way these starchitect projects seem to be handled, for the purposes of accuracy her site does still contain the brief for the Museum of Transport.

It's not a particularly easy to navigate site - oh, the irony ::): - but you can find the details by clicking on:

Projects->Cultural->Glasgow Musuem of Transport, UK

Good luck!
ymc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:17 pm

Lest we forget.

Note : As ever, the Herald link doesn't work.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:54 pm

In fairness, a lot of people forget to update blogs these days.

That reminds me, I am going on holiday 5 years ago. I will tell you about it next year.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby ymc » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:04 pm

It looks as if her project has secured the additional funding. Original article from bd.

Zaha Glasgow museum granted extra funding

06 July 2007

Extra funding for Zaha Hadid’s Museum of Transport in Glasgow has been approved after SNP opposition councillors withdrew their objections and agreed a £14 million increase in the budget.

SNP leader councillor John Mason had compared the spiralling costs, now standing at £74 million, to those of the Scottish Parliament building. But at a scrutiny committee meeting last week councillors voted unanimously to grant the funding.

“I’ve been opposed to the cost running away without control,” Mason said. “But a lot of questions were asked, and we were reassured that it was justified.”

The initial budget for the museum was £50 million, but had already risen to £60 million by last October. The increase was blamed on the rising cost of steel, concrete and glass, and the increased complexity of the design.
ymc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby scoobydoo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:37 pm

Socceroo wrote:

Yes
scoobydoo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowLOST » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:48 pm

For an explanation of the following, please go here:

http://www.glasgowlost.org/gL_news/inde ... c=32.msg43

gL.

glasgowLOST
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:47 pm

Not that I will be able to change your opinion GL but I think you will find that Bridget was not referring to the amount the new museum would raise through revenue but through the economic benefits of larger visitor numbers and the amount people could spend within the local economy therefore providing a financial benefit to the Glasgow Economy.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scoobydoo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:50 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
Socceroo wrote:

Yes

Should have added that only one company actually submitted a tender with the rest pulling out of the process presumeably as they saw the risks associated with the project being too high. With only one company submitting a tender I am absolutely astonished that the Council still proceeded - how can they prove/ justify value for money.

Although the most recent cost estimate has been put at £74M I wouldn't be surprised if it rose further. I would suggest it will cost nearer £100M by the time it is finished.
scoobydoo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowLOST » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:47 am

Alex Glass wrote:Not that I will be able to change your opinion GL but I think you will find that Bridget was not referring to the amount the new museum would raise through revenue but through the economic benefits of larger visitor numbers and the amount people could spend within the local economy therefore providing a financial benefit to the Glasgow Economy.

Ah ken Alex ma china, it was a wee bit of tongue-in-cheek about Jack's wife! ::):

That said, there is though a more important issue: if Bridget seriously thinks that a compromised building by an architect of debatable merit will draw in excess of £400 million to the local economy over 8 years, then is she is even dumber than even I thought!!!

Also "Guggenheim" is THE major international premium brand in museums and, further, the Guggenheim in Bilbao was only one small part of a wider economic strategic plan which included major projects conceived by some of the world's most prestigious architects... so please Mrs McConnell don't take us for idiots, as the joke is on you!

gL.
glasgowLOST
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby glasgowLOST » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:54 am

scoobydoo wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:
Socceroo wrote:

Yes

Should have added that only one company actually submitted a tender with the rest pulling out of the process presumeably as they saw the risks associated with the project being too high. With only one company submitting a tender I am absolutely astonished that the Council still proceeded - how can they prove/ justify value for money.

Although the most recent cost estimate has been put at £74M I wouldn't be surprised if it rose further. I would suggest it will cost nearer £100M by the time it is finished.

Couldn't agree more scoobydoo, it's obvious that the price tag will break the £100 million barrier and the fact that the city council pushed this plan forward shows the degree of the short-sighted stupidity we are dealing with.

From the Evening Times, October 25th 2006:
The first-stage contract was awarded to HPG Construction after three other firms - Balfour Beatty, Bovis Lend Lease and Sir Robert McAlpine - all withdrew after initially saying they were interested in tendering.

gL.
glasgowLOST
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Socceroo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:56 pm

The initial Contract - the first Stage was only the enabling works Contract which was awarded to HBG Construction not HGP?

The enabling works were always going ahead to remediate and prepare the land and Public Utility Services irrespective of what is getting built down there.

If HBG's price at tender was within the budget / cost plan when the other Contractors pulled out for whatever reason, then the Council or vehicle that is awarding the contracts were within their rights to do so.

Too much rhetoric on this thread and not enough accurate facts.

Back to the original question. Has the Transport Museum been put out to tender?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scoobydoo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:02 pm

Socceroo wrote:
Too much rhetoric on this thread and not enough accurate facts.

Back to the original question. Has the Transport Museum been put out to tender?

As far as I know the initial award to HBG was to allow further refinement of the design and then finalisation of the costing - which is the reported £74M. No remediation of the site has been done by HBG. All works on the site carried out to date have been by Farrans Construction as part of there highways contract for Glasgow Harbour, site clearance and more recently they have started on the new quay walls.

HBG will then be responsible for awarding individual sub-contracts for the construction of the museum i.e. HBG are the main contractor. Works on the building are due to start in November 2007 so there wouldn't be sufficient time if they were thinking of tendering it again.

These facts are accurate. If you have been relying on an interpretation of a committee report or what the ET says then you have picked things up wrongly, or possibly you have interpreted it the way they want you to.
scoobydoo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scoobydoo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:23 pm

Socceroo wrote:If HBG's price at tender was within the budget / cost plan when the other Contractors pulled out for whatever reason, then the Council or vehicle that is awarding the contracts were within their rights to do so.

But it wasn't. This is why the first stage award to HBG was to look at altering the design and finding ways of reducing the cost which seems to have failed miserably. Trust me HBG have the contract for the full museum construction.

The tenders that were previously issued were for the full contract. The initial award to HBG was just that - it was stage 1 of the their contract with the further stages subject to further consideration of costs etc.
scoobydoo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development