Silverburn and Pollok Civic Realm

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Silverburn and Pollok Civic Realm

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:04 pm

X8 Motorway Service, 56, 57,

These are the main buses. There are others that take a longer route like the 3, 45, and a lot of the smaller services.

There is still some building work going on within the Winter Garden which you walk through from the bus terminus.

Also at the terminus there is building work ongoing at the Pollok Civic Realm. Hopefully by the summer everything will be finished and less disruption for people within the area and those visiting.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Alex Glass wrote:X8 Motorway Service, 56, 57,

These are the main buses. There are others that take a longer route like the 3, 45, and a lot of the smaller services.

There is still some building work going on within the Winter Garden which you walk through from the bus terminus.

Also at the terminus there is building work ongoing at the Pollok Civic Realm. Hopefully by the summer everything will be finished and less disruption for people within the area and those visiting.

Winter Garden? Is it next to the People's Palace, then?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:19 pm

Naw it's next ta Brock Burn. ::): ::): ::):
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:51 pm

fourbytwo wrote:As it has become obvious to Tesco, and anyone else who looks.....the disabled areas outside their entrance are being abused, the location of 'other disabled zones' should be reviewed as a matter or urgency....AND NOTICES SHOULD BE EASIER READ FROM THE MOTORWAY ENTRANCES.
Teething problems aside, much of this is down to bad design and should be looked at soon.
Just another gripe worth mentioning.....who designed the Bus Stances at the side entrance to Silverburn....?
A bit of research would have revealed that each bay FACES the WIND and RAIN, and those awaiting buses are currently having to stand BEHIND the shelters, to avoid being drenched......Someone should get their bum felt for that piece of work....!

The bus station will have been designed by an architect to look good but forgot what real life is like. Most buildings give out nice images, but it's a warm night, or sunny day image, IMHO it's a great design if it is a pleasure to use and looks good even on dull wet Glasweigan days! Hopefully the bus station can be sorted. I suspect the shelters were designed like that to prevent them falling foul of smoking rules.

As for disabled parking, that's abused everywhere. Don't forget 1 in 5 in Glasgow are registered disabled and I believe a healthy trade of blue badges goes on on the black market, office workers buying them for the privilege of free all day on street parking in Glasgow on yellow lines.

I don't understand the comment about more signs being read from the motorway entrances (exits?). What signs are difficult to read?

As for bus information, I'd use http://www.glasgowbus.tk failing that transportdirect.info
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:56 pm

I believe the centre does not officially open until February.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:37 am

Alex Glass wrote:X8 Motorway Service, 56, 57,

The 57 sounds a good idea. I can catch one across from the clap clinic.

Thanks Alex.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:04 pm

I've been following this thread for some time now and I must say I'm pleased to see so much interest in it. I think the Silverburn and Pollok Civic Realm is a great idea! Staying with the mall idea for a shopping centre, rather than tearing the malls down to replace them with vast uncovered open areas, and a wide perimeter dotted with big concrete-box stores, which is the growing practice over here in North America.

They call these new shopping-centres, open air retail developments. They're a disaster! I live in a small town of 130000. We had three good malls and no open-air retail developments. Now we've got one-and-a-half malls, two gigantic open air retail developments, one of which is already failing after a mere three years of operation, and another new open air retail development currently under construction. We are undergoing a real evolution in the retail business.

What are the advantages, if any, of these open air retail developments? I'm not at all sure. Hey, it will likely bring about a reduction in the number of shopping carts that we have become accustomed to seeing deposited in our residential areas: under the open air retail developments the new "malls" are located so far from residential areas that fewer carts would be "stolen". Yes, and measure this "advantage" against shopping in stifling heat or knee-deep snow. Ach.......
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:40 pm

HollowHorn wrote:I believe the centre does not officially open until February.

march it opens HH

in regards to the disabled parking we try to combat it as much as we can but contractors do things to suit themselves. the `euro car parks` controlled area is nothing to do with silverburn as tescos car park goes from the roundabout at the petrol station up to tesco .
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:45 pm

Dugald wrote:I've been following this thread for some time now and I must say I'm pleased to see so much interest in it. I think the Silverburn and Pollok Civic Realm is a great idea! Staying with the mall idea for a shopping centre, rather than tearing the malls down to replace them with vast uncovered open areas, and a wide perimeter dotted with big concrete-box stores, which is the growing practice over here in North America.

They call these new shopping-centres, open air retail developments. They're a disaster! I live in a small town of 130000. We had three good malls and no open-air retail developments. Now we've got one-and-a-half malls, two gigantic open air retail developments, one of which is already failing after a mere three years of operation, and another new open air retail development currently under construction. We are undergoing a real evolution in the retail business.

What are the advantages, if any, of these open air retail developments? I'm not at all sure. Hey, it will likely bring about a reduction in the number of shopping carts that we have become accustomed to seeing deposited in our residential areas: under the open air retail developments the new "malls" are located so far from residential areas that fewer carts would be "stolen". Yes, and measure this "advantage" against shopping in stifling heat or knee-deep snow. Ach.......

we have them here also they call it the glasgow fort :) but forgive me if im wrong but im assuming you liken silverburn to an open air retail development which is wron as silverburn is entirely under roof the civic realm is a totally seperate development to us
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:00 pm

crazygray23 wrote:
we have them here also they call it the glasgow fort :) but [i]forgive me if im wrong but im assuming you liken silverburn to an open air retail development which is wron as silverburn is entirely under roof the civic realm is a totally seperate development to [/i]us

No CG, I didn't think the Silverburn complex was all under one roof. I'm the guy who said:

"I think the Silverburn and Pollok Civic Realm is a great idea! Staying with the mall idea for a shopping centre, rather than tearing the malls down to replace them with vast uncovered open areas, and a wide perimeter dotted with big concrete-box stores, which is the growing practice over here in North America".

I find being under a roof when it's snowing or pouring rain; or being in an air-conditioned mall when the temperature is sky-high, far better than dashing from one big box to another big big box under these unpleasant weather conditions.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:23 pm

Does anyone(AG?) know what happened to the moving clock from the old centre? It'll be a shame if it was just flung in a skip.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:58 pm

Peekay wrote:Does anyone(AG?) know what happened to the moving clock from the old centre? It'll be a shame if it was just flung in a skip.

PK

Have you looked on ebay?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:21 pm

the local community, as well as Councillor Glass were promised that the moving clock and the 'Reconciliation" statue from outside the old Pollok Centre, would remain as community assets, and be stored as such by the Council.
But you are right to check eBay.....with so much being 'flogged-off' by the Council...Spare Ground, Schools, Vacant Land, and of course parcels of Pollok Park,,,you never really know for sure!
Would expect Alex to keep on top of this situation to avoid being 'buried' in any backlash.....!
On my previous point about signs approaching Silverburn, I still challenge the operators why the 'other' disabled parking areas are not signed, its only the Tesco area that actually shows the disabled parking logo for approaching cars....!
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:54 pm

Peekay

The old Clock was scraped. Following efforts to pass it on to anyone interested and finding no takers and with no place to store it the developer took it down. There was also some mixed feeling within the local community about keeping the clock. Following a small survey on a local forum most people indicated that they did not feel that there was a place for the clock within the new centre and also indicated that as it never worked properly the best thing to do was scrap it.

The 'Reconciliation" statue from outside the old Pollok Centre, as indicated by Fourbytwo has been stored away and will be brought back when the Pollok Civic Realm has been completed.

As for the disabled parking - I will discuss notices to indicate their location with the developer.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:02 pm

I received a private E-mail concerning this topic earlier today and it was inadvertently lost. Unfortunately I don't know who sent it. Would whoever it was kindly send it again.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development