Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Silverburn and Pollok Civic Realm

Postby Zipper » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:30 am

Zipper
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Joan Burnie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:24 pm

It always amazes’ me that some Glasgow folk always have to bring the city down. Rejoice it the fact that we have one of the most vibrant cities in Europe. Ok we do have problems both social and economic but if your whinging over just a chair and no cash machine, maybe its time you moved some where perfect.

Try Atlantis
Read my page in the Record
Joan Burnie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:34 pm

Great Advertising

Hopefully this will keep out poor people and folk on benefits

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby OLDFART » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:38 pm

whether the army of security quoted will stop the 'unwashed' remains to be seen....incidently, who defines who is worthy of being admitted to the 'holy of holies' and who will be barred...?

I do agree fourbytwo, Silverburn is not meant to serve the people of Pollok, Priesthill they dont fit the income bracket Silverburn is tring to attract. I give it a few years when the glitter turns to dust and Primark and similar retailers decend & Debenhams is a distant memory.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:43 pm

Its a pity the Primarks not opening.
Fossil
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:06 am

Zipper wrote:Image

It resembles a cross between Holyrood and Glasgow Airport.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:10 pm

8O very interesting response from JB (of Record fame)...pity she did not actually live within the Pollok Areas surrounding Silverburn, then her comments may have been knowledgeable rather than critical.
Not convinced that the correct research has been applied when considering the long term strategy of Silverburn, and you are correct in assuming that several of the foundation stores may move on, if their own research has not been too clever about clientele.
Daughter commented the other day about Primark.....our understanding of Primark at Silverburn is this....
Primark were denied access to Silverburn, as 2 of the main stores, M & S and Debs, both only agreed to take space in Silverburn if Cheaper Shops like Primark were not allowed in.....
If this was confirmed, it again shows the shopping structure within Silverburn a bit flawed....
Don't get me wrong folks....I am trying to support this complex within my community, as it is urgently needed as is the jobs it could offer to the local area....it's just that so many similar centres are struggling due to setting their aims too high, and not having the correct mixture of shops available, both top class and cheap and cheerful, and we cannot afford to see this going to the wall because of admin. and projection bean-counters.....
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:10 pm

I don't have a problem with shopping centres. I see them in the same light as I see buggery; fine for those who are into that sort of stuff...just so long as it never becomes compulsory!

The bit I genuinely don't get is the expectation that opening a new shopping centre will somehow, miraculously increase the total amount of money spent. Disposable income is surely finite and every £ spent in Silverburn is a £ less spent in Braehead (or the Fort, or that place in EK or Lomond Shores etc)
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:34 pm

It is good to read all the different views about Silverburn.

It is interesting that some people only express negative opinions. Hopefully the people who have found work will have emore money to spend at this time of year and maybe some will have a better Christmas this year than they had last.

I have heard a number of very interesting rumours in my time but a spoof jewelry robbery does nothing to help improve the image that some people will have of areas like Pollok.

It is interesting to hear that Marks and Spencer and Debenham don't like shops like Primark. In Braehead Primark is situated almost next door to M&S. Whilst Primark is also located in the shopping centre in East Kilbride where Debenhams is one of the other stores. I and sure that I heard TKMax will be taking a unit in Silverburn. The area where it will be located is still under construction. Unfortunately some tenants of the former centre thought there was a cash cow and they could hold out for big money rather than choose to take premises within the new centre when offered and interestingly they are not a store which could be described as upper market.

As for the project management of a £350million project. I have been involved in many discussions with the developer and his organisation for the past eight years and during this time I have always found them to be helpful and very professional. The fact that not all shops are open yet has in my opinion ensured that there is a more gradual build up in the number of people coming to Silverburn. On the first Saturday 80,000 people came to see what was on offer. There was some strain on the roads network but I do think this could have been a lot worse if every shop had been ready for the opening day.

The viability argument is a more difficult one to gauge but I do recall a discussion with the Store Manager of Tesco prior to the new store being built. Tesco Pollok had one of the worst spend per head in any store in the whole of Britain. If it had continues as it was it would not have been viable. Unless there is the ability to draw in more customers that are available within the Pollok area Marks & Spencer would not have chosen to come to Silverburn and the people of Pollok, who 15 years ago where crying out for a store like M&S to be available would be the losers.

I recently had a discussion with someone who pointed out that Silverburn was the first time that he had seen a developer delivering what had been promised in their FIRST PRESENTATION
Last edited by Alex Glass on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:06 am

Tesco Pollok had one of the worst spend per head in any store in the whole of Britain. If it had continues as it was it would nit have been viable

strange situation then as well it opened and had more competition it was hailed as great success. Near end it didn't have much competition but wasn't viable. I still remember large queues at Tescos people with trollies full so i think someone is pulling your leg

The people still need to eat so where did they go? Govan Asda or Braehead seems to be popular destinations.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:11 am

OLDFART wrote:
Tesco Pollok had one of the worst spend per head in any store in the whole of Britain. If it had continues as it was it would nit have been viable

strange situation then as well it opened and had more competition it was hailed as great success. Near end it didn't have much competition but wasn't viable. I still remember large queues at Tescos people with trollies full so i think someone is pulling your leg

The people still need to eat so where did they go? Govan Asda or Braehead seems to be popular destinations.

I think you may be confusing the "large queues at Tescos people with trollies" at the taxi rank with "large queues at Tescos people with trollies" at the check-out intending to pay.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:12 pm

Just back from Silverburn. Love the high ceilings very cathedral like. I really want to get a shot of the sky-lights but I don’t think they would take too kindly to me lying on the ground.
Yo Sushi was mobbed maybe next time.

The only downside was Mrs Fossil buying

All in Excellent!

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:40 pm

Did you run into My Kitten?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:51 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Did you run into My Kitten?

Here, its no Glasgow airport
Fossil
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:40 pm

Fossil wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:Did you run into My Kitten?

Here, its no Glasgow airport

I was there showing the mother around. She was impressed. Yo Sushi had a massive queue, as did cost a bloomin forture coffee. Roll on Nandos!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development