Contaminated Land around Glasgow and Lanarkshire

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Sighthill

Postby jimmy1959 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:51 am

Sorry mate but Sighthill was not built on the waste of the St. Rollox chemical works as a lot of people think the chemical works where a little bit south west of the housing estate beside Townhead actually. I remember the stinky ocean with its green water running down from the direction of the old St. Rollox station to the tunnel into Buchanan Street. The tunnel is burrowed through where some of the waste lay and the reason that you smell it in Queen Street tunnel is that the waste is still leaking into it. The first two blocks of Sighthill opened in early 1965 and are the two beside the Cowlairs incline the last two blocks opened in 1970 and are the two at the old Caledonian Railway works.
jimmy1959
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Contaminated Land around Glasgow and Lanarkshire

Postby bAzTNM » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:54 am

I heard a rumour from somebody in Glasgow Green (who you will know) that he worries about regular visitors to the Green's health in 20 years, especially the part from around Rutherglen Bridge to Dalmarnock Bridge. Particular stretch is supposed to be pretty toxic with stuff under the concrete from 50 years ago.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:56 pm

bAzTNM wrote:I heard a rumour from somebody in Glasgow Green (who you will know) that he worries about regular visitors to the Green's health in 20 years, especially the part from around Rutherglen Bridge to Dalmarnock Bridge. Particular stretch is supposed to be pretty toxic with stuff under the concrete from 50 years ago.

In 2000 it was discovered that there was an open-air pool, or Lido, on Glasgow Green which had been filled-in with toxic coal tar waste. The pool had been under construction when WWII broke out, and it was never completed after the war due to shortage of money and materials. It was positioned roughly down from Monteith Place, and I think it wasn't actually filled-in until the 1950's. It was decided that the best course of action was to leave the toxic waste undisturbed.

Edit: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/713508.stm
dazza
-
-

Postby kirstymaclaren » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:16 pm

There's something going on with a strange smell under drumchapel health centre. Think it might be a blocked pipe but its been stinking for ages!

(insert sarcastic comment here)
kirstymaclaren
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Celyn » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:12 pm

That sounds like a case for "Taggart".

I get to watch a lot of "Taggart", both ancient and new(ish), when I visit my Dad, and I have decided that any time a character is shown anywhere near water, then that person is for the off. And pipes are surely watery enough, so there you go - pipe is utterly blocked by a deid body. AND an extra deid body just for the surprise element.

See me? See clever detective?

::):
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vintagebuff » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:11 am

Just read this thread and did a wee google search on the stinky ocean and found this little gem

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index ... opic=12403

Can only imagine what the smell must've been like in the 50's and 60's as its still honkin today.
Vintagebuff
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RDR » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:07 am

The smelliest part of Glasgow must be the sewage works next to the Southern.
On a hot day, despite the sewage works attempts to deodorise, its absolutley honking.
I cannot imagine, despite denials going back decades, that the land surrounding it, isn't contaminated in some way?
Makes you wonder, why we are building the biggest hospital in Europe beside it.

The land Ravenscraig stood on is now totally cleared and some buildings have already gone up on it (Motherwell College & the New Sports Centre). You do wonder though if they have managed to remove all the contamination from that site, which I think was extensive.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vintagebuff » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 pm

Yeah it is pretty rank. The smell in the energy center any time I've had to go in is pretty bad although it wasn't really noticeable in the first phase during construction.

Still think the remnants of the smell from the stinky ocean is far worse though. I drive through it several times a day.

Does anybody know what the round building in the car park across from the Pinkston Dv flats is or was?
Vintagebuff
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:55 pm

RDR wrote:The smelliest part of Glasgow must be the sewage works next to the Southern.
On a hot day, despite the sewage works attempts to deodorise, its absolutley honking.
I cannot imagine, despite denials going back decades, that the land surrounding it, isn't contaminated in some way?

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right - are you suggesting that the land around the sewage works might be contaminated in some way because of the works itself? If so, I'd like to know what your reasoning for this is.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:02 pm

I agree with Vintagebuff - the stench of the hydrogen sulphide around Pinkston Road is far worse than the odour around Shieldhall WwTW.

Shieldhall wouldn't even claim second spot on my Glasgow 'stinky' list - that place would go to the combined pong of Daldowie WwTW and Paterson's landfill site at Broomhouse.
Last edited by Glesga_Steve on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:10 pm

The only stuff I have eaten from my garden has been grown in bags of compost. I stay close enough to worry about the chromium residues from Rutherglen and Cambuslang. A minor plus point is that the stuff doesn't smell (to the best of my knowledge) :|
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Vintagebuff wrote:Does anybody know what the round building in the car park across from the Pinkston Dv flats is or was?

I'm assuming you mean this.

It's provides some sort of access to the old railway tunnel that ran to/from Buchanan Street station.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:I agree with Vintagebuff - the stench of the hydrogen sulphide around Pinkston Road is far worse than the odour around Shieldhall WwTW.

Shieldhall wouldn't even claim second spot on my Glasgow 'stinky' list - that place would go to the combined pong of Daldowie WwTW and Paterson's landfill site at Broomhouse.

I'm reminded of the story of Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain on tour in rural Ireland some years back. Phil farts a fart of epic aromatic proportions and, winding the car window down, asks Aly 'do you smell that silage?'

Aly replies 'yes, how much of it did you eat?'.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
RDR wrote:The smelliest part of Glasgow must be the sewage works next to the Southern.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right - are you suggesting that the land around the sewage works might be contaminated in some way because of the works itself? If so, I'd like to know what your reasoning for this is.

Not so much the sewage works, Steve, but the industrial legacy left round the hospital
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dingdong » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:25 pm

what about the site off the old mine just up from the summerston asda when i was young it went on fire the ground between there and the railway line was that warm you could feel the heat thru your shoes also being daft boys it was a great place for building wee fires as ground was that warm you could light paper easily,also the stinky burn ran about where the asda carpark is now dont where that went after they built asda.
dingdong
First Stripe
First Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Development